Notices

This is how pathetic we are (were)

Old 02-27-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Steve, don't let other folk's comments detract from your sobriety.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Folks....let's please remember we are here to help each other. If you find a post offensive or against the rule please report it to the administrators for review, or use the ignore feature for posters that you may disagree with.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

You know folks, I've come to the realization that SR is just like any other organized religion. There are people that have genuine love and concern for others. Then there are folks that insist that you follow exactly in their path, "my way or the highway" types. I've been coming here to SR less and less as of late. And posting even less. I get it, some people are very passionate about how they achieved sobriety, and I respect that. But we don't need to be pricks towards those of us that are doing it different.

Hate me if you will. Not my problem.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Steve, I tried the religious/spiritual approach to stopping drinking for years, but it didn't work for me. Then I joined SR and following support from the Secular Connections sub-forum folks here, I stopped drinking last year.

Not everyone will stop drinking as I did and I respect that fact: we are all different. There are many paths up the mountain. Steve, you select and stick with a path that works for you and don't let anyone dissuade you.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
There are many paths up the mountain. Steve, you select and stick with a path that works for you and don't let anyone dissuade you.
Thank you for that.

I guess I had better behave myself... next I get banned.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

So how are you doing, Steve? I think most of us here want you to succeed. Lots of ways to get and stay sober. Find what works for you and work it!
Old 02-28-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
So how are you doing, Steve? I think most of us here want you to succeed. Lots of ways to get and stay sober. Find what works for you and work it!
Hey, not bad, thanks for asking. Did anyone ever tell you that you resemble Bill Paxton?
Old 02-28-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm okay with considering drunk me pathetic. He was. At least with sober me, I'm aware of my actions and how they may affect others.

I'm not perfect. But I remember all the times I made a jerk out of myself sober :p
Old 03-01-2017, 02:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I don't know if the word "pathetic" is useful for me when considering my old drinking self. It was VERY very sick and therefore irrational in many behaviours.

I dunno, I guess whatever keeps one sober.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Now what?

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
I'm off work today to bum around the house a bit. I woke up around 5am... and instinctively wondered if it was too early to add some whiskey to my coffee. For realz? My days of being half-in-the-bag by 10am are behind me.

This is how pathetic we are.
I caution you in a couple of places. First, don't confuse instinct with compulsion. Your instincts will save your life. Your compulsions might kill you. Second - choose your words and where you apply them carefully . Pathetic is pretty harsh. I'm sorry to read that you feel you're pathetic, but it's not appropriate to designate that adjective to everyone.

I am not and do not feel pathetic.

Best.