Notices

Thought I was doin' well

Old 10-12-2004, 05:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thought I was doin' well

Hi everyone

I stayed dry for over a month in August and felt extremely pleased with myself.

I have slipped off the wagon in September/October. This hurt me badly and made my g/f extremely unhappy.

I have realised that although I was abstaining from alcohol, I was not actually in recovery. Well I took a big step today and have arranged to attend my first AA meeting on Thursday. I think that's actually taking full responsibility for my actions. I feel a bit nervous, but also immensely proud by taking the decision.

It may be that it doesn't work, but I'm going to see how it goes for a few weeks at least.

I have a lot of work to do on myself and on my relationship. I look forward to big improvements in both over the coming weeks.

Will keep you all posted.

Rich
Old 10-12-2004, 06:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Red face Hi Rich !

Welcome back ! Its great that you are going to an aa meeting ,it works it really does! Keep the faith , Trish
Old 10-12-2004, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Rich, all the best man.

Yes, there is much more to recovery than not-drinking - learned that myself after a few scary relapses...
Old 10-12-2004, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dunitall
It may be that it doesn't work, but I'm going to see how it goes for a few weeks at least.
I have a lot of work to do on myself and on my relationship. I look forward to big improvements in both over the coming weeks.
Will keep you all posted.Rich
Hi Rich,
That's a good decision and a big step. You need to realize though that AA only works as well as I work it. Don't expect any miracles too soon. Just be patient and go to a lot of meetings. Above all, let the people at the meetings know where you're coming from. They can't help if they don't know you need help.

I'm still working on myself and my relationships. Not only with my wife but with everyone I come in contact with. It's a daily effort I have to be conscious of from now on. Constant vigilance!!!
Old 10-12-2004, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Batman

Hi Rich, I read a line somewhere that went as follows.

"I'll give AA a try and all they can throw at me for a year, and if it doesn't work, hey, they'll still be making booze!'

What can it hurt
Old 10-12-2004, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

(((Rick)))

Good for you...great news.

:tri
Old 10-12-2004, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you for your posts.

It's been a good day today! Tomorrow is tomorrow. Don't see any scary relapses on the horizon. Too much to live for.

Love to you all

Rich
Old 10-12-2004, 05:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi

I have been to my first meeting tonight. It was brilliant. I felt like I had come home.

Let me know how you get on.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Smile

Aestas

What can I say? Just back from my first AA meeting and I can't believe I didn't go sooner. It was absolutely awesome and I feel so at home speaking with everyone there.

It is great to know that there are so many people who are prepared to help.

I have always told my long suffering g/f how much I love and appreciate her. However, the truth I can see now is that she has felt neither loved nor appreciated for a long time.

Boy have I got the message now. Going to another meeting on Saturday.

Have you been since your first meeting?

Good luck to everyone

Rich
Old 10-14-2004, 05:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Rich

So pleased for you!!!! ;-))))) Really chuffed you got there, I've been tonight to a second meeting, and again, thought it was brilliant. I just get a real kick out speaking to people who know exactly what I am talking about. They don't sneer, or tell me to "just stop" etc etc, they understand and KNOW why I am there. Amongst the many great things which were said to me, was this one quote:

"No matter how many doctors you see, you will never find such expert help and experience of alcoholism as you will in this one room". Not word for word, but think you will get the gist!

I have basically surrendered. I know I can;t do this alone.

Keep smiling, one day at a time, keep in touch and let me know how Saturday goes.

X
Old 10-14-2004, 05:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

P.S. Forgot one thing, your girlfriend will hopefully feel more loved and appreciated now you have made this big step, by showing respect for yourself, you can only be a better partner to her. Hope you know what I mean.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Rich, Congrats on your AA meeting! Glad you enjoyed it. Its a great feeling when we can finally realize that there are others out there like us!
Old 10-16-2004, 10:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Aestas & Marty

Just back from my 2nd AA meeting and it's been a fantastic day.

We had a big group today - 35 of us. I decided it was time to share my story. I said I would keep it short, but 25 minutes later.......Anyway, I found great support from everyone. It means so much to me. As does all the support on this board.

Thanks to you all, I continue to feel very positive, happy and confident.

Hope all is just as good for everyone here.

Rich