Notices

Anxiety Driving

Old 01-30-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety Driving

I had/have terrible anxiety driving with hangovers. It's mostly major highways..Something about not being able to get off exactly when I want, even if an exit is a mile away. Sober I'm usually fine, especially if someone is riding with me.
I have a few horror stories regarding highway driving and anxiety with hangovers. Probably the worst is 8 yrs ago or so, I was driving to work in rush hour traffic...I had had this long high overpass I have to take..It usually wasnt too back up..That day it was and I still got on it. To my horror I was stuck on it just barely moving, obviously no way to get off. Finally made it over the over pass and its gridlock traffic on the highway and I am in a panic just to get off the highway...I dont think Ive taken that overpass again to this day and really not any at all...If they are short and low to the ground I'm okay, as long as no hangover/anxiety.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
The anxiety that came every single morning made me eventually incapable of doing pretty much anything with ease. I could barely navigate pulling a shirt from the closet and putting it on. I felt panicked all the time. Every. Single. Thing. Was. A. Struggle.

It went away when I quit drinking. There are some times I experience normal anxiety, but is never with the intensity I experienced as a drinker.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not to be glib, but you know the obvious solution, right?

I also have driving anxiety, especially in heavy traffic. I find I'm much calmer now on day 396 than I ever was while I was drinking.

That doesn't mean I exactly seek it out...you won't find me in rush hour if there's any possible way to avoid it!
Old 01-30-2017, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not to be judgmental but driving hungover is driving under the influence. You are not only a danger to yourself but others. Please take this into consideration before getting behind the wheel.
Again, I am not judging! I've done worse. The obvious answer is don't drink and you won't be hung over. Easier said than done but it can be done.
Wish you the best
Old 01-30-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol causes anxiety, and it looks like you've found the solution. No drinking=no more panic.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe what you are experiencing is withdrawal anxiety while driving. Very dangerous.

Don't avoid the over pass, avoid the alcohol and your anxiety will probably resolve. Might take a few weeks but that's a much safer solution. I remember, before my own alcoholism developed, my father was driving us in Hawaii. I didn't realize that he was detoxing....me and my then 10 month old baby in the car. I made him pull over....all shaking and sweating. Holy smokes. He could have killed us. I should add that I've made quite a few anxiety ridden drives to the store while detoxing.....so I do relate.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR English. Lots of good advice here already, and yeah....drinking is almost certainly the cause. It's very common but also 100% avoidable if yin don't drink.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had terrible anxiety while driving hungover - especially in heavy traffic and at high speeds. As the other poster said, driving hungover is as bad as driving drunk because you are mentally impaired.

Today at 99 days sober I still have driving anxiety but it is not as bad as when I was drinking.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No, hangover driving is not as bad as drunk driving, in MOST cases....Are you saying if youre hungover after 4-6 beers, sleep, wakeup, and drive, thats as bad as someone who gets behind the wheel after 10 beers? I disagree.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by English71 View Post
No, hangover driving is not as bad as drunk driving, in MOST cases....Are you saying if youre hungover after 4-6 beers, sleep, wakeup, and drive, thats as bad as someone who gets behind the wheel after 10 beers? I disagree.
I am just saying that when I have been really hungover I was half asleep, dizzy and totally off. This is a recipe for a car accident.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

when i drank and shortly there after i was having panic attacks. I'd be scared to drive for fear i was going to drop dead and kill someone else. it was debilitating becuase i had to go places and so on but desperately wanted to just sit home and avoid it.

quiting drinking helped a lot with that. But I dunno if i could drive if i lived in a more urban area. I really do not do well on the big highways and such anymore. Its kinda sad but lucky for me I dont have to contend with that.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What sucks for me is that the older I get the more I hate driving long distances. I also hate to fly.

It is hard for me to go on vacations. The anxiety I get from travelling almost isn't worth going on a trip.