SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   I stopped drinking alcohol because.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/403983-i-stopped-drinking-alcohol-because.html)

lillyknitting 01-27-2017 11:03 AM

I stopped drinking alcohol because....

....I stopped drinking alcohol because:
The catastrophic hangovers and all their accompanying horrors;
I had complete blackouts;
I couldn't remember who I was speaking to let alone what was said;
If I had one drink I'd want 2, if I had 2 I definitely wanted more and more ad infinitem;
Even if I had 1 or 2 and stopped (because the occasion demanded) I would be left with a headache; so
Whatever the amount consumed there has to be a pay back and my life and health is just too precious to waste on this stuff any more;
I couldn't take care of my responsibilities, couldylook after my dogs, myself and my possessions;
Self care would go out the window;

Please add your reasons too. X

ScottFromWI 01-27-2017 11:22 AM

I quit because I'm an alcoholic, and I would have most likely died if I hadn't.

Poppy79 01-27-2017 12:23 PM

I stopped for the same reasons as you lily. Add to those reasons:-
- I was going to lose everything if I kept it up, including my life
- I was an angry drunk, so in my black outs I would be a monster to the ones I love
- I would probably have gone too far eventually and ended up killing myself and/or someone as I often drove in my black outs.
- I was sick of feeling utter helplessness and pure shame pretty much 24/7.

A great reminder as to why I stopped as I am at 79 days and currently feeling my AV looming in the back ground. Pi$$ off AV, I don't want to hear from you :)

least 01-27-2017 12:27 PM

I got sober because I was sick and tired of waking up feeling horrible and hating myself. :(

Doug39 01-27-2017 12:49 PM

After 27 years of drinking to excess every single day I quit because it didn't work for me anymore.

Today, at 95 days sober, I still have trouble coping.

Alcohol steals your mind, body and soul.

LimeGreen 01-27-2017 01:46 PM

I quit because I became sick and tired of being sick and tired. Also, drinking exacerbated my anxiety so much that I couldn't leave the house or accomplish anything when I was hung over, and the day after...

thomas11 01-27-2017 02:01 PM

I quit because the consequences finally outweighed the "benefits", and it happened in one fell swoop that lasted 5 seconds. Broke both my legs up real bad, forced me to sell my company (that I had for 13 years) and it took almost a year to heal. So yeah, pretty severe.

SoberCAH 01-27-2017 02:32 PM

I stopped drinking because the consequences of my alcoholism had gotten too much for me to bear.

But, in addition to the black-outs, drunk driving on a daily basis, psychosis, etc. , I had lost touch with myself.

I didn't know who I was anymore.

I was just kind of a blank slate.

There was nothing to me as a human being but a yearning, buried at a very deep level, to have a real life.

And God and AA have given me that life.

KatSienna 01-27-2017 03:03 PM

I quit because I could feel I was thinking of that glass of wine I could have when I got home from work - almost everyday. It took control of me.
I drank to relax, I drank when I was happy, I drank when I was sad, I drank when I was angry.

Jimmy58 01-27-2017 03:37 PM

After 45 years of hard drinking I needed to make a decision. Keep drinking and die or quit drinking and live. I choose to live.

Gottalife 01-27-2017 04:04 PM

I would have quit for all of the above reasons if I could have. I was only able to quit when I found the Power to do so.

AlaskaGirl 01-27-2017 06:04 PM

I quit drinking because I had too or I was going to lose everything that mattered to me for the sake of being a disgusting drunken sloth.

CLAS 01-27-2017 06:11 PM

I quit because I hated my mornings. Waking up dehydrated and with negative thoughts. I also needed to grow up and realize that my life's problems could only be solved sober.

I did things drunk that no one my age should be doing. Nothing criminal but just dumb drunk stuff like peeing the bed and just acting a foolish carefree goof. But it wasn't funny anymore. I'm done.

My next cruise, Vegas trip, weekend away, and all of it will be done without alcohol. I'm done and it's my new deal. No more alcohol. Alcohol sucks.

I hit 30 days today.

Mklove 01-27-2017 06:17 PM

The doctor told me my liver was suffering and then my best friend died of cirrhosis, all set!

KAD 01-27-2017 07:20 PM

I quit for numerous reasons, but above all because I finally became convinced continuing to drink would kill me.

ljc267 01-27-2017 07:56 PM

I quit for many reasons, but one thing that sticks out to me is I looked at my grandson playing and said to myself if I don't quit I'll never see him graduate high school. I'll miss it all.

I quit the next morning.

JeffreyAK 01-27-2017 09:58 PM

Because I finally understood, there was no way to stop the escalating negative consequences of my alcohol addiction without quitting completely and permanently.

PhoenixJ 01-27-2017 10:11 PM

because I literally burnt myself to death and science brought me back- 3 times. Because after this my family disowned me, I was hours from being homeless after hospital. I had no clothes, money or safe housing, I was robbed 4 times. Because if I ever, EVER touch a drink again- I will die.

Shellster 01-29-2017 07:22 PM

Because I've lost control completely.
Because I don't know who I am anymore.
Because I embarrassed myself horribly for the last time.
Because I'm tired of hating myself.
Because I'm tired of waking up with zero recollection of what I said or did.
Because I finally realized- I'm worth more than this.

gaffo 01-29-2017 08:00 PM

I quit because I wanted to achieve my maximum potential. I'm still figuring out how to do that. It's a daily puzzle but I do know that I'm a way better dad.