SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   4 weeks sober today! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/404936-4-weeks-sober-today.html)

Fearlessat50 02-16-2017 01:03 PM

4 weeks sober today!

New here. Just realized I have not had a single drop of alcohol in 4 weeks! I've had some triggers and a few cravings. Even went on a sugar binge the first week and rationalized that at least it wasn't alcohol. But then I actually felt pretty bad one morning, just like I had a hangover except it was a carb hangover! Realized I can't trade one bad habit for another bad habit. I am finding new ways of dealing with life and my own insecurities, like meditation and running and painting. These things are helping me. What it comes down to with alcohol is that I really just value my health so much, and being aware of the dangers of alcohol, and knowing the progressive nature of alcoholism, I just really don't have an interest in drinking at all anymore. I am glad I have this feeling and hoping it sticks.

ScottFromWI 02-16-2017 01:49 PM

Welcome to SR and congrats on 4 weeks Fearless! Hope you can stick around and join in on our conversations.

least 02-16-2017 01:52 PM

Congrats on the first of many sober months! :) And welcome to the family. :hug:

ljc267 02-16-2017 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fearlessat50 (Post 6336001)
New here. Just realized I have not had a single drop of alcohol in 4 weeks! I've had some triggers and a few cravings. Even went on a sugar binge the first week and rationalized that at least it wasn't alcohol. But then I actually felt pretty bad one morning, just like I had a hangover except it was a carb hangover! Realized I can't trade one bad habit for another bad habit. I am finding new ways of dealing with life and my own insecurities, like meditation and running and painting. These things are helping me. What it comes down to with alcohol is that I really just value my health so much, and being aware of the dangers of alcohol, and knowing the progressive nature of alcoholism, I just really don't have an interest in drinking at all anymore. I am glad I have this feeling and hoping it sticks.

Funny you mention this. I have noticed that the days I splurge on ice cream after dinner and a couple hours before I go to bed I don't sleep well and feel kind of off the next day. I'm wondering if the mind is interpreting it like alcohol, because of the amount of sugar ingested.

Anyone else experience this?

Congrats on 1 month. Keep it up!

gatorman 02-16-2017 02:30 PM

Congrats on 4 weeks!!! Good job!!!

PurpleKnight 02-16-2017 03:17 PM

Welcome to the Forum Fearless!! :wave:

2ndhandrose 02-16-2017 03:49 PM

4 weeks is great, Fearlessat50 :scoregood

SR is a great place for support and knowledge! I look forward to seeing you around :grouphug:

Fearlessat50 02-16-2017 05:46 PM

Thank you, everyone! It is so nice to feel welcome and be encouraged. I think I will stick around here. Already feel like I belong. 😁

Dee74 02-16-2017 06:12 PM

Way to go fearlessat50 - congrats :)

D

Hevyn 02-16-2017 06:30 PM

4 weeks - so amazing, fearless! You're doing this. :)

Jack465 02-16-2017 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by ljc267 (Post 6336072)
Funny you mention this. I have noticed that the days I splurge on ice cream after dinner and a couple hours before I go to bed I don't sleep well and feel kind of off the next day. I'm wondering if the mind is interpreting it like alcohol, because of the amount of sugar ingested.

Anyone else experience this?

Yes. I did the same thing for months. Bingeing on Coca-Cola and other sugary drinks. My stupid addict brain kept justifying it by saying "It's not alcohol, right? You've done such a great job at quitting alcohol, you deserve this"

Well, it turns out that too much sugar will make you feel like complete crap just like too much alcohol will.

PhoenixJ 02-16-2017 10:19 PM

:tyou:c011:

eve123 02-17-2017 02:52 AM

Congratulations way to go. I too binges X on treat foods n sugar fixes but at least you are aware that your cross addicting and addressing it and yes it's not as harmful as picking up that drink and can b dealt with. Keep at it way to go x

Coopertemple 02-17-2017 04:09 PM

Hi Fearless, looks like we both stopped at a similar time. Great minds think alike! I have put on weight since stopping. But as you say, eating more ice cream, sweets or chocolate is a lot better than hitting the booze. I feel like I'm coming out the other end now and can address the eating now too! All the best for your recovery. Let's make sure we make it to two months and beyond!

Dave42001 02-17-2017 04:36 PM

Kudos to you!! Keep working it!!

BullDog777 02-17-2017 06:53 PM

:c011:Congrats on 4 weeks. That's HUGE!!!!!!!:c011:

healthychoices 02-18-2017 03:21 AM

Congrats on the 4 weeks! Interesting that you noticed the 'sugar hangover', for me it can be quite pronounced, especially if I eat a big ice cream say just before bed. I've been trying hard not to eat significant amounts of sugar of an evening, & when I manage I sleep so much better. Meditation, running and painting sound great - I do all three as well :)

FBL 02-18-2017 03:33 AM

Congrats on 4 weeks! Keep it up, it just keeps getting better and better.

Zebra1275 02-18-2017 05:50 AM

Congratulations!

Upstairs 02-18-2017 07:02 AM

Congrats on four weeks! Yanno, it's funny some of you specifically mentioned ice cream. I hadn't had any for years until I quit, then I had a craving for it and indulged myself for months after. I still crave it lol.