Notices

Yoga & Beer?!

Old 01-06-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yoga & Beer?!

I'm a live-and-let-live kind of person in my recovery. I stay out of other people's lives and focus on myself. I don't judge.

I do sometimes get a little depressed how the current culture seems to focus on socially acceptable gluttony, drinking, and pharmaceuticals, but it is what it is. I guess I'm sensitive to it because of my own addictions.

I had to pause when I saw a friend of mine on facebook who posted about a meetup called "yoga and beer". They do an hour long yoga class at a brewery, and then have beer afterward.

Then I googled it and saw that this is not an uncommon thing.

I just can't wrap my head around it. Seriously? Yoga and beer??? What's next, meditation and jello shots???
Old 01-06-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep. The studio I go to has hot yoga and wine night. Haha.

Frankly if I were a normal drinker, a very cold beer after hot yoga? Yeah. That'd work. But you see I'd have 5....,and possibly start a week bender.

I can make the error of seeing these things through a boozer's eyes. I do believe most people will have 1 drink, and maybe none.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Frickaflip. Your reply was helpful. Now I see it more like runners or bicyclists who I used to see going out for Starbucks after their runs. Thank you. You're right, I am looking at it through an alcoholic's eyes.

I'm not sure what's going on in my recovery. I shouldn't be at this place. When another friend mentioned going to one of those painting-and-drink-wine places, it made me cringe, too, in the same way this yoga-and-beer thing did.

Someone posted a week or so ago for me not to think of myself as a high bottom alcoholic because that kind of thinking could kill you, and now here is another example. I wonder if I screwed up my recovery program because I did that. I should be past this sort of thing irritating me.

Just like I should be past my mouth watering. I still remember mentioning the mouth watering thing (it happened while watching a movie and someone in it was drinking) to my former sponsor and she completely invalidated it.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think it's a pretty common occurence. The Brewpub I used to call home was run by an avid cyclist, and they had a group of riders that would all go for evening rides and then come back to the pub for a beer and a pizza. Most of them would just have one or two beers and then just leave, quite a foreign concept to an alcholic of course.

I've had to accept that I simply cannot do those kinds of things and yes, we are certainly more sensitive to them as addicts, especially early on.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Chiming in although I'm not sure I'll be adding much.

I get it; it's very similar to the Starbucks thing you mentioned Centered. My local running store organizes many events and one of them is a monthly 5 mile run when afterward people are given a drink coupon for a bar around the corner. Beer, wine, soda, water, take your pick you get one for free. It encourages group interaction after a communal activity and for folks without an addiction issue, who will have just one alcoholic drink, it's not an issue.

I've run a number of marathons where small amounts of beer were handed out, depending upon the race, either during or at the finish line. Want some? Take some. Want a banana, go for that. Personally, it's no big deal.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I think it's a pretty common occurence. The Brewpub I used to call home was run by an avid cyclist, and they had a group of riders that would all go for evening rides and then come back to the pub for a beer and a pizza. Most of them would just have one or two beers and then just leave, quite a foreign concept to an alcholic of course.

I've had to accept that I simply cannot do those kinds of things and yes, we are certainly more sensitive to them as addicts, especially early on.
Thanks Scott. I guess I didn't realize how common it was.

What can I do differently in my recovery to not be so sensitive to it?

And what am I doing wrong in my recovery that I am still sensitive to these sorts of things?
Old 01-06-2017, 12:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
I've run a number of marathons where small amounts of beer were handed out, depending upon the race, either during or at the finish line. Want some? Take some. Want a banana, go for that. Personally, it's no big deal.
Thanks for chiming in, GC. It helped to hear your experience.

You wrote "Personally, it's no big deal." I wish I understood why I was still making a big deal then....
Old 01-06-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey centered.

I'm very early in recovery so I know very little. But I'm not sure I'd be so hard on yourself.

Maybe revisit acceptance. I'm not sure I'll ever stop being surprised by how other people can have alcohol involved and have it be innocuous. I mean, I get it, obviously. But I can get caught off guard at times. Is what it is.

Hopefully someone with more sober time will come along with much better wisdom than that
Old 01-06-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Centered3 View Post
What can I do differently in my recovery to not be so sensitive to it?

And what am I doing wrong in my recovery that I am still sensitive to these sorts of things?
I don't think you are doing anything wrong, it's common to be sensitive to these kinds of issues. Time will help, i'm not sure how long you've been sober but i would say it took me well over a full year to start getting more comfortable with things like that.

You are here discussing it now so that's a good thing. Getting the issues out there and learning how others respond will help. Another tool that I have been using is the concept of mindfulness and the practice of meditation. I think both help teach us to learn to accept things for what they are - which is key in the process of recovery.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hash House Harriers, the drinking club with a running problem...

I feel you, centered...
Old 01-06-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Old 01-06-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Centered, I wish I could offer you some insight as to why you feel as you do, but I'm truly not qualified to do so. Anything I write would be pure speculation.

As for me, I just decided to stop drinking, a decision I made for myself and by extension my family. I can't say why, but it doesn't bother me when others are having a drink in my presence and I'll be in that situation tonight. I have a book club meeting where there will be 6 of us. Half don't drink at all, interestingly, and AFAIK, the others are all moderate drinkers at most. I'll stick with my club soda, eat some good grub, and have some fine conversation.

I'll end this post by writing that the first time I came across beer being served at a marathon I was still drinking and when I saw the set up I literally laughed. It was at mile 19 of the 2008 Philadelphia Marathon, my first time running that event, and was absolutely caught unaware about what I found at the crest of the hill. I was tired yet still had 7 more miles to run and I actually became energized. To put things in perspective they were handing out those little "rinse please" dentist cups that were only about half full so it was essentially nothing, but it was memorable. Yes, I had one. Could I have had two, maybe, but my priority was getting to the finish line and hanging out doing mini shots of beer was not conducive to that goal. :-)
Old 01-06-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I remember back in the day when I could still juggle working out like a fiend as well keeping my alcoholic binges strictly to the weekend. I had read in like "Shape" magazine that A post workout beer could be good for a recovery drink. I could not or did not pay attention to the science behind it, I simply read "beer" and post workout" and that was all I needed! Of course, it was never just one.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Centered3
I do sometimes get a little depressed how the current culture seems to focus on socially acceptable gluttony, drinking, and pharmaceuticals, but it is what it is. I guess I'm sensitive to it because of my own addictions.
I'm bothered by it too but I don't think that's a bad thing. It's troubling that much of society is all about more, better, faster, quicker...we spend too much, eat too much, drink too much and escape reality as quickly and as often as we can. We should all be a little bit troubled by this imo.

and yes I personally think yoga and beer is weird, so you're not alone.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yep, around here there are running clubs (like mine) that have races then drinks after, or just a regular run with one drink per person on the house for the team, at a restaurant they are connected with in this way.

I pick and choose the events I do- didn't do the Urban Tree Cidery 5K last year, that started and ended at the brewery and included a tx for a beer (because of weather actually, but it was also early in my sobriety). At work, a group called BrewCru comes in after doing whatever that week's distance is and has food and/or drinks- first round on the restaurant; the group's leader got with us to set it up. Most of the group just has one, the most I have seen any person drink is three, and everyone just has a good time. Nothing bothersome to me about any of it.

People have all kinds of interests and healthy drinking habits can co-exist with things like exercise and all kinds of things. Of course, these days there are plenty of "combo" events and places where problem drinkers can hide out as they participate with others.

It's just all what it is, and since I'm an alcoholic, it's my sole job to decide when and where I'm ok joining in, sober.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The only reason I notice such things is a sort of wistfulness that I wasn't that girl... I've always had movement & fitness in my life, and at times that was enough to keep me sober, but my alcoholism always re-emerged. One of the reasons I found recovery was because my athleticism & partying tendencies simply couldn't co-exist. I would start with the beer after a workout & soon skip the workout for the beer.

I once was asked to leave a yoga class during a yoga teacher training because I was visibly intoxicated. It is one of a handful of my most humiliating alcoholic moments. I felt shame & shame & shame. I finished out the teacher training, but it was one of those experiences that profoundly crushed my denial.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ps. Only alcoholics actually attempt attending yoga teacher training while intoxicated, because we think we're just fine... Lol...
Old 01-06-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

C3,
every once in a while i catch myself muttering " i shouldn't be at this place" , and then i shake my head. we are at whatever place we're at. There is no should or should't about it that' of any use.
the best i can do, and the most sane, helpful and healthy is to accept where i'm at without putting a value judgment on it so that i can go from there.
berating myself or rproaching myself about where i'm at with something just leads me to avoidance and lack of clarity as i'm trying to manoeuver away from it in a defensive way.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Maybe revisit acceptance.
Thanks, Frickaflip. That is a very wise suggestion. :-)
Old 01-07-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Another tool that I have been using is the concept of mindfulness and the practice of meditation. I think both help teach us to learn to accept things for what they are - which is key in the process of recovery.
Thanks Scott. How would you apply mindfulness and meditation to this?

How do you practice acceptance?