SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Physical Changes (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/405976-physical-changes.html)

RockNRose 03-09-2017 06:54 PM

Physical Changes

Just curious to what kind of physical changes you all noticed and how far into your recovery were you when you noticed them? (I.E. weight loss, skin tone, less wrinkles, etc?)

I'm hoping in the next coming weeks to see the dark circles under my eyes go away and wouldn't mind if a few pounds she themselves!

fini 03-09-2017 06:57 PM

the two main ones for me were less fatigue and lower blood pressure.

Stellar45 03-09-2017 07:45 PM

Lower pulse rate at about 10 days. My pulse was rapid!
Sleeping soundly for 8 hours or so after 2 weeks. Chronic sleeplessness and insomnia hovered around till the end of that second week of sobriety.

ScottFromWI 03-09-2017 07:48 PM

I lost weight, my BP went down, my skin looked and felt better, and I just felt better overall. Lots to look foreward to!

RockNRose 03-09-2017 08:30 PM

I'm afraid of the insomnia/sleeplessness. I've always had severe insomnia as well as clinical depression. I'm a terribly cranky person when tired. Picked up some unisom sleep melts so hopefully they'll help when that part starts to kick in.

Mklove 03-09-2017 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by RockNRose (Post 6361304)
I'm afraid of the insomnia/sleeplessness. I've always had severe insomnia as well as clinical depression. I'm a terribly cranky person when tired. Picked up some unisom sleep melts so hopefully they'll help when that part starts to kick in.

Yes, cranky too when I don't get sleep. I used a fan and also moved into my own bed. I was overthinking sleep and waking H up. I used to pass out, certainly thinking wasn't what I was doing when I used to fall into bed. 5 mg of Melatonin really helped too.

kathmandu 03-10-2017 12:51 AM

I put 3kg on!

Done4today 03-10-2017 01:05 AM

The bloating and abdominal pains subsided within the first week to ten days.

totfit 03-10-2017 05:41 AM

I think a huge misconception and reason a lot of folks return to drinking is that merely quitting drinking causes great changes. The reality for me was that quitting drinking merely allowed me to take action to make positive changes in my health and most everything else in my life. Quitting drinking is only the first step. The action afterwards dictates whether we lose weight, get healthier, overcome anxiety, become more financially secure, improve our relationships, etc. All of the time people say, well I quit drinking, but nothing is getting better. Well, things just don't get better, we have to make them better. I ask myself when not "right", what can I do to change this? I learned the not so easy way not to expect things to just get better.

anyak313 03-10-2017 06:31 AM

My skin definitely looks better now. I never really thought it looked bad while I was drinking but now that I stopped I notice how much nicer it looks. I also had these itchy bumps all over my arms and legs that I would scratch until they bled. That recently subsided (thank god) and my legs no lonthwr look like I was mauled by a wild animal.

royalbliss 03-10-2017 07:24 AM

My face broke out quite badly after I quit. I'm guessing the detox, stress and unbalanced hormones. Now on day 68 and it's 93 percent calm as far as acne. But my skin is glowing otherwise. It really kicked up when I started adding daily walks. I started to lose weight before I quit drinking so I don't know if I've lost much since quitting but I feel better about myself especially when looking in the mirror. I also cut out coffee and get better sleep and stay better hydrated; know that helps too

thomas11 03-10-2017 07:24 AM

Better sleep, better nutrition, lost weight, skin tone is the way its supposed to be, blood pressure returned to normal, good bathroom schedule, higher energy level.

I also started working out strenuously so my strength and endurance has gone up substantially. I will never let alcohol ruin my life again. I shouldn't have let it ruin it the first time.

RockNRose 03-10-2017 07:25 AM

I think I'm going to take a picture with each passing sober week so I can compare the changes. Should be fun ��. I'm now on 48 hours since my last drink, was nice to wake up not feeling hungover or sluggish!

shortstop81 03-10-2017 07:42 AM

The changes are subtle and have creeped up over the past 4 months sober. But physically I have less stomach bloating and less GI issues in general. My skin pallor has improved and my eyes are brighter and I look generally less tired. My heart rate and BP have returned to normal.

Hebnick 03-10-2017 10:51 AM

Well put