Notices

2 Week Checkup

Old 01-17-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 Week Checkup

So, tomorrow marks my two weeks sober, I'm very happy and proud of making it this far.

That being said, when I first started this undertaking, my doctor did some bloodwork and everything came back normal except my Liver Function tests were high, I remember the numbers etched in my memory because I've been blessed enough to never have any real health issues in my 30 years of life other than being overweight.

116 and 87.. Those were the numbers, double the "normal range". Now, I'm obviously not asking for medical advice as I am very much involved with my doctor in my recovery, but rather I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or stories of hope with getting your liver back on track after beating it up for years.

I'm optimistic as I havent poured any poison into my body and have actually lost almost 15 pounds since I haven't been downing 15+ beers on a nightly basis.

Edit:
Forgot to add that I will be having another blood draw tomorrow, so hopefully the numbers have already started coming down!

Last edited by RealSLC12; 01-17-2017 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 01-17-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good effort, in no time you will feel the health benefits of abstaining from alcohol. Based on my experience, your weight will drop, you will have more energy and get motivated to exercise, you will eat better and sleep better. The Liver is an amazingly resilient organ and will repair itself. If you had intestinal problems like I did (reflux, ulcers, passing blood etc) you will find over time that these will resolve. I had heart palpitations as well and tachycardia and high BP, all resolved in a matter of months.
I'm lucky that I didn't suffer any long term health effects although my short and mid-term memory gets me worried at times.
Since sobering up I run regularly, taken up martial arts and cross fit and consuming less sugar. Recovery is like a wave that gains momentum, you ride it and good habits build better habits.
Holistic recovery treats the body, mind and spirit. The real challenge is the mental game, but you can do it and embrace contented sobriety. Look for support from fellow recovering alcoholics and keep plugging away one day at a time, no matter how hard it gets, it will get better.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Real - a lot of members have reported having elevated liver enzymes when they quit, with many reporting that after months of sustained total abstinence from alcohol, the numbers went back to normal. Obviously everyone is different though so rely on your doctor's advice and direction. It's great that you are actively involving a medical professional in your recovery.

I recommend checking out the "Stories of Recovery" section of the forum, which has a ton of great posts from members who have one year + of freedom from alcohol. Lots of inspiration and some really incredible, life-changing turnarounds there.

Keep up the good work and read and post often.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 2 Weeks RLC. I hope your tests go well today, but do remember that you are very, very early in sobriety so it's probably going to take time for everything to get back to "normal". The liver is a pretty amazing organ and it can take a lot of punishment and still come back, but it takes longer than 2 weeks. Keep doing what you are doing and you are already seeing a lot of positive improvements in your weight and feeling better in general, right? Patience is a difficult thing for addicts to achieve because we want instant gratification....but it's something we need to learn.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 2wks! I've lost about 12lbs since I stopped drinking. Was actually looking at myself in the mirror(hard to do when I was bingeing) last night and thought "wow! guess this sobriety thing isn't so bad." My face had gotten puffy,gut was bloated, I looked like s**t while drinking in excess the way I was. I won't be going down that rabbit hole again.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Was actually looking at myself in the mirror(hard to do when I was bingeing) last night and thought "wow! guess this sobriety thing isn't so bad." My face had gotten puffy,gut was bloated, I looked like s**t while drinking in excess the way I was. I won't be going down that rabbit hole again.
Funny you say that DontRemember, I looked at my face in the mirror and noticed it was waaaay less red and my cheeks and around my eyes looked like they had deflated substantially, haha. I've gone from being 305 lbs during the holidays when I was drinking beers by the case to 284 this afternoon! I'm enjoying my new addiction of getting back in the gym every evening.

Still waiting to find out about the liver tests in the morning.