Notices

Rehab Commercials

Old 03-02-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab Commercials

I hope it is OK to pose this question, if I'm violating any rules please delete.

How do you all feel about rehab commercials? They come on a lot during some of the shows I watch. A common theme they have is verbiage like "You can't do this on your own." I feel like that type of message can be very defeating to someone who is struggling. I know I didn't have $20,000 to go to rehab, nor could I take the time off of work for in-patient treatment.

I'm curious how others feel about this.

(I'm two months sober with AVRT and SR)
Old 03-02-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So is your question about the commercials or inpatient care in general?
Old 03-02-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
A common theme they have is verbiage like "You can't do this on your own." I feel like that type of message can be very defeating to someone who is struggling.
It's primarily a business, AlaskaGirl, and they are not altruists. Despite often brandishing their non-profit (tax exempt) credentials, they tend to charge a lot of money, and they have to convince people to pay for their services. Nothing wrong with advertising per se, though.

Simply recognize that message as if it were your own AV suggesting more drinking if you don't get admitted to expensive facilities, because you are too incompetent to abstain. That would be bad for you, but good for you-know-who.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have seen these rehab ads which do seem to be quite prevalent as of late. I view them as any advertisement, whether it might be for a car, dishwasher or detergent, or rehab.

If I am going to purchase a service or a good, I will do so based on my own research on what is best for me, not based on what someone tells me in a paid advertisement.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just another thing to sell, like reverse mortgages and identity protection. The golf rehabs kinda crack me up. Is there a yoga rehab? Probably.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upstairs View Post
So is your question about the commercials or inpatient care in general?
I'm wondering if others feel this type of messaging can be harmful to people who have a substance abuse problem. They make is sound pretty hopeless for those that can't afford that type of program.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Just another thing to sell, like reverse mortgages and identity protection. The golf rehabs kinda crack me up. Is there a yoga rehab? Probably.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
The golf rehabs kinda crack me up. Is there a yoga rehab? Probably.
A cycling rehab would be cool!!

Seriously, we have ESPN on in our lunchroom TV at work. Rehab commercial with a dude in a white coat shouting an 800 number. Causes me to chuckle a bit every time it comes on. Especially the part how their program is covered by most insurances.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I didn't go to rehab, I went to AA to get sober. I can't do it alone, but I have the incredible support of other alcoholics.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rehabs are expensive, and a huge cash cow for most of these places. I remember the one that use to advertise all the time with the quote "This isn't a 12 step program, this works!" then they changed it to just "this isn't a 12 step program"
I wonder if they got sued or just slammed for mocking AA style approaches.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
A common theme they have is verbiage like "You can't do this on your own." I feel like that type of message can be very defeating to someone who is struggling...
Might save his or her life, too.

Beyond a point in the addiction spiral, I think it's safe to say that *most* people cannot do it on their own. The longer they try, the lower their bottom becomes. That's why there are rehabs, and also community support groups like AA, Smart, and also more educational organizations like RR.

I see the TV ads here too, always the same couple expensive inpatient rehabs. Maybe they are excellent, I don't have any experience with them, but there are many other inpatient rehabs around that don't advertise on TV and are much cheaper. Outpatient rehabs too, and the two I went to were free as part of my medical insurance. Insurance would have paid for inpatient too if I had been willing to go, but at the time I was not.

Different strokes.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I suppose it's no different from a cornflakes ad that says you'll get cholesterol if you eat unhealthy breakfasts....they're telling the truth, they might do me good if I realise I'm headed for a cholesterol-fuelled death...more fool me if I think their brand of cornflakes is the only solution

I feel more emotive about drinking and alcoholism than most subjects. I object to the idea of profiteering and deception but, just like everywhere else in life, it's going to happen.

We don't see those ads in the UK. I only ever see them on Soberrecovery

P
Old 03-02-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Jeez..."Golf Therapy"

P
Old 03-02-2017, 10:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

At 55 I went into a women's rehab for 30 days. Yeah, I was the oldest, but it did give me a great place to start my recovery journey. I have over 4 years sobriety now. I am active in my 12 Step meetings . Attend 3 meetings a week and have just made a new life. For me, going to Rehab was my choice and am very happy I did. But, both my husband and son did not go into rehab. They attend and are active in their 12 Step meetings. We are a sober family, life is good.
Bobbi
Old 03-02-2017, 10:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paulokes View Post
Jeez..."Golf Therapy"

P
Absolutely! My husband plays once a month with his sober golf group....darn men only!
Old 03-07-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

They've been running a rehab commercial on TV around here a lot. And they have all these testimonies from clients who claim this facility "cured" them of addiction in 28 days!! I laugh because I don't believe we are ever totally cured.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I couldn't do it by myself.

My attempts all failed.

I went to treatment for 35 days, got into AA and have been sober for a few 24 hours so to speak.

I think that the treatment industry has helped a lot of people.

It certainly did for me.

Some for profit treatment centers also take in a lot of charity patients.

The fact that they make money is not a turn-off to me.

I don't know anything about non-AA treatment centers in LA or Malibu, but I am pretty familiar with a good many AA-based treatment centers.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The one that bothers me is the guy who owns the facility and says, "I used to be an addict and now I'm NOT!"... It could make people believe that they'll be "cured" and can then go out and drink/ use "responsibly" again...
Old 03-07-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
I couldn't do it by myself.

My attempts all failed.

I went to treatment for 35 days, got into AA and have been sober for a few 24 hours so to speak.

I think that the treatment industry has helped a lot of people.

It certainly did for me.
This is my experience as well. I had no thought about getting sober until my family held an intervention. I spent 7 weeks in a rehab then six months in a halfway house and have never looked back.

One of the counselors in that rehab told me when I got out forget everything they told me there, go to AA, get a sponsor and I would be ok.

Whatever works.

-allan
Old 03-07-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree, Cousin.

I don't look back either, except to know that I do not want to retrace any steps I have already taken.