SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Quit drinking feeling ill to say the least. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/402812-quit-drinking-feeling-ill-say-least.html)

Dexter1007 01-02-2017 01:04 PM

Quit drinking feeling ill to say the least.

Hi,
I have gone over a week with out booze. I drank half a bottle of vodka a night for years heavy drinker for the past twenty.
I am struggling with itchy skin pain in my right side and red palms and feet. Can't sleep and headaches. I did have numb hands but this has gone. Blood test come back fine, I don't feel fine. Is this normal? Very worried about red palms, like everyone who quits I think I am dying! How can I not have cirrhosis after all these years of abuse. Has anyone had red palms?
Thanks
Dave.

Doug39 01-02-2017 01:09 PM

I drank heavy everyday for over 27 years and I am healthy (well, to a point!!).

I am 70 days sober and I had the itching thing on different parts of my body for the last few years when I needed a drink.

The itching stopped a few weeks after I stopped drinking. Hang in there.

RDBplus3 01-02-2017 01:16 PM

Ohhh, you are Normal all right, based on my experience. I drank for 40 years. It took quite a while to get to any resemblance of 'actual normal'. Just remember, no matter how bad it may seem, it can only get worse if you try drowning it out with more drinking ... way worse, which I tried numerous times thru a loooong period of struggling ... face in the pavement struggling.

RDBplus3 ... Now Happy, Joyous and FREE ... and I Know U can B 2

PS - Read the Book, Alcoholics Anonymous. Underline everything that stands out, then ... re-read it, and underline anything else that stands out, then, .....

BrendaChenowyth 01-02-2017 01:35 PM

It passes. Write down exactly how you've been feeling, so you can refer back to it the next time you want to drink, because remember, you will go through it all over again!

D122y 01-02-2017 01:35 PM

Dexter,

I am a hybrid at this point.

I quit drinking with God, AA, SR, and the internet.

First and foremost, we here all are addicts for life. We can never drink normally again.

At some point, we began to drink excessively and routinely. No more fooling around w booze for us.

Booze will destroy us if we let it. Everything from a minor hangover the next day to a horrible painful death.

Respect booze. When you crave remember you are an addict. Embrace sobriety, fight the addiction.

Post and ask questions. Try to help folks too.

You will feel like you are going crazy. I still do and am 20 months clean. It gets better everyday.

Thanks for the post.

ScottFromWI 01-02-2017 01:37 PM

Welcome to SR Dexter and congrats on a week sober. There are a whole host of withdrawal symptoms we can go through, both physical and mental. There is no "normal" I'm afraid other than that it's usually not fun! The good thing is that withdrawals always end...so this is the last time you'll have to go through it if you choose. I'm guessing you have seen a doctor since you mention blood tests? If your symptoms do not subside or get worse I'd follow up with your doc.

FBL 01-02-2017 01:48 PM

Hang in there, Dexter. Things will get better. I drank for nearly 30 years and my blood work was terrible when I quit, now it's all normal. My doc always mentions it, like he can't believe it! The important thing is to remember how bad this all feels next time you're tempted to drink.

otter 01-02-2017 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth (Post 6273660)
It passes. Write down exactly how you've been feeling, so you can refer back to it the next time you want to drink, because remember, you will go through it all over again!

Best advice given. If you have a smart phone make a video of what your going through right now as well,

I remember mine like it was yesterday:
  • Can't sleep but can't stay awake
  • Auido hallucination when you start to nod off
  • Crazy nightmares (usually violent in nature) when you do manage to sleep for 10 minutes
  • Turkey skin
  • Hot sweats one minute, freezing cold the next
  • Inability to concentrate and extreme anxiety

Just to name a few. Not trying to scare you but that's some of what you can expect.

By the blood tests I'm assuming you went to the doctor but don't be afraid to go back if needed. You'll start to feel human again after 3-4 days and at least 2 weeks until a shade of normal from my experience.

Document this so you remember. Good luck. It gets better but hell now.

otter 01-02-2017 07:18 PM

Check in and let us know how you're doing Dexter when you're up to the task,

Dexter1007 01-03-2017 02:25 AM

I'm going crazy,my brain is screaming. I am having anxiety attacks which are paralysing me. I have suicidal thoughts, but I have had them on and off for 20 years. I know they will pass. I can not answer things straight away on here my anxiety is that bad. Is there anything I can do to feel better? I tried exercise but nearly smashed my own skull in with a dumbbell. Back to the drawing board on that one.

Berrybean 01-03-2017 03:31 AM

I'd suggest sticking to more gentle exercise (maybe lay off the dumbbells til you're feeling more with it). Maybe go for a good long walk in the fresh air. You could take a sandwich and water with you and really take your time. Look, feel, smell and taste the world. Focus on the right now, and not yesterday or today. You could even walk to your nearest AA meeting, go in and listen to what is being said. (Not need to say anything if you don't want).

Make today's priority just staying sober and living in the moment. No need to try and solve any problems just yet.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.

otter 01-03-2017 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Berrybean (Post 6274625)
I'd suggest sticking to more gentle exercise (maybe lay off the dumbbells til you're feeling more with it). Maybe go for a good long walk in the fresh air. You could take a sandwich and water with you and really take your time. Look, feel, smell and taste the world. Focus on the right now, and not yesterday or today. You could even walk to your nearest AA meeting, go in and listen to what is being said. (Not need to say anything if you don't want).

Make today's priority just staying sober and living in the moment. No need to try and solve any problems just yet.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.

Was just going to respond but you said exactly what I was going to say. Long walk would be great because your brain will feel so much better with something easy but steady to concentrate on.

As of today you're past the 1/2 point of when I started to feel "normal" again. I know it's hell but it's worth it. You never have to feel this way again.

I'll say one more time; if you have a smart phone make a little video to yourself of what you feel like right now that you can hit play on if you get tempted to drink WHEN you get through this because you will be tempted to drink again once you feel better.

Hang in there Dexter. You're not the only one whose been through this.

Mountainmanbob 01-03-2017 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dexter1007 (Post 6273610)

like everyone who quits I think I am dying!

I guess that after treating our bodies and mind and soul the way we did
seems like we should be very sick or dead.
Great reason to stay grateful in sobriety.
Time heals (most all).
M-Bob

thomas11 01-03-2017 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dexter1007 (Post 6274589)
I'm going crazy,my brain is screaming. I am having anxiety attacks which are paralysing me. I have suicidal thoughts, but I have had them on and off for 20 years. I know they will pass. I can not answer things straight away on here my anxiety is that bad. Is there anything I can do to feel better? I tried exercise but nearly smashed my own skull in with a dumbbell. Back to the drawing board on that one.

If you feel in danger, get medical help. Otherwise you are going to experience a few days of being uncomfortable and "weird". It WILL calm down and when it does it is such a relief. You have to be patient. Sleep will likely elude you for a few nights as well. Don't drink, you will start over. You're doing great, hang in there.

whitehorses 01-03-2017 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Doug39 (Post 6273619)
I drank heavy everyday for over 27 years and I am healthy (well, to a point!!).

I am 70 days sober and I had the itching thing on different parts of my body for the last few years when I needed a drink.

The itching stopped a few weeks after I stopped drinking. Hang in there.

I think the itching is connected to the liver being under stress.

RDBplus3 01-04-2017 09:33 AM

:c009: Dexter

Many, or maybe most, of the 1st 100 people in AA were just as bad off as you. They experienced miraculous recoveries, so much so they wrote a book describing EXACTLY how to get from 'as bad as it can get' to living FREE.

So ... please just try ... read the book, Alcoholics Anonymous' and DO what it says to do. When I was in the state you now describe, whatever I was thinking or feeling was the OPPOSITE of what finally got me FREE ... so please just try this suggestion. Of COURSE, you will want to dismiss it, because it's just not as EASY as taking a pill, but it WORKS, Guaranteed. That's why they wrote the Book. It's NOT an 'inspirational' Book, it is a REPAIR MANUAL.

RDBplus3 ... Now, Happy, Joyous and FREE ... and I Know U can B 2

Dexter1007 01-04-2017 11:20 AM

I've got a copy of the book, I will give it a read as soon as my head clears. I'm struggling to think at the moment. I can't remember when I had a nights sleep. My bloods are OK, apart from my cholesterol which is in orbit at the moment.

NewBeginnings13 01-04-2017 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dexter1007 (Post 6276777)
I've got a copy of the book, I will give it a read as soon as my head clears. I'm struggling to think at the moment. I can't remember when I had a nights sleep. My bloods are OK, apart from my cholesterol which is in orbit at the moment.

Yes, be sure to read the book. I'm on day 10 and the book is a GODSEND! Best of luck to you! Keep posting :-)

otter 01-04-2017 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dexter1007 (Post 6276777)

Hey Dexter,

Good to see you're still hanging in there. I don't know much about AA but if you think reading the big book will help you there's an audio version on YouTube. Might be a little easier than reading until things calm down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MAslk2f3Wg