Notices

Take advantage of time

Old 01-06-2017, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Take advantage of time

Beat alcoholism with sobriety time. Don't drink day after day after day. The fear of total abstinence will soon weaken. You're mind, body and spirit will gain strength. The ravages of the disease will eventually disappear. You will feel acceptance and confidence in you're everyday affairs. The great illusion of alcoholism does not have a chance against sobriety time. The only thing you need is a willingness to accept change. Because you're life will definitely change. It will change for the better. You have to give it time. It can be your greatest ally in beating this disease known as alcoholism.

Why did I post this? Because we have newcomers here that surcome to relapse. I hate this disease with a passion. Sometimes I don't have the best advice. Sometimes none at all. But one thing I do know. It gets easier with time and it does get better. Allways.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It was funny, I went to a bar last night with my wife to meet a friend.

As I sat at the bar nursing my Coke I looked around at the people, many of them sitting alone, drinking and not really looking that happy. I felt sorry for them.

This one woman really caught my eye. She was sitting alone and downing shot after shot.

This was my life for so many years - what a waste of time.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know. Bars feel very strange when we no longer drink. We rarely go to restaurants with bars anymore. Not that they are a trigger. I was an at-home drinker. They just seem so sad now. Everyone trying to have a good time by drinking. That's how it seems to me, but I am looking through a former drinker's eyes. Peace.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally I wasn't even going to go with my wife to the bar; she was going to go alone to met our friend and I was going to go to an AA meeting.

I had already gone to an AA meeting that morning so I choose to go to the bar. When I was at the bar, bored out of my mind watching my wife, our friend and everybody drinking, I wished I would have gone to the AA meeting.

I will keep this incident in mind for the future.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Doug you're doing so well. I respect anyone that can maintain that kind of 'separate' thinking in a relationship where drinking has played such a huge role (drinking buddies?). Its easy to get very enmeshed and learning to detach is critical. Good on ya!

With respect to the OP: A man on a forum I used to participate in used the term 'sober equity'. I thought that was genius.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Doug you're doing so well. I respect anyone that can maintain that kind of 'separate' thinking in a relationship where drinking has played such a huge role (drinking buddies?)..
Thanks.

I have always been an all or nothing type of person. When I do something I go big. I am in the mindset now to stay sober and it is what consumes a lot of my time now.

Unfortunately I went big with some bad things in life like drinking. I could never have one drink. It was either drink everyday till I got my fill or not drink at all.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the post Wayne

D
Old 01-08-2017, 05:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Absolutely dee!
Old 01-22-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by waynetheking View Post
Beat alcoholism with sobriety time. Don't drink day after day after day. The fear of total abstinence will soon weaken. You're mind, body and spirit will gain strength. The ravages of the disease will eventually disappear. You will feel acceptance and confidence in you're everyday affairs. The great illusion of alcoholism does not have a chance against sobriety time. The only thing you need is a willingness to accept change. Because you're life will definitely change. It will change for the better. You have to give it time. It can be your greatest ally in beating this disease known as alcoholism.

Why did I post this? Because we have newcomers here that surcome to relapse. I hate this disease with a passion. Sometimes I don't have the best advice. Sometimes none at all. But one thing I do know. It gets easier with time and it does get better. Allways.
Profound and awesome x