Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Been a rough road..Binge Drinking Gastritis/anxiety/gerd

Notices

Been a rough road..Binge Drinking Gastritis/anxiety/gerd

Old 01-11-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I would like to thank everyone for there input. I am back to work today and its so hard. This grastritis is no joke my stomach by sternum burn/in pain. This is my 3rd day on ppi Protonix with not much relief.

I hope the Dr or something else (aloe,medicine) can provide more relief for the burning by my stomach.

Is the gastritis really this bad at night its so bad lucky if I get a couple hours of sleep. How much longer. Im losing all control.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hard to say how much longer jdvert, did your doctor give any indication of how long it might take?

I can almost certainly say though that it will be a lot longer if you keep drinking any amount of alcohol. In fact it might never get better and get worse if you don't quit.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdvert View Post

She thinks that my alcohol consumption is excessive. I had an endoscopy today and was diagnosed with a 2cm hiatal hernia, gastritis and esphogitus. The gastro DR who preformed the endoscopy rated it a 5 on a 1 to 10 scale.
You don't want to push that reading any higher than 5.
You can probably bring it way down if you stop drinking.
Best to read the writing when it's plain as day on the wall.
Sure wish that I would have paid more attention to my doctors orders given to me many years ago.

M-Bob
Old 01-11-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
You don't want to push that reading any higher than 5.
You can probably bring it way down if you stop drinking.
Best to read the writing when it's plain as day on the wall.
Sure wish that I would have paid more attention to my doctors orders given to me many years ago.

M-Bob
For sure I am going to listen. A few of my buddys at work dont think the amout I was drinking would do this. I told them Dr said yes it would. Praying this goes away hurts so bad.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Perfect time to set your sights on a healthier lifestyle.

As far as staying sober.
A lot of help here on site.

M-Bob
Old 01-11-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Tell them to read a little more.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Did your doctor give you a diet to follow in addition to cutting out alcohol?

I'm another one that got worse on PPI medication. Quitting drinking and cutting out anything acidic (orange juice, vinegar), or spicy or greasy or deep-fried, tomatoes, coffee, soda, and onions/garlic made a big difference in a few weeks. Having been sober now for a while I am able to add small quantities of those foods back into my diet.

I'm so sorry you're having this pain.

P.S. Any of your work buddies go to medical school? No? Then maybe they're not a good source for health advice, yes?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Maybe they drink a bit too much themselves and don't want to admit that it could be damaging to their health?
Either way, I'm glad you're taking care of yourself!
Old 01-11-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Did your doctor give you a diet to follow in addition to cutting out alcohol?

I'm another one that got worse on PPI medication. Quitting drinking and cutting out anything acidic (orange juice, vinegar), or spicy or greasy or deep-fried, tomatoes, coffee, soda, and onions/garlic made a big difference in a few weeks. Having been sober now for a while I am able to add small quantities of those foods back into my diet.

I'm so sorry you're having this pain.

P.S. Any of your work buddies go to medical school? No? Then maybe they're not a good source for health advice, yes?
Yes she did give me a diet to follow and I have been following it. So far I am not impressed with the PPI and other med but its only been 3 days. Since I been on PPI feels like food sticking in throat and dint have that before then. Irritating for sure trying to see these Dr is hard. Wait a month for next appt is nonsense. Why did the PPI not work for you?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I don't really know why it didn't work...I am weirdly medication sensitive to pretty much everything. In the very beginning I felt really horrible after I started it...my PA's advice was to double the dose. A day later I saw the surgeon who had done my endoscopy and he suggested going off it and seeing if I felt better...it was a rough couple of days but he was right.

But this does NOT mean to suggest that you try that without your doctor knowing? Everyone is different. Maybe you can call her if you don't feel a little better soon?

It may take a while for the effects of the binge drinking to heal. Alcohol is a big gastrointestinal irritant, especially if you were a shots kind of drinker. But even beer in those quantities will mess you up over time. I was more of a consistency drinker than a quantity drinker and it still bit me hard after fifteen years.

Hope you start to feel better soon...
Old 01-12-2017, 03:05 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good luck jdvert! Welcome to SR.

Alcohol is very caustic to tissue. One of many reasons alcoholics/heavy drinkers have esophageal issues, i.e. varices.

I hope that you find a solution to your health problems. Keep coming back and giving us updates.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Well I have not had a drink in 10 days. I am still dealing with gastritis and hiatal hernia.
I have one gastro DR. who thinks my hernia is causing me my pain and gastritis and and she thinks I might need surgery.

I went for 2nd opinion and other gastro DR who thinks my drinking caused gastritis and hernia is on the small side 2cm and thinks my symptoms should clear up in time.

I really dont want surgery and hope its more from the alcohol. Either way being off the alcohol is beneficial for my body.

I do catch myself staring at the bootle saying just one shot but pushing thru this. This really does suck..thanks for listening.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Congrats on 10 days! I'm glad you are working with your doctor. If you do need hernia surgery, they should be able to do it as an outpatient, and hopefully you will feel better soon after,

You mentioned staring at the bottle, it might be a good idea to get rid of it so there are no temptations. You definitely don't want to make things worse by drinking.

Glad you checked in, keep us posted on how you are doing.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdvert View Post
Well I have not had a drink in 10 days. I am still dealing with gastritis and hiatal hernia.
I have one gastro DR. who thinks my hernia is causing me my pain and gastritis and and she thinks I might need surgery.

I went for 2nd opinion and other gastro DR who thinks my drinking caused gastritis and hernia is on the small side 2cm and thinks my symptoms should clear up in time.

I really dont want surgery and hope its more from the alcohol. Either way being off the alcohol is beneficial for my body.

I do catch myself staring at the bootle saying just one shot but pushing thru this. This really does suck..thanks for listening.
Hi jdvert. Ok maybe this qualifies as actual medical advice but I have to tell you that I have similar "leaky gut" illness and hypothyroidism and I did have hiatal hernia years ago.

Pharmaceuticals didn't help. I started using Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with "the mother" it contains live cultures. You can find in the supermarket.

I hope you ask your Dr. if you can try it. I put two table spoons in a large glass, add some lemon and or lime and honey if you like and fill glass with water.

Vinegar balances the acid/alkaline content in your body and that eases many problems including gastritis. Please have a quick look online you'll see all the benefits of this totally natural cure (controls blood sugar, hormones, detox, clears your skin, cured my cats' upper respiratory..) I know you are suffering but glad that you are getting better and you will continue this way.