Notices

Alcoholic athletes

Old 02-04-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic athletes

One thing that's surprised me since coming to SR is how many of us are runners, weightlifters, bicyclists, and just general jocks. Even when I was barely functional, I still managed to mountain bike every weekend, but in true alcoholic fashion, I managed to work drinking into biking and running.
I was at the gym today and I was thinking about this, and I wonder if some athletic people drift into alcoholism because we're just naturally at a high rev and subconsciously wanted to slow down. I think for me the reason I became alcoholic was due to depression from a failed relationship, but I wonder if my "high rev" theory has any validity.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are many "high functioning" alcoholics that hold down jobs, work out, and otherwise live what seem to be normal lives. Though I've found many more recovering alcoholics to be actively involved in fitness, and finding it to be a lifesaver to their sobriety.
I enjoy fitness as well, but trying to do so with a hangover was virtually impossible.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I recently retired after working for YEARS at a high stress level job. I thought that could be the root of my problem. BUT NO...when I really looked at it I realized I have been drinking for decades. Started at 13. School wasn't that stressful for sure. Family life sucked major. But others go through the same thing and they are not drinkers. So once again...it boils down to addiction plain and simple. I have to add...I do think it is genetic. My family is full of hard core drinkers and toss in a few prescription drug addicts on both sides. I just happen to be an insatiable drinker. I swear it got to where there was NEVER enough. Not athletic...but I sure relate to not being able to quiet my head.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

I remember reading the memoir of LA Dodger/Oakland A pitcher Bob Welch back in the 80s about overcoming his drinking to become a star. Was very impressed by the courage he showed talking about it so openly, actually drinking during games etc.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was actually a lot more physically active when I was a heavy drinker than I am now, at least I was before the final year or so when I just couldn't keep it all going anymore. I used to go to the gym a couple times a week, go for 2-3 mile walks every night, bicycle up to 70 miles on some weekends, go stair climbing, epic hikes in the mountains, dirtbiking, motorcycle roadracing. Looking back, part of it was justification for heavy drinking - which was always a "reward" for having been so active, and always started right after I was done - but I think a big part was anxious energy. I guess I've learned to calm down since I quit drinking, and to enjoy other kinds of pursuits that aren't so extreme. I'm not in as good physical shape, but I'm a lot happier.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Exercise is healthy. For me running became obsessive when I was younger...in some ways it was a way of cutting down drinking or getting 'sorted out' from time to time. Maybe it's endorphins too...maybe it's a 'control' thing...who knows. Like Jeffrey says I had a lot of anxious energy that needed burning.

Personally I didn't start running again when I got sober because I know I can have an unhealthy relationship with it. Swimming, cycling and walking...I seem to be far more balanced about

P
Old 02-05-2017, 03:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep I can definitely relate to this. I was drinking an extreme amount of alcohol every night and then would exercise for 4-6 hours hard the next day.

And yes I have all of that intensity that I wanted to neutralize. I'd do anything to have some tranquility which seems to elude me. Drinking numbed me and then the exercise made me beat tired.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
One thing that's surprised me since coming to SR is how many of us are runners, weightlifters, bicyclists, and just general jocks. Even when I was barely functional, I still managed to mountain bike every weekend, but in true alcoholic fashion, I managed to work drinking into biking and running.
I was at the gym today and I was thinking about this, and I wonder if some athletic people drift into alcoholism because we're just naturally at a high rev and subconsciously wanted to slow down. I think for me the reason I became alcoholic was due to depression from a failed relationship, but I wonder if my "high rev" theory has any validity.

Yeah i think there is something to it. I was never able to mix booze into anything like running somehow. I know some people cant weight to have a beer after a race and i dunno i just dont see the sense in it like at all.

I think there is something to the High rev. when i got sober i said to my wife if i only i could like run myself and just burn out all this anxiety mlike maybe go run untill i callapse so i dont have to deal with this anxiety. So thats what i did but instead of collapsing i just got more and more fit instead. I do sometimes liken anxiety to nothing more then too much energy and too little thigns to do to occupy myself. Its this inablity to relax and sit still and it manifests in anxiety. In someways anxiety is good without it I think i might loose my desire to run. But in my idle time when anxiety is lurking its downright awful.

I think what i was doing before ig to sober was just turning to some form of a chemical to try and tone it all down. all that did was make me an addicted obese sick mess.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

I follow endurance sports quite a bit (long distance cycling, distance running, rock climbing, etc.) Many of those folks that do ultra-anything are recovering addicts and/or have dealt with mental health issues.

But I guess that wasn't the original question (too much coffee too late in the day!).
Old 02-05-2017, 10:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not sure I understand what "high rev" means. But I was a college athlete then became a body builder and moved into endurance sports in my mid 30s. I became a marathoner and ironman distance triathlete all while being a untreated alcoholic. My last Ironman I killed 30 pack on Friday night and did the race on sunday.

My opinion is that the endorphins produced by athletics creates an addiction in our brain. For me it helped me to justify my drinking by looking "normal". I am not sure this answers the question by my perspective.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is me. I'm in bed right now with horrible anxiety since I broke my leg and had surgery in Sept. I always have ton of energy and anxiety and now I have no outlet. I used to run every single morning and my job was heavy lifting and I'd ever run up and down the steps at work to get rid of all the extra energy.

Now I can barely walk.

Any ideas on what I can do with all this energy? I'm an anxious mess.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Can you ride a stationary bike or perhaps do some upper-body workouts blueyes? Or maybe ask your doctor if they have any recommendations for activities you might be able to do?
Old 02-06-2017, 10:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No bike. The surgery went from my knee to my ankle (knee cut to insert metal rod). Im going nuts in here.

I guess I can do pushups using my bed but that's about it. Im slowly gaining weight.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by behindblueyes View Post
No bike. The surgery went from my knee to my ankle (knee cut to insert metal rod). Im going nuts in here.

I guess I can do pushups using my bed but that's about it. Im slowly gaining weight.
Did your doctor discuss physical therapy options? There are generally some exercises that can be used in just about any situation I believe. I've had to to PT before and it always hurts at first but in the long run it helps.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've pondered this question often, and I'm not sure I'm any closer to having an answer than when I started. I was a competitive athlete until my late 20's. I/we trained hard, but we drank pretty hard too. Reward maybe? I didn't consider my drinking to be a problem until I had my business and that was stress drinking. I started training again a few months ago and do not drink and its pretty amazing. I don't crave alcohol. Maybe switched one addiction for another? I don't know.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I remember a little over a year ago when i was drinking I used the drink as my reward system for being active. So i would come home from work, and run my ass off and work out. And then drink it all away hahaha. Makes no sense in hindsight. Oh well. Live and learn.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
I remember reading the memoir of LA Dodger/Oakland A pitcher Bob Welch back in the 80s about overcoming his drinking to become a star. Was very impressed by the courage he showed talking about it so openly, actually drinking during games etc.
I believe that his team mate and fellow pitcher Dennis Eckersley was also in recovery.

I think that Welch's family secretly videotaped him one night and made him watch it the next morning.

Which led to his getting sober.

Neat idea.

As an aside, I used to refer to myself as a "physically fit drunk" back in the days.

I was actually a pretty fast runner.