Notices

Triggers vs. Causes

Old 03-02-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I firmly believe that my drinking was a slow form of suicide. I didn't want to live sober, so I drank...and drank...and drank some more. What triggered and caused me NOT to want to drink anymore was the fact that I really DID want to live sober, I just had to figure out how to go about it. Now, I can't imagine ever going back to that living hell.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
zjw

i guess anohter big issue is figureing out what all these little triggers / causes are once we sober up. I felt liek one incredibly overly sensitive special snow flake cuase damn near anything and everything was a trigger or a cause!
Old 03-02-2017, 04:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think I've always just had excuses. Before I learned about the AV here a few years ago I remember every morning waking up and promising myself that I wasn't going to drink that day but by the afternoon that sneaky little liar in my head had talked me into it again. Who knows how the internal dialogue went but I'm sure it was pretty routine to all you reading this. Ever since I've known about my AV I've known that it's all just been excuses and lies and BS because IT liked to get drunk.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Drinking was my reaction to life. As the negative consequences piled up, it became obvious that I should not drink. In fact with my track record, to drink would be an act of pure insanity. So I drank anyway.

Then, by the grace of God, I underwentt a change in my reaction to life, and drinking was no longer necessary. I had been restored to sanity.