Notices

Craving

Old 01-27-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Craving

Today I am craving wine really badly, and need as much support as possible.

Ive been doing really well. Ive been sober over a month. I don't want to break my streak.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We are with you, cravings come and go, just don't act on them. One month is fantastic. I bet you feel a lot better.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back LimeGreen. Coming here and talking it out is a good idea, glad you came. Check your "HALT"..signs ( Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired)...are you any of those? If so try and fix that and it can definitely help.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cravings will come - just ride them out and they go away.

Today I am 95 days sober and I had my biggest craving yesterday - it was the worse craving since I got sober.

I was watching a movie and the characters were drinking vodka martinis and feeling no pain - I really felt a strong urge to drink and missed how good it felt to let go and get a nice vodka buzz.

But I then imagined how bad I would feel about myself and the hangover I would have - I snapped out of it quickly.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Stay close to SR.

Remember what brought you here and the commitment you made to seek sobriety and end the madness.

Yes, they are cravings. Strong cravings. But just that, thoughts about drinking. They'll pass.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A wee update! I had some coffee instead! Still sober, still going strong! Thanks for your support you guys you are awesome.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats
Old 01-28-2017, 01:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My biggest triggers during my first 60/90 days was watching tv characters drinking. TV romanticizes drinking and gets our AV stirred up getting us thinking maybe we can control it this time like them. I've done ten years of experimenting with controlled drinking and it always ends the same.

Great job on one month!!! The cravings get less intense and further apart the longer you stay sober.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nicely done! I know it sounds cliche, but the whole idea of "playing the tape through," really helped with cravings. I also stocked my fridge with lots of drinks I enjoy. Arizona Zero Green Tea, sparkling water with lime or berry, and pellegrino are my current favorites.

What has been part of your recovery plan so far?
Old 01-28-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

They will be back, and when they do, repeat the same process you did here. Post first.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good job!

One thing I'd add to the HALT and playing the tape suggestion is to stop doing whatever you are doing that is triggering a craving- if it's watching a show, turn it off! Then.....Go do something else. Take a nap; go to bed early. Walk outside and call a friend or family member (even if you haven't told them, just call somebody you can talk to for a half hour or such!)....go to an AA meeting. Do laundry, cook....

Keep active and distracted especially here in the beginning. You will get stronger. Keep going!!
Old 01-28-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great ideas here too:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 01-28-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Excellent for going for a month sober.

A big trigger for me is being stuck at home and feeling like I'm in a prison, the thought about how futile meeting new people is, that really triggers my cravings. Taking a walk, getting away from the trigger, and calling the samaritans has helped me get through cravings.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sundays somehow always end up being my danger day for cravings. I guess it's probably just because for years Sunday has been my day to really spend all day putting beers down.

I'm still not to the month mark, but I'm trying to put together a new routine for Sundays to avoid these.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I was on naltrexone, which completely suppressed my cravings, but made me quite ill. I had to quit, and so now they are back.
I was lonely and tired. The coffee helped and I did some stuff around the house.
I have been admitted into a program at a local hospital that works on finding out the root of the problem. It involves a lot of work with groups and psychiatrists. I am an atheist and have a hard time with AA. I'm hopeful about this program, but it doesn't start for another month, so i spend a lot of time on here.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LimeGreen View Post
Thanks everyone. I was on naltrexone, which completely suppressed my cravings, but made me quite ill. I had to quit, and so now they are back.
I was lonely and tired. The coffee helped and I did some stuff around the house.
I have been admitted into a program at a local hospital that works on finding out the root of the problem. It involves a lot of work with groups and psychiatrists. I am an atheist and have a hard time with AA. I'm hopeful about this program, but it doesn't start for another month, so i spend a lot of time on here.
As simple as this sounds it really is this simple, you just stop drinking and then you go through life. Don't look back or spend the rest of your life thinking about your love affair with alcohol, you just move on and deal with present issues at hand. The more you brainstorm trying to work this or that out, the more time you give into the thoughts and let them consume you, you'll run out of energy and then you'll say, "I can't do this anymore!" That pain comes from you dwelling on it.