SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   4 months sober, dog died and I want to drink (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/405847-4-months-sober-dog-died-i-want-drink.html)

14Sierra 03-06-2017 09:06 PM

4 months sober, dog died and I want to drink

It's been 4 months since I got since I got sober and I just got passed a lot of awful PAWS symptoms and my life seemed to finally be in recovery and my dog just died.

I know it may seem insignificant, but I shes been with me for 10 years and was my best friend. Now I'm really starting to want to drink. It seems so much harder than all the other times, I really don't even know why I'm posting this.

I guess I am just wanting to tell someone, I know it would destroy all my progress. It's just really tough right now.

emme99 03-06-2017 09:13 PM

Really sorry for your loss 14Sierra. I have a dog too and know how hard it is too lose them. Keeping you in my thoughts. :grouphug:

Clean30 03-06-2017 09:40 PM

Dogs are pretty cool animals as long as they aren't growling at you lol.

I got news for you; you're always going to miss that dog and you don't have enough money to drown out that feeling of missing your buddy. Sometimes I still miss my dog from 20 years ago when i think about him. But a million dollars worth of alcohol still won't wash him from my mind and nor would i want it to.

ScottFromWI 03-06-2017 09:50 PM

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Honor her by doing the right thing and taking care of yourself. Drinking won't fix anything and you'll feel even worse when you end up hungover or worse.

Caramel 03-06-2017 09:53 PM

I'm so sorry for the loss of your dog. Dogs are special. Ten years is a long time with a faithful companion. Shed all the tears you need to. Don't drink though, stay authentic. :hug:

14Sierra 03-06-2017 09:57 PM

Thank y'all, I really appreciate it. It's so damn hard sometimes to just not want to say screw it and just drink all the problems away.

But I'm all too familiar with where that leads.

Clean30 03-06-2017 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by 14Sierra (Post 6357677)
Thank y'all, I really appreciate it. It's so damn hard sometimes to just not want to say screw it and just drink all the problems away.

But I'm all too familiar with where that leads.

Yea man. Just go to bed and sleep it off. When the sun rises tomorrow you'll be back to your 4 months with no regrets. Its times like these when you make it through it builds confidence.

Berrybean 03-07-2017 12:19 AM

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Stick close to us today. Alcohol would only be a temporary emotional-opt-out anyway, and as others have said, we grieve our animal companions for a long time. So drinking won't help anything really, as you know.

At least you've been there with your canine buddy, sober and useful and looking after them well at the end.

Prayers for you today.
BB

Lorax1981 03-07-2017 12:23 AM

Sending you my love.

Gottalife 03-07-2017 01:12 AM

I was a year or maybe a bit more sober when my cat got run over. This was no ordinary cat, it was more like a dog, and even came sailing with me. I nursed it through sickness too, and I was absolutely distraught when he died. Worse, I was really put out my my sponsor's "casualness" about the whole thing. I was expecting some serious sympathy and understanding, and none was forthcoming.

I see why now. Whether the cat lived or died actually had no bearing on whether I could stay sober or not. I had a program to live by, and a God to turn to in times of need, and that is how I have stayed sober regardless of anything that happens to me or mine, and worse things have happened since. A good program for sobriety has kept me sober no matter what.

On the other hand, a lot of people find it relatively easy to stop for a period. It may be days, weeks, months or years and can be quite sustainable as long as all in the garden is rosey. And then something bad happens (life) and they immediately, automatically, turn to their old solution, which of course is no solution at all. It is the time invested in a good solid program that has got me through these spots without the need to drink.

I have lost a couple of dogs since. I love dogs and cats, and I completely understand what loyal friends they are, and how their loss is such a tremendous blow. I felt the grief, I remember them fondly, but it never occurred to me that the loss could justify a drink.

FBL 03-07-2017 03:45 AM

Sorry for your loss. I know how hard it can be.

I also know that drinking is not the answer. I lost my Dad a little over two years ago. It was the hardest time of my life. Thankfully, I had a little over 5 years of recovery at that point and at no time did I ever seriously think about drinking. That's the kind of strength that real recovery can give.

Ariesagain 03-07-2017 04:28 AM

I'm so, so sorry. I've been through that too often and I know how painful it is.

I am taking my 19-year-old cat in this afternoon. He is purring and bumping his head against me right now, but he is in end-stage kidney failure. So you have someone here who absolutely understands.

Your dog wouldn't want you to waste your precious life drunk. She would want you to go for a long walk, roll in the grass, and then have a cookie.

Sending you lots of hugs.

PhoenixJ 03-07-2017 05:43 AM

did post b4. Not insignificant. Important to you. Empathy and support to you.

least 03-07-2017 05:51 AM

I am so sorry for the loss of your dog. :( I know how hard it is to lose a furry friend. But drinking won't bring them back and will only make you feel worse.

Honor your dog's memory by staying sober. :hug:

Doug39 03-07-2017 05:51 AM

Sorry about your dog.

I lost my dog (the first animal I really ever loved) on 11/9/15 and I got completely hammered that night - so hammered I couldn't make it to work the next day. I was so hungover and sick and it just intensified the grief of losing my dog.

Celebrate your dog's life sober and be grateful for the time you had with your pet.

soberandhonest 03-07-2017 07:46 AM

Honor your sweet dog by not drinking. Don't taint the memory of your companion by associating her with a relapse. Let your puppy be your sobriety rock.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Clean30 03-07-2017 07:55 AM

I think its time to go puppy shopping :)

gregknight 03-07-2017 07:56 AM

So sorry, Sierra. My deep sympathy. I had a BFF dog friend for 12 years. A Golden Retriever whose heart was as golden as his fur. When he passed, it took a long time and buckets of tears, and I am still not over him. We love them so much because they have no faults and the are incapable of seeing any in us.

It's tough, but drinking will only make your despair worse.

Upstairs 03-07-2017 08:30 AM

Hey there 14Sierra. Sorry about the dog. People can underestimate just how much they can mean to their owners. I took a week off of work when I lost my last dog. And I basically just drank the whole time. My biggest regret from my time with the old dog was that I was drinking about every day I had the little guy since he was a puppy. Stay sober. I hope that helps some.

NYCDoglvr 03-07-2017 10:50 AM

My dog's death was the most intense pain I've endured in 25 years of recovery. It was appropriate pain and I was glad I was sober to mourn her. I hope you are too.....
There are many excuses but no reason to drink.