Notices

Annoyed by everything 54 days in

Old 02-01-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Annoyed by everything 54 days in

I've been feeling a lot better health wise since I've been sober. But my anxiety and my patients is driving me crazy. People annoy me almost all day, I've been using my mindfulness to help cope with everything. But still god damn it's annoying. It's not making me want to drink but it's just annoying. I'm extremely positive usually but this post acute **** is ******* with me a lot. And it's suppose to last between 18 months and 2 years, God help me. I have a physical tomorrow and I'm seeking something for anxiety for sure. lol No benzo's though.
*One Day At A Time*
Old 02-01-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah the peaks and valleys and roughness around the edges all smoothe out over time but it is pretty killer for a while in the begining. or well at least was for me anyhow.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Long about 60 days, I could have sucker punched a kitten. (Metaphorically, of course.) It gets better.

Here's the thing about PAWS...it's not continuous for that long, at least it hasn't been for me. At day 398, I still have intensely cranky days, particularly because short of being pregnant with quadruplets, there isn't a single one of life's major stressors I don't have going on right now.

But someone here said something that has been really helpful to me, I wish I could remember who: "I've found that the difference between a bad day and a good day is generally about two days."

Point is, the longer you're sober, the more resilient you are to stupid days, people, and events.

Hang in there.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Long about 60 days, I could have sucker punched a kitten. (Metaphorically, of course.) It gets better.

Here's the thing about PAWS...it's not continuous for that long, at least it hasn't been for me. At day 398, I still have intensely cranky days, particularly because short of being pregnant with quadruplets, there isn't a single one of life's major stressors I don't have going on right now.

But someone here said something that has been really helpful to me, I wish I could remember who: "I've found that the difference between a bad day and a good day is generally about two days."

Point is, the longer you're sober, the more resilient you are to stupid days, people, and events.

Hang in there.
"Sucker punched a kitten"!!!! Love it.

Agree with all Aries said. I am at 344 days and recent weeks have brought joy and fun and happiness, I believe due to my program, good decisions, being loved, handling life better....lots of stuff. I also know life and days- even parts of a day!!- change and that can happen quickly, for good or bad. "Flipping it" is a technique my bf (also in recovery) and I try to use as much as possible- changing whatever thing or person or issue is a "problem" into what is solvable, peace inducing etc. not coincidentally this jives with the BB teaching about disturbance and acceptance.

I remember distinct days or weeks of Audrey Hepburn style "mean reds" at various points. About 4 mo stands out as one of those...I have found that the ups and downs of my days get smoother as time goes on...Inalso have better tools (including a good med regimen, full disclosure).

Keep going. It gets better- real Life sober is just a great thing even on my worst days. And practically speaking? I use my Put Myself to Bed Early technique whenever I just need to "stop it all" til the next day.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Talking it through certainly helps Rilla, good job on coming here instead of the alternative. Mindfulness can be a powerful tool but it doesn't always work either. Acceptance that some days are just going to suck more than others can help too, although in the moment not so much.

I'm an Anxiety sufferer myself and counseling has helped me quite a bit, have you considered that? Getting an outside/expert opinion can really be beneficial. And there are anxiety meds that are not benzo or SSRI related too, discuss that with your doc if you feel it would help.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rilla.
I think everyone experiences a little emotional rollercoaster ride with a little irritability from time to time, especially in early recovery.

I wouldn't be too quick to lumber it with the Paws sobriquet just yet - you may feel good tomorrow and never feel quite this way again

D