Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

now i'm getting why people caution on no major decisions in the first year....

Notices

now i'm getting why people caution on no major decisions in the first year....

Old 03-12-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
The AA program does not say "no major decisions in the first year" It is a treatment centre construct, with a certain amount of wisdom based in the idea that if you do nothing major, you won't make any major mistakes. Then again, no mistakes equals no growth, no learning, no pain no gain. Making the mistakes in the second year wont make them any less painful.
Ditto.....

Bulldog- I had to giggle when I saw the title of your post then read it was about .... a puppy. I have had my share of puppies but hadn't considered that to be one of the things that might fall into a "major decision" category for the first year adage.

For me, big decisions and changes rest in consultation with my HP, sponsor, and studying what the BB says, along with using the rest of my sober support system. That said....I am 384 days sober and have had two jobs (the second and current is back at the restaurant where I work), and entered into a relationship that will lead to marriage (that started at 5 mo sober - important footnote, we dated in high school and are definitely not a "typical" couple). I am completely comfortable- excited and grateful, truthfully, among other things- that I've had the opportunity to make these decisions. Everyone is different, and that's part of the beauty of recovery; using common experience and applying it to our own lives individually now that we are sober and GET to do that.

Keep going- use the help and support here and IRL.....and good luck with the puppy