Notices

Yoga & Beer?!

Old 01-07-2017, 06:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
I'll end this post by writing that the first time I came across beer being served at a marathon
Beer at a marathon? That I haven't heard but good for you for laughing. If I was still drinking I'd be joining a book club with wine drinkers but now it just irritates me that people drink wine at book clubs.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by babycat View Post
I remember back in the day when I could still juggle working out like a fiend as well keeping my alcoholic binges strictly to the weekend. I had read in like "Shape" magazine that A post workout beer could be good for a recovery drink. I could not or did not pay attention to the science behind it, I simply read "beer" and post workout" and that was all I needed! Of course, it was never just one.
Thanks for sharing that, babycat. I've had similar experiences with telling myself the health benefits of wine or that having a drink (or two, or three) will relax me and help my anxiety.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I'm bothered by it too but I don't think that's a bad thing. It's troubling that much of society is all about more, better, faster, quicker...we spend too much, eat too much, drink too much and escape reality as quickly and as often as we can.

and yes I personally think yoga and beer is weird, so you're not alone.
Exactly. I thought I'd be more social since quitting drinking, but everything feels so claustrophobic out there now that I'm "awake to the truth" so to speak and I just want to hide from it all.

Thanks for validating that you also think yoga and beer is weird. I dunno maybe it's self-awareness rearing its ugly head and that's what this is...the fact is I would've probably thought yoga and beer was an amazing idea when I was drinking!!!!!
Old 01-07-2017, 06:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Yep, around here there are running clubs (like mine) that have races then drinks after, or just a regular run with one drink per person on the house for the team, at a restaurant they are connected with in this way.
Thanks August. I didn't know this was such a thing. The drinks after the races don't bother you? Maybe it makes me uncomfortable because I could see myself being that person who uses the beer at the end of the marathon as motivation to keep going. And that self-awareness is just pissing me off right now.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
The only reason I notice such things is a sort of wistfulness that I wasn't that girl...
Yeah maybe that's it... that I can't be that girl who could have a drink after a run or a yoga class or during a book club or dinner or whatever.

I once was asked to leave a yoga class during a yoga teacher training because I was visibly intoxicated. It is one of a handful of my most humiliating alcoholic moments.
I'm sorry that happened to you. I think we all have our share of humiliating alcoholic moments. My sponsor used to say "stay humble."
Old 01-07-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Honestly, C3, being around alcohol doesn't bother me as far as wanting to drink, thinking about it, whatever. There is nothing to be jealous about for me. I see people act stupid at work sometimes; I don't spend a lot of time hanging out other places where people are drinking. I don't mean it to sound obnoxious to anyone but for me, the problem has been removed. I don't spend mental energy thinking about other people's drinking. My side of the street only.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
There are many things that we see in society that are cause for pause. Things can be troubling and make you think, in my mind that's not a bad thing. It doesn't mean that you are attending to anyone else's "side of the street" or that something is wrong with you because you've made an observation that bothers you in some way. I think you are correct in that you are in a state of becoming "awake" to some of these ideas/feelings and you've experienced a huge shift in perspective surrounding alcohol use.

As far as yoga is concerned, I just think it's weird because yoga is not just a physical practice...it's very mental and the goal is authenticity, connectedness, mindfulness, equanimity, etc. The serious yogis/yoginis that I know are on the "path to self" and so use of any intoxicants just doesn't fit into that practice at all. But you have yoga...and you have Western yoga classes. Fundamentally different on so many levels imo

In general, "exercise and drinking" to me is like ordering a Big Mac and a diet coke. They just don't go together lol but to each their own.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I live in Ireland and the extent to which the booze and sports 'industries' are intertwined is crazy.

Guinness are one of if not the largest sponsors of sporting associations. The European rugby club championships are branded the Heineken Cup.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Years ago, I used to work out about 6 days/week. It became one of my favorite things to go grab a 6-pack after I finished. It didn't take long before I started shortening the workouts, eventually eliminating them altogether, in favor of only working the bicep on my right arm.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:08 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

As far as yoga is concerned, I just think it's weird because yoga is not just a physical practice...it's very mental and the goal is authenticity, connectedness, mindfulness, equanimity, etc. The serious yogis/yoginis that I know are on the "path to self" and so use of any intoxicants just doesn't fit into that practice at all.
Yes that is exactly why it puzzled me so very much. I know a lot of people who found yoga during recovery. Yoga traditionally is a very spiritual practice and mixing beer into that equation just didn't make any sense.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KAD View Post
Years ago, I used to work out about 6 days/week. It became one of my favorite things to go grab a 6-pack after I finished. It didn't take long before I started shortening the workouts, eventually eliminating them altogether, in favor of only working the bicep on my right arm.
I hear you. Some days I worked out just to burn off the wine calories from the night before...
Old 01-07-2017, 09:10 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Centered3 View Post
Beer at a marathon? That I haven't heard but good for you for laughing. If I was still drinking I'd be joining a book club with wine drinkers but now it just irritates me that people drink wine at book clubs.
Yeah it really was a mood lifter that for a brief period made me forget about the mental and physical struggles I was in the midst of. In the years since I first saw it in the 2008 marathon I mentioned it's become more prevalent. I find it amusing and since the priority is finishing 26.2 miles to the best of my knowledge nobody is hanging around chugging beers.

Funny you should mention a book club, because I had a meeting last night. There were 6 of us. Two don't drink at all and everyone else had a very moderate amount of the beer and wine that was offered. It doesn't bother me at all that some one wants a glass of wine/beer with their dinner. They're free to choose their beverage of choice just as I am and mine was club soda last night. Unlike some book clubs we discuss the book in depth and don't use the occasion as an excuse to drink so between that and the fact that we all have to drive home there isn't a lot of booze consumed by the group.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by centered3
Yoga traditionally is a very spiritual practice
Traditionally, yes. But, I think Western Yoga Classes are an entirely different animal. That's more the "white-girl-in-yoga-pants-with-a-pumpkinspicelatte" mentality taking selfies with hashtags like #namastehustlin' #goals lol
Old 01-07-2017, 09:19 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I think Western Yoga Classes are an entirely different animal. That's more the "white-girl-in-yoga-pants-with-a-pumpkinspicelatte" mentality taking selfies with hashtags like #namastehustlin' #goals lol
Hahahahahahahaha I loved this!!!!!
Next up meditation + jello shots
Old 01-07-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Of my friends/acquaintances who are into running, most take it seriously and no longer drink at all or perhaps have a few social drinks a year (and some were fairly heavy boozers in their twenties and into their early thirties) . Mind you, I wouldn't rule out that beer is handed out at the end of runs and marathons in Ireland also.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
waking down

Thanks Scott. How would you apply mindfulness and meditation to this?

How do you practice acceptance?
I'm not Scott, but I'll respond to this. There are at least a couple of aspects to this. First, meditation (vipassana, anyway) trains the mind to observe our thoughts and emotions through sustained mindfulness and embodied awareness. We practice nonjudgmental acceptance of our internal and bodily experiences. Second, the more we practice acceptance of self, the more we become accepting of others and of the world as it is.

Tara Brach wrote a book about this called Radical Acceptance. There are talks on youtube by her, as well. Another good read is Ruling Your World by Sakyong Mipham. My paragraph above is greatly simplified and summarized, so I recommend deeper reading an viewing regarding these practices. They've changed my life and helped me to be enthusiastic about embracing life without substances.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yes that is exactly why it puzzled me so very much. I know a lot of people who found yoga during recovery. Yoga traditionally is a very spiritual practice and mixing beer into that equation just didn't make any sense.
I think 'western' yoga is completely/totally different than what is practiced by yogis in India. We have 'commercialized' yoga to a point where there is just no comparison. The idea of using the body to channel God would pretty much baffle the blond, chiseled ladies at my hot yoga class. But that's cool, its fun and a great work out.

We have a dharma center where they use asanas during meditation to help channel the divine. Its cool.

Have you ever heard of Y12SR? Its very cool. No beer
Old 01-07-2017, 10:34 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi C3 first thing to accept is we are surrounded by alcohol and drugs and food .
I hear you a lot about this ''high bottom drunk '' if you read the past couple of days Big Book Study ''more about Alcoholism '' especially Fred , he was in an asylum twice with alcoholism '' he only felt the nip of the wringer ''before being ''mangled '' he is termed ''high bottom '' he never lost anything materially or family . I have never been in an asylum once with alcoholism .

Acceptance is for us to change. lol.

Stevie x
Old 01-07-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
quat

Yoga and beer go together like peanut butter and proper accounting practices.

I approach my recovery like I am the only person on earth who ever quit, and in most senses it's true, I am the only one who quit my drinking.

Pop culture pisses me off all the time, and not just because I'm a curmudgeon ( though maybe that too, lol). The genealogical interest in all the DNA testing and learning heritage thing, I mean wtf? If you like lederhosen , you like lederhosen yeah?! How is it all of sudden you should like kilt wearing ?!

Being/getting irritated at such things isn't a sign of where I am in my recovery, ending my recovery and drinking again is the sign.

Keep truckin.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
I'm not Scott, but I'll respond to this. There are at least a couple of aspects to this. First, meditation (vipassana, anyway) trains the mind to observe our thoughts and emotions through sustained mindfulness and embodied awareness. We practice nonjudgmental acceptance of our internal and bodily experiences. Second, the more we practice acceptance of self, the more we become accepting of others and of the world as it is.
Thanks, zerothehero! :-) I have to look more into "nonjudgmental acceptance."

Tara Brach wrote a book about this called Radical Acceptance. There are talks on youtube by her, as well. Another good read is Ruling Your World by Sakyong Mipham. My paragraph above is greatly simplified and summarized, so I recommend deeper reading an viewing regarding these practices. They've changed my life and helped me to be enthusiastic about embracing life without substances.
Thank you for the recommendations! I will add these books to my wishlist. Your last sentence is especially encouraging.