Notices

Dry drunk

Old 02-03-2017, 09:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Prayers. I was a very depressed dysfunctional drunk. So what did I become when achieving sobriety? A sober depressed, dysfunctional person. I now work hard on that. Like all wounds- it takes time and work to heal. It does not just happen.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by CLAS View Post
Hi Dee-I'm bad, but sober. Things are a mess and it's scary. But perhaps I can fight my way out of this. Thanks for asking.
My life was a mess too and it was scary but I kept plugging away at it...it was like in recovery I'd been washed up on a beach and there was my life strewn before me like driftwood.

Took me a while, but I picked up every piece and built something good and new out of it.

Don't lose hope

D
Old 02-04-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sometimes we can be a$sho1es. All of us, drunks and non-drunks.
Sometimes life is hard for us. Drunks and non-drunks.

But I think those of us who have kicked the addiction have to learn (again?) how to cope with difficulties without the soothing balm of booze.
That's hard.
But I do not for one second, buy the label "dry drunk".
It's an unscientific oxymoron.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey,

I'm new to Sober Recovery and found this to be the perfect first thread to comment on. Yes, I would consider myself a dry drunk. I am depressed, anxious, and irritable. Part of that has to do with the fact that I am diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, but yes the emotional problems I had when I drank stay with me now. I was bullied all throughout school, graduated from college but couldn't find a job in my field (journalism), had two failed relationships (one live in, one long distance), work in fast food, and live with my mother at 30 years old. On top of all of that, I got a DUI five years ago and haven't driven since.

So yeah, I do have a lot of baggage still even when sober.