SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   The two-two-two rule... Crappy advice. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/404510-two-two-two-rule-crappy-advice.html)

Asthecrowflies 02-07-2017 07:28 PM

The two-two-two rule... Crappy advice.

Learning when it sounds too good to be true, it definitely is.

In my search for a good, local, community to find support, (to be totally clear - I'm not talking aboit thia forum), there's been the suggestion, that eventually, when you're really ready to contol yourself; you can adopt the two two two rule.

No more than two drinks, more than two days in a row, now more often than every two weeks.

...I don't think that's gonna work for me, as tempting as that sounds. Probably not the right group for me, or many other addicts. 🤔

Dee74 02-07-2017 07:35 PM

Never worked for me, neither did alternating beers with water, drinking NA beer or shandies, or waiting until a certain hour to start

I was/am addicted - there's no bargaining with addiction.

My relationship with alcohol is fundamentally toxic.
The first drink starts all the trouble, not the last.

D

SnazzyDresser 02-07-2017 07:44 PM

I wouldn't even get a buzz off 2 drinks.

leviathan 02-07-2017 08:08 PM

Yeah, the tease, tease, tease rule is more like it. Ha!

Sudz No More 02-07-2017 08:10 PM

Reminds me of a line that Apollo Creed said to Rocky. "There is no tomorrow" such as there is no safe drink after becoming a drunk. What's done is done, best off to just be done.*

darkling 02-08-2017 01:51 AM

WOW. If only someone had just told me to stop after the second shot, I wouldn't have wasted a dozen more . . . smh

Actually, I'm glad. There's too many awesome people that I never would have met if I didn't "have to" go to those damned AA meetings and hang out on a recovery forum . . .

shortstop81 02-08-2017 02:44 AM

I'll never be ready to control myself when it comes to alcohol. If I could, I wouldn't be on a recovery forum.

And 2 drinks? What a tease.

Gottalife 02-08-2017 02:56 AM

What would eb the point of two drinks? Unless they were big buggers.

FBL 02-08-2017 03:30 AM

I drank to get drunk....period. End of story.

Ariesagain 02-08-2017 04:00 AM

I literally snorted. And then laughed...bitterly.

Worst.advice.ever

Who coined that gem?

August252015 02-08-2017 04:47 AM

Sort of what Aries said....never heard of this perfect example of alcoholic mind justifying drinking.

A non starter for me as one who doesn't believe in moderation-'or tapering- for any alcoholic.

tomsteve 02-08-2017 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gottalife (Post 6324604)
What would eb the point of two drinks?

to prime me for the next 10.
but then, that's the alcoholic logic in me.
I think I was a wee bit insane.

tomsteve 02-08-2017 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Asthecrowflies (Post 6324400)
there's been the suggestion, that eventually, when you're really ready to contol yourself; you can adopt the two two two rule.

No more than two drinks, more than two days in a row, now more often than every two weeks.

...I don't think that's gonna work for me, as tempting as that sounds. Probably not the right group for me, or many other addicts. 🤔

im glad ya see how insane this would be for ya

Asthecrowflies 02-08-2017 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ariesagain (Post 6324655)
I literally snorted. And then laughed...bitterly.

Worst.advice.ever

Who coined that gem?

Someone who obviously has no business talking to anyone whose had alcohol problems, and is trying to stay sober. 😒

Bunny211 02-08-2017 06:12 AM

Hahahaha. Sorry, I have to laugh. Who the hell wants just two drinks? I could also stick my hand in a rusty meat grinder and have just about as much fun. LOL. Nope, I wanted 15+ or NONE at all.

Ariesagain 02-08-2017 06:14 AM

Let me add another two...that would last for two minutes.

ChloeRose63 02-08-2017 06:34 AM

That won't work for me. Once I start I cannot stop.

zjw 02-08-2017 07:50 AM

yeah the fact that we even figured we should try and set up some ground rules for our drinking should have been a red flag from the get go. I had lots of them most didnt work. I did stick to my no drinking till after 5pm till like the finaly year then i started drinking earlier and earlier but just small amts to take the edge off. But i was getting concerned about the increasing cost of my habit as well. The sooner i started the more i drank and the more it would cost as is i was torching every spare dime it seemed like on booze or simply saying no to stuff we needed jsut so i could get a drink instead.

Asthecrowflies 02-08-2017 08:05 AM

I used to need two, or three, just to get out of bed... :frown:

Asthecrowflies 02-08-2017 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bunny211 (Post 6324851)
Hahahaha. Sorry, I have to laugh. Who the hell wants just two drinks? I could also stick my hand in a rusty meat grinder and have just about as much fun. LOL. Nope, I wanted 15+ or NONE at all.

Exactly. I was up to 18 a day on average when I quit. 1/3/17