Notices

Drinking Dreams

Old 02-24-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking Dreams

I am 4 months sober today.

I have had several dreams this past week that have involved drinking - last night it was shots of Tequila and I could actually taste it in my dream.

A few nights ago I had a dream that I was drinking whiskey and Coke - I actually felt drunk in my dream and I was worrying about driving.

I have no desire to drink - I don't know why this is happening now, 4 months into my sobriety.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Doug, drinking dreams are VERY common, especially early in recovery. Heck, I'm 7+ years sober and still get them on rare occasions. I think it's just our subconscious trying to sort things out. Try not to let them bother you. Perhaps they can even make us stronger.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Doug- my take on dreams is my brain is rewiring. The hardware (brain/body) has come to a basic balance. Now after a reboot- the software (thoughts,memories,feeling,emotions) is sorting out which files need to be upgraded, deleted or looked at. Dreams are the bits of administrative software talking to other bits- and in my sleep I overhear them.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
under new management

I don't put much meaning into drinking dreams. I have them occasionally (2 years into sobriety) and they aren't enjoyable but it is a relief to wake up and realize it is just a dream.

I quit smoking 10 years ago and I still have the occasional smoking dream, too.

Again, I don't put any meaning on it.

Doug, you are doing great at 4 months
Old 02-24-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

At almost 2 years sober, I still get those dreams occasionally. They were much more frequent earlier in sobriety. Anything that occupied as much of our time, energy, and thoughts as our drinking is bound to be deeply embedded in the psyche. To me, it's only natural we'd dream about it. In my experience, though, the dreams are never pleasant. They are always filled with anxiety, dread, regret, paranoia, fear... Pretty close to reality. I'm always grateful to wake up and realize it wasn't real.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have them occasionally at two years sober as well. Usually in my dream after I've drank I feel utterly horrified that I drank and tossed out two years of sobriety. I don't put much stock in those dreams. Maybe just the mind's way of keeping me on my toes in my recovery.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I still have them occasionally at 4 years plus sober Doug, it's completely normal and while sometimes unsettling, just a dream. I actually still have occasional dreams about using tobacco which I quit almost 7 years ago too.

Our brains are infinitely complex so try not to read too much into it....and rejoice in the fact that it was just a dream when you wake up sober!
Old 02-24-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Doug- my take on dreams is my brain is rewiring. The hardware (brain/body) has come to a basic balance. Now after a reboot- the software (thoughts,memories,feeling,emotions) is sorting out which files need to be upgraded, deleted or looked at. Dreams are the bits of administrative software talking to other bits- and in my sleep I overhear them.
I like that analogy!
Old 02-24-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't have drinking dreams but I do have bad dreams in which I'm in a fight for my life. Had one last night as a matter of fact.

Never had those before. At least not this often. I think, like Phoenix said, it is our brains way of rebooting.

Me and you are sober about the same amount of time so this would make sense.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

congratulations on four months, Doug, and while they freaked me out the first few times i had them, they lessened quickly and my relief upon waking, knowing i hadn't been drinking at all, and that i wasn't "back there", told me more of the real story than the dreams did
Old 02-24-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for the replies.

I am not too alarmed by the dreams; it is just odd that it took 4 months to start dreaming about boozing.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA member

I get the odd drinking dream at more than 13years sober.I just accept it is part of my Alcoholism.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by NewRomanMan View Post
I have them occasionally at two years sober as well. Usually in my dream after I've drank I feel utterly horrified that I drank and tossed out two years of sobriety. I don't put much stock in those dreams. Maybe just the mind's way of keeping me on my toes in my recovery.
Same here. I like to think it is a sign that we are very genuine about our sobriety, and the subconcious is aware of that. I feel they are a good sign.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

had a drinking dream again last night...third night in a row.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Don't sweat it Doug, they are just dreams. People have recurring dreams about all kinds of things. And since most of us drank for years, it's no surprise that we will have dreams about it. Have you ever had a dream about something that happens in your childhood or at school?
Old 02-25-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post
had a drinking dream again last night...third night in a row.
It's just because it is in the front of your mind.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Four Months is great! It's unnatural for an alcoholic to not drink - well done. Perhaps the milestone sparked the vivid dreams??

You're thread drove me to do some reading this morning on the subject of dreams, Thanks!

"Dreams are amazingly persistent. Miss a few from lack of sleep and the brain keeps score, forcing payback soon after eyelids close. "Nature's soft nurse," as Shakespeare called sleep, isn't so soft after all."

Good, relatively short article;
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...s-more-dreams/

Seems to be a bombardment of dreams when we are not well rested over a period. I would agree with this.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Have you ever had a dream about something that happens in your childhood or at school?
For years after high school I had the dream where I was lost in the school and couldn't find my classroom; and also the similar dream where I am late getting somewhere and I just can't get ready and out of the house.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 months! I'm glad I'm not alone, last week I had a dream I was sitting around a campfire drinking with my outpatient group and the counselor. I thought that was a bit disturbing!
Old 02-25-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've never known an alcoholic who didn't have a drunk dream in early recovery, or even after years. I even had dreams about smoking after I quit. It's perfectly normal.