Notices

The two-two-two rule... Crappy advice.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
Reminds me of a line that Apollo Creed said to Rocky. "There is no tomorrow" such as there is no safe drink after becoming a drunk. What's done is done, best off to just be done.*
Love that!
Old 02-08-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
Hahahaha. Sorry, I have to laugh. Who the hell wants just two drinks? I could also stick my hand in a rusty meat grinder and have just about as much fun. LOL. Nope, I wanted 15+ or NONE at all.
^^^ This! Two in two minutes, then two per half hour, repeat for two days. Whoever offered that advice is clueless.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The idea of limiting myself to two drinks (or two cigs or two tokes for that matter) just sounds like horrible torture. It reminds me of what I read in some Men's Health type magazine many years ago that said to try taking 90 days off. Well I did, and it was so awful that I decided to never drink again! I'm with ZJW on this one, just feeling the need to set up ground rules for drinking is a red flag.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I too needed two drinks just to get out if bed. I don't get the value of having two drinks at all. Might as well make it two drops spread two months apart.

Gotta say though... Feels great feeling that way. I remember early in my sobriety that two drinks might be exactly what I was looking for.

The old "just one won't hurt" thoughts were fairly regular. Thank God there comes a point where "just one" sounds horrible or makes no sense whatsoever. Makes being sober a bunch easier

The only thing I wish for periodically, is getting blasted. Just one night of partying. A night to let it all out.

Even those thoughts are easy to snuff out. I know the anxiety I experience during hangover would blow chunks. A few hours of fun wouldn't be worth the 2 days of anxiety that follows. No thanks.

If you just stick to be sober, it becomes more and more pleasing. The idea of drinking becomes more of a turn off.

That's pretty cool when you think about it. Because not drinking is something that you can do long term without any repercussions. It's something you can do well for years and years. And the more you follow that path, the better it becomes.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah gaffo i read a book by allan carr the easy way to quit smoking. He talked about those smokers that only smoked like a couple cigarettes a day and how that must have been torture all day long thinking about those prescious couple they will get later.

these rules even when followed is just downright torture for the addict. all day long i'd sit there just waiting for 5pm to roll around and like TomSteve said 2? thats just a primer. I'd pound the first 2 just moaning the whole time as i could feel that warm fuzzy feeling as the booze hit my blood stream and started to take that edge off. Even now the thought of it gives me the chills even. 2? pff thats just the beginning of the obsession.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So I read through this thread yesterday and concluded that, 'yeah, this 2-2-2 rule is really dumb.'

Then, this morning at breakfast, my son, who is a 5th Grader, said, "Dad, do you know about the 2-2-2 rule?" And I was stunned and immediately wondered how in the hell he had been reading this stuff. So I said, "no, what is that?" And he said that the average person can survive about 2 weeks without food, 2 days without water, and 2 minutes without air. Apparently, he learned this at school yesterday.

I just stared at him, dumbfounded at the coincidence.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

@soberandhonest, wow what a god shot.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

No more than two drinks, more than two days in a row, now more often than every two weeks.
LOL.....if I could do that I wouldn't be an alcoholic!
Old 02-08-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
I too needed two drinks just to get out if bed. I don't get the value of having two drinks at all. Might as well make it two drops spread two months apart.

Gotta say though... Feels great feeling that way. I remember early in my sobriety that two drinks might be exactly what I was looking for.

The old "just one won't hurt" thoughts were fairly regular. Thank God there comes a point where "just one" sounds horrible or makes no sense whatsoever. Makes being sober a bunch easier

The only thing I wish for periodically, is getting blasted. Just one night of partying. A night to let it all out.

Even those thoughts are easy to snuff out. I know the anxiety I experience during hangover would blow chunks. A few hours of fun wouldn't be worth the 2 days of anxiety that follows. No thanks.

If you just stick to be sober, it becomes more and more pleasing. The idea of drinking becomes more of a turn off.

That's pretty cool when you think about it. Because not drinking is something that you can do long term without any repercussions. It's something you can do well for years and years. And the more you follow that path, the better it becomes.

Well said, thank you! At hard time, I'll remember what you said above
Old 02-08-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by soberandhonest View Post
So I read through this thread yesterday and concluded that, 'yeah, this 2-2-2 rule is really dumb.'

Then, this morning at breakfast, my son, who is a 5th Grader, said, "Dad, do you know about the 2-2-2 rule?" And I was stunned and immediately wondered how in the hell he had been reading this stuff. So I said, "no, what is that?" And he said that the average person can survive about 2 weeks without food, 2 days without water, and 2 minutes without air. Apparently, he learned this at school yesterday.

I just stared at him, dumbfounded at the coincidence.

That's amazing! The coincidence... Maybe the woman who suggested it, has a school age child who brought home the same info recently
Old 02-08-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Once the first drink hits us all our resolve flies away. No amount of willpower or good intentions can save us. One drink always led to 10 - no exceptions. Took me many years to finally acknowledge that.

Helpful thread - plenty of wisdom.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:40 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

For me, any drink now would reset my brain wires and straight back to PAWS, shorten my lifespan, death would follow shortly thereafter. no thank you.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
I wouldn't even get a buzz off 2 drinks.
That's funny. That's the first thing I thought. Actually, I thought what the hell's the point in drinking two beers.

I guess it was a good decision for me to stop drinking.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
LOL.....if I could do that I wouldn't be an alcoholic!
I think that's the point. If you can actually, drink like that, go ahead. More power to ya. The reality is we can't. Reminds me of a similar instruction of how to catch a bird. Put some salt on its tail. Then the rest is easy.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Having two drinks is like eating two potato chips. It's the whole bag or nothing. I tried setting limits of all types to no avail. I can't imagine the non stop chatter of my AV if it knew drinking anything was back on the table.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
Having two drinks is like eating two potato chips. It's the whole bag or nothing. I tried setting limits of all types to no avail. I can't imagine the non stop chatter of my AV if it knew drinking anything was back on the table.
Lol. I definitely can't eat two chips. It's easier for me to have none if I can't have the bag.