SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Dreaming at nite about alcohol (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/404461-dreaming-nite-about-alcohol.html)

120degrees0ut 02-06-2017 11:22 PM

Dreaming at nite about alcohol

Do u guys remember dreaming youve got alcohol in your posession, youre going to liquor store to buy alcohol...or in dream youre drinking alcohol? I dream of this mess quite alot. ive noticed the past 2 months i keep dreaming ive got 2 liters of booze in my bag of belongings with me...but im not drinking anything in the dream. so i thought in waking life, well no biggie, im not drinking booze in dream. big deal. well last night my dog kept waking me up whining while i was asleep. and once when dog woke me i remembered what i was dreaming. i was bar hopping, drinking shots of whiskey with beer, then i had a 6 pk sitting on bar to take with me. i remember i was drinking alot, like i normally did in a bar. so this is not good, me dreaming this MESS. my brain is constantly telling me drink, drink drink. when im awake or sleeping. cuz i barely ever remem dreams, the dog woke me up. so now i know for a fact that i am dreaming about getting drunk. in real awake life, lol, i am still sober, tho!

Dee74 02-07-2017 12:30 AM

Drinking dreams are very very common, 120degreesout.
I think it's just the brains way of deling with old memories.

Unless you feel vulnerable about drinking in real life, I would try and not worry too much about them.

D

FBL 02-07-2017 02:56 AM

Like Dee said, these dreams are very common. I've found that they get less frequent as time goes on. At 7+ years sober, I still get them once in a great while. They shook me up at first, but now I find that they actually help strengthen my resolve to remain sober.

PhoenixJ 02-07-2017 02:58 AM

Just ride them out. Dreams cannot hurt you.
Prayers.

tomsteve 02-07-2017 03:30 AM

those dreams about drove me nuts. it was refreshing to learn its common.
dreaming it wasn't a bad thing. I cant control what happens in my dreams and as long as I woke up in my bed and was sober, all was good. I was able to say,"thank you,God, that that was just a dream."

the dreams did subside.

ABetterWay1 02-07-2017 04:35 AM

I'm 38 days in, and recently I had an incredibly vivid and intense dream about relapsing and throwing away what sober time I had managed to accumulate.

I echo tomsteve - it was nice to wake up and realize it never happened and I was still rockin' sobriety. :c014:

ABW1

soberandhonest 02-07-2017 06:23 AM

I'm 20 years removed from college and I still have the old classic dream where I forget to go to class for the entire semester, fail, and completely screw my entire GPA up. So ... it takes awhile.

I'm 14 months removed from booze, so I still have the drinking dream occasionally. I actually love this dream, because every single time, I drink and feel absolutely terrible because I've screwed my sobriety up, then I wake up in total relief that it was only a dream. For me, those dreams reinforce the importance of my sobriety and I welcome them.

entropy1964 02-07-2017 06:38 AM

Well as you're reading you are not alone. Years ago (in a galaxy far far away) I had lots of drinking dreams. And drinking nightmares. Often waking in a panic, and even feeling hung over sometimes. Who knows why? Its nothing to worry about however. If they are particularly memorable, or stay with you, try journaling about them. If nothing else, they are interesting to re-read at a later date.

I haven't really had drinking dreams in years. I've had 1 in the last 6 months and it didn't involve me drinking. Who knows why. Maybe even my subconscious knows I'm a total alcoholic and am powerless over the stuff.

leviathan 02-07-2017 07:39 AM

After all the time I spent drinking and hiding, it would be weird if I didn't have a dream about it once in awhile.

Nothing like that awakened realization- "oh good, just a dream!"

120degrees0ut 02-07-2017 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by leviathan (Post 6323582)
After all the time I spent drinking and hiding, it would be weird if I didn't have a dream about it once in awhile.

Nothing like that awakened realization- "oh good, just a dream!"

Yeah youre right. Everyone here is right. i almost forgot about the HIDING. Man that became a pain. it was really, really stressful.