Notices

My blood pressure

Old 01-13-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My blood pressure

Was 118/79 today. Before I quit drinking over 200 days ago, it was always high - wasn't unusual for it to be 170/110 some days. Doctor always said I was headed for a stroke. I was also pre-diabetic and obese, at the age of 42.

I just wanted to share. My numbers have returned to normal with no medication whatsoever. Just another thing to be grateful for. There are many. Sending my best wishes and good thoughts to all of you tonight.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sober style

Same for me, HopeandFaith. Mine was up around 220/140 in February of last year, as crazy as that sounds. I had some dental work due, and the dentist wouldn't touch me cause of my BP. Quitting drinking brought it right down, lost a bunch of weight and started exercising too. Don't even need medicine anymore.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is fantastic Snazzy Dresser. Way to go
Old 01-13-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for mentioning Hope and Snazzy. Mine went down too. Was always borderline high. Had it checked a few days ago and it was way lower. I think 120 over 79 or so. Happy for you both, let's stay alcohol free!
Old 01-13-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CLAS View Post
Thanks for mentioning Hope and Snazzy. Mine went down too. Was always borderline high. Had it checked a few days ago and it was way lower. I think 120 over 79 or so. Happy for you both, let's stay alcohol free!
Happy for you as well CLAS. That is a great idea
Old 01-13-2017, 07:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Very happy to hear that Hope! I have high BP in the family and also had it when I was drinking but it's returned well under 120/80 for me too. Thanks for the reminder of yet another benefit of sobriety!
Old 01-13-2017, 10:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Very happy to hear that Hope! I have high BP in the family and also had it when I was drinking but it's returned well under 120/80 for me too. Thanks for the reminder of yet another benefit of sobriety!
You are welcome Scott! It is always encouraging to see proof of how sobriety can help to heal our bodies, not to mention what it can do for our souls.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to hear that HopeandFaith

D
Old 01-14-2017, 02:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Same boat here, I had to be put on BP meds when I was 30 because of the drinking, comes right down once you stop!
Old 01-15-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys, pretty amazing how resilient our bodies can be isn't it?
Old 01-15-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Same here, with about the same numbers. I was on blood pressure meds before I quit, though of course I didn't tell the doctors that I drank like a fish. Nowadays the docs are surprised and impressed when they see my "normal" numbers, with no meds at all. I was up near 180 over something at times when I was a heavy drinker, now it's often 115/75.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm the same age as you HopeandFaith, I've been put on high blood pressure meds before too. I know from previous experience once I stop drinking it comes down. Great reminder of yet another reason to never drink again. Big kudos on over 200 days! Thanks for your post!
Old 01-15-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Same for me. I havent had a drink for 76 days and my BP has fallen from 170/110 to 130/80.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

That's great that your BP returned to normal. I'd urge you not to do what I did and look at that as having dodged a bullet and then decide it's safe to drink again. My BP used to return to normal within about 6 weeks of quitting drinking. I've currently been sober a year and 9 months, and this time it still hasn't returned to normal. I'm still on 2 BP meds. So, the moral of the story is cherish your good health and don't push your luck! You might just not be so lucky next time.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've been on bp meds for a couple of years. Mine was 135/75 before i quit, then it went up, now 145/80 (day16). I hope it comes down. My weight is about the same even though my eating is quite normal again. when I drank I ate like a horse.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HarleyDad View Post
I've been on bp meds for a couple of years. Mine was 135/75 before i quit, then it went up, now 145/80 (day16). I hope it comes down. My weight is about the same even though my eating is quite normal again. when I drank I ate like a horse.
I think it will HarleyDad. I know everyone is different and only a doctor could tell you for sure, but it did take a while for my numbers to stabilize after I quit - I have over 200 days now but I was seeing pretty obvious changes after about 30.

The weight thing has been weird because I'll lose about ten pounds and then stay there for a few months then all of a sudden lose several more pounds, then again stay at that weight for a couple months, then it drops again - oh well, not complaining! Best of luck to you!
Old 01-17-2017, 09:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KAD View Post
That's great that your BP returned to normal. I'd urge you not to do what I did and look at that as having dodged a bullet and then decide it's safe to drink again. My BP used to return to normal within about 6 weeks of quitting drinking. I've currently been sober a year and 9 months, and this time it still hasn't returned to normal. I'm still on 2 BP meds. So, the moral of the story is cherish your good health and don't push your luck! You might just not be so lucky next time.
After more than 20 years of intensive research on the effects of long term alcoholism, I have concluded that any decision on my part to pick back up at this point would be complete insanity. To be honest if high blood pressure was the worst of my worries, I probably never would have stopped drinking - however along with the high BP comes a host of other very undesirable health conditions and behavior problems that I would prefer to stay away from. I have a feeling that if I chose to go back out at this point, I might not make it back again.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
I'm the same age as you HopeandFaith, I've been put on high blood pressure meds before too. I know from previous experience once I stop drinking it comes down. Great reminder of yet another reason to never drink again. Big kudos on over 200 days! Thanks for your post!
You are welcome AlaskaGirl, and thank you!
Old 01-24-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopeandFaith1 View Post
Was 118/79 today. Before I quit drinking over 200 days ago, it was always high - wasn't unusual for it to be 170/110 some days. Doctor always said I was headed for a stroke. I was also pre-diabetic and obese, at the age of 42.

I just wanted to share. My numbers have returned to normal with no medication whatsoever. Just another thing to be grateful for. There are many. Sending my best wishes and good thoughts to all of you tonight.
Hi! I am a weekend heavy drinker, about two bottles of tequila or whiskey on the weekend, sometimes three bottles. I just got put on a BP rescue medication because my BP fluctuates between 140/84 - 150/94 at night. This was an eye opener for me because I eat well, exercise so I did not realize it could be the drinking. This realization has made me decide to stop the weekend drinking. I hope to see similar good results with abstinence. Great job!
Old 01-25-2017, 10:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Mine was 142/86 today, five months no alcohol, but too much salt and way too much caffeine. normal baseline used to run about 114 systolic, and it still does right after exercise if I hydrated good.. and that's what i need to do and avoid the salty snacks. :P

That's borderline hypertension and even if it is intermittently elevated it can cause damage to your body, so we all need to work to keep this in check in sobriety, by doing things to manage STRESS. Try meditation once and then check your bp.