SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   My wife left me (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/403167-my-wife-left-me.html)

Mester 01-09-2017 03:45 PM

My wife left me

My wife left. So I drank. I don't know if I will ever get her back.

Back to day 1. This is not going to be easy

Doug39 01-09-2017 03:53 PM

Sorry to here that.

But drinking will only make things worse.

Good luck.

NewRomanMan 01-09-2017 03:54 PM

Well, you're sure not ever going to get her back by drinking, are you? This is where the rubber meets the road. When my wife left me I had two choices: Crawl inside the bottle and die, or sober up and show her what I was made of. I chose the latter. She didn't come back. But you know what? She knows I changed. She knows she missed out and I'm strong enough to know now that I don't care if she comes back or not anymore. I miss her. I do. But my life is going to go on. Better than it ever has been. Because I'm sober and I'm the best 'me' I've ever been. Use this to motivate you. You can do it.

site1Q84 01-09-2017 04:18 PM

Sorry to hear that Mester, but glad you jumped on here to share.

There's no better time to quit drinking than right now. I'm back on Day 1 myself after a few good years, so I feel you. But I know that the time I had sober was WAY better than the drinks I had yesterday. It sucks to start over, but it's way better than the alternative.

least 01-09-2017 04:19 PM

Drinking 'at her' won't help get her back, for sure. I hope you can get sober for good this time. Whether or not she comes back, you can still have a better life sober.

Dee74 01-09-2017 04:29 PM

Good advice here Mester. I'm sorry for what happened but I hope you'll stay sober for yourself.

D

Mester 01-09-2017 04:48 PM

I'm done. I've hit my rock bottom. She left and I miss her so much. I've stopped drinking but I won't be sober until tomorrow. I'll start my Librium taper then. Dr. won't prescribe it until I blow 0.0.

I texted her and agreed to give her her space. I'm just sitting here in my empty house. Wife gone. Kids are with her too.

I hope the withdrawals aren't too bad

site1Q84 01-09-2017 04:51 PM

Well I'm glad you've stopped drinking - that's a step in the right direction for sure!

Glad you have a Dr lined up as well so he can help if you're having any withdrawl symptoms.

Maybe some space will be what you need in the end to get sober for good and get yourself figured out. Sometimes a little time away works out in the end. You never know.

columbus 01-09-2017 04:53 PM

Oh, boy...

Don't know what to say. Hang in there. People here care.

Mountainmanbob 01-09-2017 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mester (Post 6284089)
My wife left. So I drank. I don't know if I will ever get her back.

Back to day 1. This is not going to be easy

I know that these are not easy times for you.
Do your best to stay sober through it all.
M-Bob

2muchpain 01-09-2017 05:17 PM

Sorry to hear your going through such a tough time Mester and I hope everything turns out ok for you. John

shortstop81 01-09-2017 05:40 PM

I'm so sorry Mester.

As hard as it is to hear, you need to stay sober for yourself first and foremost. You can do this.

Please keep posting and let us know how you're doing.

thomas11 01-09-2017 06:34 PM

That's rough Mester, and I'm very sad to hear that. But as others have said, you are basically at a fork in the road. One goes to an early grave with the booze and the other one starts a fresh chapter in your life. Our decisions define us, and you have one to make. I hope it is the right one. Wishing you the best.

PhoenixJ 01-09-2017 06:39 PM

I will not go into my story. Been there- drinking makes what seems the worst- seem like a dream. Try to get help- AA meeting, SMART, therapist, doctor, priest- someone outside your normal circle. Thoughts and prayers.

entropy1964 01-09-2017 06:46 PM

I'm going to make a bit of an assumption here but I'm guessing alcoholism has played into her decision. I'm so sorry.

I'm glad you're starting over. Coping with pain and loss head on is very tough. But inevitable I think. Hang in there.

Mester 01-09-2017 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 (Post 6284424)
I'm going to make a bit of an assumption here but I'm guessing alcoholism has played into her decision. I'm so sorry.

I'm glad you're starting over. Coping with pain and loss head on is very tough. But inevitable I think. Hang in there.

Yes. I got sober for 4 years. Relapsed. Thought I had everything under control. I didn't. Had 2 weeks of new sobriety. We got into an argument. She left. So I drank.
We've been together 18 years. I don't know what I'm going to do without her.

entropy1964 01-09-2017 07:14 PM

Yeah I remember you saying that. I've had periods of sobriety too.....seems they are pretty much forgotten when I relapse. Personally it took me a while to realize just how much a normal person can't understand the power of addiction. So when I'm not drinking, a huge deal for me, it's just expected by those around me. When I relapse, something that i more easily accept, they see as a huge deal. Not sure if that makes sense.

It's hard but giving her some space is probably a good call. She knows you can do this. Maybe there's hope in the future.

entropy1964 01-09-2017 07:15 PM

Yeah I remember you saying that. I've had periods of sobriety too.....seems they are pretty much forgotten when I relapse. Personally it took me a while to realize just how much a normal person can't understand the power of addiction. So when I'm not drinking, a huge deal for me, it's just expected by those around me. When I relapse, something that i more easily accept, they see as a huge deal. Not sure if that makes sense.

It's hard but giving her some space is probably a good call. She knows you can do this. Maybe there's hope in the future.

entropy1964 01-09-2017 07:15 PM

I have no idea why that posted twice. Forum gremlin.

SnazzyDresser 01-09-2017 07:20 PM

Mester, that sucks that your wife left. You gotta look out for #1 now. Back to basic principles. Not drinking right now is the best possible thing you can do for yourself.