SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Shaking hands and scared (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/403789-shaking-hands-scared.html)

Ace1248 01-22-2017 07:29 PM

Shaking hands and scared

I've never experienced shaking hands before, along with racing heart and anxiety. Got me quite scared.

Unfortunately solved it with a bottle of wine because I was just crawling out of my skin.

I've been drinking water but still feeling scared. Not sure how serious these withdrawal symptoms are and nervous for work tomorrow.

JeffreyAK 01-22-2017 07:49 PM

That's common in alcohol withdrawal, as is insomnia. Have you tried to quit before?

Mountainmanbob 01-22-2017 08:03 PM

Be careful those symptoms can be dangerous.
Have you thought about contacting your doctor?
Mountainman

ScottFromWI 01-22-2017 08:23 PM

That is potentially a sign of physical dependence, an as others have mentioned potentially dangerous. Seeking medical help is a completely acceptable choice. Better to be safe than sorry, right?

PhoenixJ 01-22-2017 08:53 PM

Yep- doctor. Prayers.

Ionray 01-22-2017 09:05 PM

I got to that point and things quickly got much, much worse for me. As others have said, you're in withdrawal/dependence territory. It makes sense to do the only thing you know that will quiet the shakes and anxiety, which is drink more. But it was my experience that the longer I extended the problem by drinking, the withdrawals just got worse and worse. By the end, I was no longer drinking to feel good, I was drinking to feel normal. Sound familiar?

Don't mean to scare you more than you already are, just giving it to you straight. The only way to solve this problem is to quit drinking and when you do, you're likely going to have a crappy, scary couple of days. You may be able muscle through it on your own but better option is to see your doctor who can prescribe meds. Failing that, at least have a trusted friend with you or who knows what's going on and where you are in case you seize and need to get to a hospital. I didn't think that would happen to me but it did.

BarbieKen 01-22-2017 10:57 PM

I was admitted to Kaiser ( my HMO) Medical Detox when I quit. From there I went to a 30 day rehab. We aren't doctors here, I very strongly suggest you get your doctor's recommendation on how best to stop using. Your life could depend on it.
Bobbi

FBL 01-23-2017 03:34 AM

The morning shakes and crippling anxiety are what finally got me to seek medical attention. It only gets worse if left untreated.

August252015 01-23-2017 03:48 AM

Morning shakes, retching and/or throwing up without drinking or eating anything or when trying to swallow anything, all kinds of symptoms were my norm for the last part of my drinking career (I had these and others on and off for several years before I quit- they kept getting worse). At some points, I couldn't even sign my name. Drinking more was the only immediate cure......stopping completely was the only true cure.

It is scary to take the leap and quit. Getting all the help you can makes it easier. You can do it - I hope to see you around.

Done4today 01-23-2017 04:21 AM

Drink as much water as you can, get food in you, and please call for medical care if it at all crosses your mind. Detoxing from alcohol can be very dangerous and deadly. Many prayers and keep coming back to post.

RecklessEric 01-23-2017 06:09 AM

Shaking hands, shaking body, anxiety, racing heart, racing thoughts.
I've had all of the above.
It's pretty normal and really horrible.
I'd echo the suggestion of seeing a doctor.

Ionray 01-23-2017 11:25 AM

Another thing I remembered that you don't hear about as much. Get your blood pressure checked. By the time I was far enough in to experience the kinds of withdrawals you're talking about, mine was sky-high and probably had been for years. Another lovely side effect of alcohol abuse.

Ace please check in and let us know how you're doing. Prayers to you, friend. Withdrawal is hell, I wouldn't wish those feelings on my worst enemy.

Michael66 01-23-2017 12:35 PM

Hey there Ace. Yeah - a bit of a warning sign there I guess. I felt so rubbish when I had those symptoms (I often had sweats as well).

I'm sure you know - topping up with alcohol is not a real solution. There is a much much better choice :)

Ace1248 01-23-2017 06:23 PM

Thank you everyone. You really helped ease my fears and I am feeling better today.
I hope never to experience that again. But I see how strong my dependence has become... especially psychologically, emotionally and socially. Trying to figure out where to go from here.

Gottalife 01-23-2017 11:50 PM

Shakes used to be the normal thing among newcomers. When tea/coffee was served after the meetings we all had a cup with a saucer to catch the spillage. These days I dont see so many shaking wrecks. I'm not sure why.

FBL 01-24-2017 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ace1248 (Post 6304545)
Thank you everyone. You really helped ease my fears and I am feeling better today.
I hope never to experience that again. But I see how strong my dependence has become... especially psychologically, emotionally and socially. Trying to figure out where to go from here.

Ace, glad you're feeling better. The only way I know to never experience that again, is to quit drinking for good.