SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Anxiety medication for withdraws (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/405953-anxiety-medication-withdraws.html)

Harley1973 03-09-2017 11:34 AM

Anxiety medication for withdraws

A little over two weeks ago I spent a few days in a detox facility and was prescribed medication to take as needed for alcohol withdraws, and now I have a few people in AA saying I should absolutely under no circumstances take this because they say I'm not truly sober if I'm taking anxiety medication to treat the alcohol problem. Today is really bad for me and I'm extremely anxious but I've avoided taking the medication because what these people said.

I know medical advice is not allowed but just asking opinions on what these people in AA said.

Incontrol15 03-09-2017 11:38 AM

My personal opinion is two fold...

1. This med is addictive too. Gabapentin worked wonders for me and is less addictive. So beware.

2. I'm not a fan of AA and this is one of the reasons. I take gabapentin as need and wellbutrin for depression. My life is a nightmare without WB. Every time I stop taking it, I fall into deep depression. No thanks.

Not that it's necessary to change groups, but I've been very impressed with SMART recovery. I just wish there were more meetings in my area.

biminiblue 03-09-2017 11:40 AM

That's not an AA thing, that's one (or how ever many) peoples' OPINIONs. Opinions in AA are worth what you pay for them. :)

Here's the official flyer on AA's stance on medication

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-11_...ersMedDrug.pdf

Short answer, "Thanks for your input," and walk away. Listen to your own inner voice/gut/Higher Power.

That said, some of them can be addicting - I would be careful, but you are most certainly sober if used as directed by a doctor.

...and that's my free advice. :wink3:

Harley1973 03-09-2017 11:55 AM

I was prescribed 60 of these pills when I left detox a little over two weeks ago, I've only taken maybe 5 or 6 because they're prescribed as needed. I forgot to mention these same people claim you're not truly sober if you smoke cigarettes.

I still smoke cigarettes because I'm not ready to quit two addictions at once!!

Harley1973 03-09-2017 11:58 AM

I'm really thinking about dropping AA and finding another plan or at possibly change the meetings I attend since there are several in surrounding towns withing 10 miles.

ScottFromWI 03-09-2017 12:02 PM

As Bimini said, much of what other people "claim" is kind of irrelevant. Some people claim the world is flat too, right?

Bottom line you have been prescribed meds by your doctor to use during withdrawal. As long as your doctor is fully aware of your drinking history and you are taking the meds as prescribed to help your anxiety during withdrawal, that's all that should really matter to you. If you are scared that there may be a problem with addiciton to these meds, tell your doctor...he/she may be able to prescribe something else more appropriate.

totfit 03-09-2017 12:02 PM

Unless they happened to be your Dr. they just might be FOS. Do what your Doctor said to do, the way your Dr. said to do. He is qualified to give medical advice. As for the "smoking" issue, alcohol is the more serious immediate issue. The technicalities of being sober or not are a bunch of hooha, but do be aware that more alcoholics die from smoking than they do drinking in the long run.

ScottFromWI 03-09-2017 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Harley1973 (Post 6360673)
I'm really thinking about dropping AA and finding another plan or at possibly change the meetings I attend since there are several in surrounding towns withing 10 miles.

If you feel AA is helpful I would suggest trying some other meetings. As has already been mentioned, there are PEOPLE in every recovery group that will have opinions that you don't agree with. Changing recovery plans will not change that fact. But yes, there are some people who feel you should not take any mind altering substance, even if prescribed by a doctor. The program of AA does not say that, just some of the people within it who happen to be expressing their own personal opinion.

biminiblue 03-09-2017 12:18 PM

For me one of the best parts of sobriety is self-confidence. I can hold my own with anyone now. No one gets to push me off my game or tell me I'm "less than."

The people in AA are flawed, we all are. Can you just chalk it up to, "Maybe that guy/gal is not destined to be my bestie"? AA is an unstructured social group with not very many rules and no leader so it's no surprise there are some people with serious boundary issues.

Or you can just hang out here with us and see how that goes. Have you read through the Secular Connections part of this site? Lots of great threads there, too.

Marissa41 03-09-2017 12:33 PM

Sometimes we drink because of anxiety.
And drinking can cause anxiety.. How you deal with it is up to you and hopefully your doctor..
Please do try a different meeting. I don't advocate for AA, but at least try.. Don't feel bad about the meds if you need them.. Go with your heart and brain..

Poppy79 03-09-2017 12:36 PM

I'm prescribed Valium to take as and when needed. Four months sober today and I am glad I have this available to me for times when my anxiety gets overwhelming.
Taking meds to assist with recovery is not a bad thing at all. And it does not negate the fact that you are sober.
Anyone who tells you otherwise is plain wrong!
Oh and I also smoke, no way in hell I could quit both at the same time, I would be setting myself up for failure big time. That said, I do plan on quitting the smokes this year. One thing at a time though :)
I'm sure people's intentions when providing their opinion comes from a good place so discard what you don't agree with and defs go with your docs advice.

NYCDoglvr 03-09-2017 01:00 PM

I've heard Valium called "a dry martini". Anxiety meds can be the hardest withdrawal there is. Ask doctor for something non addictive.

Forward12 03-09-2017 02:44 PM

It is common for people in AA to be anti medication, however for people like myself with horrible anxiety and depression issues, they are absolutely needed.
Detox centers will give you meds to get your safely through withdrawls, without them can be horrific for some.
If you have mental health issues requiring medication, I would be all means take them. Many of us became alcoholics in the first place because of our mental health issues.

suncatcher 03-09-2017 02:52 PM

Just be sure you are following your Drs advice and not advice from anyone who doesn't have medical knowledge on this. Some aren't aware people can die from alcohol withdrawals. High blood pressure, seizures ...these are complications from withdrawals ...always get medical advice from trained professionals in regard to what medications you should or should not be taking.

Db1105 03-09-2017 04:10 PM

After my last drunk, I sobered up on coffee and cigarettes. Judging from the rooms back then, I wasn't the only one.

NYCDoglvr 03-09-2017 05:21 PM

Just be sure you are following your Drs advice and not advice from anyone who doesn't have medical knowledge on this.
Ditto: in AA's literature it says no one should play doctor. I've been on anti-depressants since I got sober (1991) and I never talk about it in meetings because I don't want unsolicited advice.

August252015 03-09-2017 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 6360676)
As Bimini said, much of what other people "claim" is kind of irrelevant. Some people claim the world is flat too, right?

Bottom line you have been prescribed meds by your doctor to use during withdrawal. As long as your doctor is fully aware of your drinking history and you are taking the meds as prescribed to help your anxiety during withdrawal, that's all that should really matter to you. If you are scared that there may be a problem with addiciton to these meds, tell your doctor...he/she may be able to prescribe something else more appropriate.

This is pretty much my position. I am just over one year sober and I take a med regimen supervised by my excellent psych; I am totally honest with her about how I am doing, that I am sober, and everything related to my life/health and mental state. I take ativan (lorazepam) daily, as needed, for anxiety. I have taken it in varying doses/as needed rx instructions since I quit drinking. I am careful to stay within the limits and talk with her about my usage- and other tools I have to alleviate anxiety. I have a history of taking meds "incorrectly" (or taking certain kinds more than prescribed) so we are very cognizant of this. I am a believer that meds are there to help us and many are very useful (I take several others related to my sobriety and mental health, including campral, paxil, and seroquel) in living a healthy sober life.

Which is my primary goal.

And I am a dedicated AA-er so .... good advice about separating the "people from the program" and good idea about trying different meetings.

Good luck.

MicroMacro 03-09-2017 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Harley1973 (Post 6360662)
A little over two weeks ago I spent a few days in a detox facility and was prescribed medication to take as needed for alcohol withdraws, and now I have a few people in AA saying I should absolutely under no circumstances take this because they say I'm not truly sober if I'm taking anxiety medication to treat the alcohol problem.

It doesn't matter what they say - it matters what your doctor says. No one gets to declare what makes you sober. That doesn't stop some from trying though. The best thing you can do for yourself when you encounter those folks is nod and move on past them.

AA does not have all the answers, but to some of it's members - it comes before church and the bible. Have you given other programs a chance? You might find a little more open mindedness in SMART or Refuge Recovery.

So long as you are on board with the truth about your addiction to your doctor - that's what matters.

It might be helpful to you to keep this medication info to yourself. It's no one's business. A lot of people speak strongly against mixing medication into sobriety. But that doesn't make them right. It makes them fond of asserting their opinion.

sg1970 03-09-2017 07:10 PM

Heck, me and probably over half the members of my homegroup take anti depressants. I've never heard anyone at our meetings say to quit taking meds as long as you take them as prescribed. Alcoholism and mental illness go hand in hand and many of us were self medicating with alcohol anyway.

There are some very addictive anti anxiety meds though. Look over on the substance abuse forum at the xanax addiction posts and take warning. Stay honest with yourself when you take them and make sure you take them for the right reason.

Best wishes in your recovery!