Notices

Phantom Hangover

Old 01-15-2017, 02:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Phantom Hangover

I'm about 18 days sober and I'm really happy about it. This morning I woke up and almost felt hungover. I felt run down and heart was beating a little harder than normal (fine now). Just felt blah and really did feel hangoverish. Upon waking I had the same negative thought I have had a thousand times- that I won't drink again- except I hadn't drank anything.

Maybe it was something I ate? Maybe just one of those inexplicable things our bodies do for no obvious reason? Not sure, just thought I would share. I'm guessing I can't be the only one that has felt this. Happy Sober Sunday everyone!
Old 01-15-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

CLAS-I used to call that my mental hangover. I think for me- it was/is the real me waking up after being put in chains by drinking for so long. For me- there was definitely a physical side as well. Sleep, diet, water intake, weight, depression, blood pressure etc. I got a full medical workup- everything from prostate to brain function. That way I knew what was going on- instead of avoiding, worrying. Knowing was empowering. F-f support by AA, SMART, psychologist and focussed addiction therapy has been very necessary for me as well.
Prayers to you, PJ.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Today I am 83 days sober and I still feel like crap when I wake up every morning.

It does get slightly better everyday and as the day goes on I feel better.

After 27 years of daily alcohol abuse, I figure it will take some time for my body to heal.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I'm just over 2 months sober and I've had mornings like that too. I'll just wake up feeling groggier than usual, and feeling like crap for no discernible reason. I'm always relieved that it wasn't from drinking!
Old 01-15-2017, 04:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CLAS View Post
I'm about 18 days sober and I'm really happy about it. This morning I woke up and almost felt hungover. I felt run down and heart was beating a little harder than normal (fine now). Just felt blah and really did feel hangoverish. Upon waking I had the same negative thought I have had a thousand times- that I won't drink again- except I hadn't drank anything.

Maybe it was something I ate? Maybe just one of those inexplicable things our bodies do for no obvious reason? Not sure, just thought I would share. I'm guessing I can't be the only one that has felt this. Happy Sober Sunday everyone!
I'm 18 days too!!! Well done... I think it's. One of them things, rebuilding takes a while. ... there's ups and downs in life and with out drink u can feel them all!!!

Join the December thread if u want support from.people with similar quit date!!!

All the best ...
Old 01-15-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 18 days CLAS. As others have mentioned these kinds of days can happen for a host of different reasons. Not drinking enough water, too much sugar, a bad nights sleep, a virus, anxiety, etc... Hope your day gets better soon!
Old 01-15-2017, 04:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mix a "drinking dream" with a phantom hangover. Have them on occasion. Recurring dream of ending up in a bar, getting drunk and knowing everything has just gone to hell. I'll wake up in relief to realize it was all a dream but still have what I can only describe as a hangover! The mind is a mysterious thing and the "beast" of addiction always lurks somewhere there in the dark recesses of the id tempting the ego.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

14 Days today, woke up feeling the same way. I'm going to try to up my nutrition game. Better foods and vitamins to help my body heal. Nice to know it's not from drinking last night, and we don't have to detox again, right CLAS? We got this!
Old 01-15-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, I remember those. I'm not sure what causes them, I don't think it's diet or anything, maybe it's just your body and mind rebooting itself. Mine went away in a month or two. Don't worry, it's temporary
Old 01-15-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know I eat too much sugar but it helps with the alcohol cravings.

I ate pretty healthy yesterday; felt good this morning, better than usual.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You're not alone! I'm on day 18 right now and several times since quitting I've woken up in a minor hangover-like state. Fuzzy head, dry mouth. I figure it's because I'm a little dehydrated (apparently common early on in quitting....strangely! But can see why as not exactly replacing alcohol glass for glass with water) and my diet hasn't been great (craving sugar).

It's nice to remind yourself this ISNT a hangover though!

All the best.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah.. there's that little period where you rebound after having detoxed, and you feel great, and then the rebound effect wears off, and you find out have to do a whole bunch of other stuff in order to feel good all of the time!

Be patient with yourself because you are accustomed to only having to do one thing to feel better - drink - and you did it automatically and the reward was instant. Now we have to work on getting quality sleep, adequate exercise, making healthier food choices and drinking enough water and it's WORK and we don't get to see results right away!

I don't think it's a good idea to try to change all your habits over night, you'll get overwhelmed and irritable to where you give in to the one way you know you can shut down! One little improvement at a time.