Notices

Egomaniac with low self-esteem

Old 03-06-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

kevlarsjal, even though many can relate to the egomaniac with low self esteem, you may want to remember that alcoholics can, and do, have varying traits/ character defects/shortcomings.

in early recovery- until I learned about me- I had to put me first.
in order to be selfless, I first had to be selfish- work at fixin me.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've always hated myself.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Sounds like Codependency. That's fairly common in alcoholics - I know lots of people in the rooms of AA who also use CoDa for that reason.
Diagnosing codependency on an internet forum?
That's why we have psychologists and psychiatrists.

If you have issues and feel like you're a "people pleaser," tell a professional. Particularly if you have a coexisting substance abuse disorder.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
Diagnosing codependency on an internet forum?
That's why we have psychologists and psychiatrists.

If you have issues and feel like you're a "people pleaser," tell a professional. Particularly if you have a coexisting substance abuse disorder.
I wouldn't say that say tyat was a 'diagnosis'. Is codependency diagnosed anyway? Any more than alcoholism is diagnosed. Dont we all have codependent traits to an extent? I think possibly we have - and sometimes the balance of things gets out of whack.

I didn't find counselling as useful as CoDa personally. Maybe it just wasn't the right counsellor (not sure we've got the whole counselling and therapy thing so wrapped up here in the UK as elsewhere in the world - a bit like our dental care lol).

Anyway, we're all feel free to ignore what isn't helpful.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 03-07-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm sure berrybean didn't try to diagnose anything here, she just shared her point of view

About voluntary work: I volunteered at the animal shelter for years and I absolutely loved it although it also made me very sad at times. Maybe it's a good idea to start that again.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I love the idea of volunteering....I was a volunteer dog walker at our local animal shelter...that's how I came to adopt my dog. The only problem I had with that is I wanted to adopt them all if I could, I felt so bad for them. Maybe I need to move back to the country so I can have more dogs. Hah!

I would recommend Eckhart Tolle's "The Power Of Now". He gets into the whole concept of the ego....

I agree: Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Recovered

I'm was a 2 acting like a 10 so I could be a 5.

Then I found out in AA, having worked the 12 Steps, that we are all 5's. My problem was me and my perceptions. Being a worker among workers is so very freeing. I also realized that regardless of whether I think I'm a 2 or a 10, I'm still thinking about ME. me me me me............See the problem there?

I know this, but give me the keys to run the show, though, and I am off to the races. So daily, I have to give the keys to another driver. I do that with meetings/sharing, service, sponsorship, and prayer/meditation.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

His majesty the child..........