Notices

Emotions

Old 02-13-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotions

When drinking....are they real? Is it your true feelings, amplified, or just the alcohol?
Finding myself very unhappy
Old 02-13-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a mind-altering, mood-altering chemical.

There's more to it than that but I trust my emotions better after getting some long term sobriety.

P
Old 02-13-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Only you know how you are feeling and what is going on BUT in my experience, when I was drinking everything got so blown out of proportion. A small comment by someone in the bar could have me confronting and yelling at the person. I also could start balling my eyes out just at the thought of something. Even if I was super happy it was usually was fake- yunno the "OMG WE ARE BFF'S AND I LOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEEE YOU" Type happiness. The longer you are sober the more your emotions will even out. I found when I first got sober that it was hard, but keep working on it, keep pushing forward, and remind yourself that the longer you work on your recovery, the more level your emotions will be.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Blankspace, I hear Ya. hey im really freaking Down today...for no reason at all! Alcohol makes fake emotions seem real if u ask me. i know that doesnt make sense...i cant think of right words to explain myself! All i DO know, is that alcohol is a big fat lie, all of it. your emotions drunk on alcohol are so twisted around and backwards. its mind altering, isnt it? Thats what appeals to me about getting drunk, is im altering my way of thinking...im not in reality. i want to lose all control..thats reason i drank.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I found myself very unhappy when I was drinking too, and not just for the emotional havoc it wreaked on me.

As mentioned, alcohol is a powerful mind-altering substance, and eventually it can cause permanent damage to your body, your brain and even more selfishly those around us. I hope you can make the decision to stop some of that pain...and remember that it is a choice you can make, today if you want to.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, I haven't posted for a very long time but I have kept logging on in between the wagons I kept falling off!

I haven't had a drink since New Years Eve (2016) and I am struggling to keep things together. I can't describe how I feel, just that I am going out of my mind. I am not comfortable with the thought of AA/meetings but I have nobody to talk to so things are going round in my head day and night. My marriage has been in crisis for the past few years and I feel unable talk to my husband for that reason, or my Doctor as I don't want to take antidepressants again. I am I the UK and would appreciate any advice.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Alcoholism is a three dimensional disease, Spirit, mind and body. Diseased mind = diseased emotions in my experience. Other than fear, I wouldn't have known a genuine emotion if I fell over it.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yea emotions are tough. Any feeling can set me off, from anger/resentment to joy/happiness. It's like a switch goes off in my brain.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

they were real at the time, meaning: i felt what i was feeling, even though they were amplified, overdramatic, overreactive....but yes, i was really experiencing them.
though theywere real as emotions, they weren't healthy responses to whatever was going on. They were warped, but "real".

ha, now i do recognize that a real in quotation marks isn't exactly unambiguous
Old 02-13-2017, 10:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Littleblue have you considered counseling? Opening up about things can be very beneficial. I've noticed I do much better keeping a check list of small things I try and do daily/weekly. While staying busy is great for not focusing on alcohol, there are underlying issues that need to be addressed. I feel like counseling has really helped me with those things
Old 02-13-2017, 10:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Also great job of closing in on 50 days!
Old 02-14-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello Flyfisher,
I am beginning to realise that trying to do this alone wasn't such a smart idea. I live in a small town where I am a recognisable person as I am very involved with a charity. I have just been voted in as the next President and I would hate for all the gossip to taint what we do but unfortunately it is a very judgmental place. I am going to contact a women's centre in the next town and hope they will advise me. I really appreciate your reply x
Old 02-14-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hugs LittleBlue71.. you have to want to change and be better no one can do that for you .. but we have all been on the path you are on.. look in the mirror.. talk to that person.. they are great and they are you and you can do this .. I know it. why cause Dear Heart I am you too.. and will not take anything anymore... prayers love and hope for a better tomorrow. but for now Happy Valentines Day from south Eastern Wisconsin USA.. ardy a lady clown

Originally Posted by LittleBlue71 View Post
Hi, I haven't posted for a very long time but I have kept logging on in between the wagons I kept falling off!

I haven't had a drink since New Years Eve (2016) and I am struggling to keep things together. I can't describe how I feel, just that I am going out of my mind. I am not comfortable with the thought of AA/meetings but I have nobody to talk to so things are going round in my head day and night. My marriage has been in crisis for the past few years and I feel unable talk to my husband for that reason, or my Doctor as I don't want to take antidepressants again. I am I the UK and would appreciate any advice.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Blankspace87 View Post
Finding myself very unhappy
It's the drinking. Alcohol is a depressant. And what you are feeling is real.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

During my 27 years of daily drinking everyday was like this:

Wake up miserable, irritable, depressed and anxious. As the day went on I was easily angered, sad, and in a bad mood.
Once I started drinking I would feel a little spaced out and then a generally wonderful feeling would hit me - I was on top of the world and feeling great. But that feeling wouldn't last and I would keep drinking and drinking chasing that great feeling but I would only just get drunk.
Repeat thousands and thousands of times.

Now that I am sober my emotions have evened out - I am usually in a decent mood and my emotions aren't so extreme.