Notices

Hungover Every AM -- 3 Weeks Sober

Old 01-20-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hungover Every AM -- 3 Weeks Sober

So I'm going on 3 weeks sober and still having really bad headaches in the mornings. Feels like I have the flu or a hangover. Have others experienced these symptoms this far along? How long did they last? I've been making sure to drink a ton of water so I know dehydration is out.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yeah I had the hangover feeling after 3 weeks sober it last every morning for about a week for me. It will pass in time just stick it out.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What else are you doing to take care of your body besides abstaining from alcohol? Are you sleeping well? Are you consuming a lot of caffeine? Are you drinking enough water?
Old 01-20-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drink a lot of water, I've been eating well, working out, 7.5 hours of sleep a night, and caffeine every morning and sometimes in the afternoon (green Tea) When I was having that morning hangover feeling I was still in rehab so I was eating perfect.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

yes its common, it will pass. drink water and eat clean to aide your recovery
Old 01-20-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dehydrated? Drinking water?

Many alcoholics would answer...water? What's that?

P
Old 01-20-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering

I'm at day 21 and have had a lousy week. Not everyone has this, but yes it is quite common. As ever go see your doc if worried, but lots of us have a hard first few weeks. It will pass, and we only have to do this once (unless you're like me and then suddenly think after 4 years sober it is somehow really smart to go and have some beers....).

Don't give in because it seems sobriety is yuk. It will get better, and better, and better.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering

Originally Posted by paulokes View Post
Many alcoholics would answer...water? What's that?

P
It's what you mix with malt, hops and yeast
Old 01-20-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
What else are you doing to take care of your body besides abstaining from alcohol? Are you sleeping well? Are you consuming a lot of caffeine? Are you drinking enough water?

Yeah I workout 5 days+ a week both cardio and resistance training. I've modified my diet heavily (although I still eat a few unhealthy things) but I cut out sugar almost completely. I consume a TON of caffeine each day, I know this needs to be taken care of as well but.. one thing at a time really. Tons of water, too much water daily lol

-------------

Thanks for the responses everybody, I figure it's just my body readjusting. I'll settle down and pop some OTC pain meds lol
Old 01-20-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CODad3 View Post
So I'm going on 3 weeks sober and still having really bad headaches in the mornings. Feels like I have the flu or a hangover. Have others experienced these symptoms this far along? How long did they last? I've been making sure to drink a ton of water so I know dehydration is out.
Be careful of drinking too much water. I had similar symptoms to you after quitting alcohol, and it turned out that I had low sodium from too much liquid intake, or hyponatremia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia

I did not realize what the problem was, and ended up in hospital because my legs got weak. It is a dangerous condition, because your nerves don't work properly - I strongly suggest that you get medical help and have a test for sodium levels.

P.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Headaches are common for me in the first few weeks of sobriety. It feels like a dull ache in the front of my head behind my eyes. When it finally goes away it feels like a weight is lifted from my eyelids.

Like others have said, check with your doc if it's concerning to you. But I don't doubt that it's common in early recovery.