Notices

Drinking on antabuse.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Drinking on antabuse.

So I have been sober now for 4 months and yesterday I found out my girlfriend of 5 years has been sleeping around.

I didn't take it to well and started drinking. not much but enough.
I had forgotten to take my antabuse for the last two days prior to finding out .

I was drinking last night and the friend I am staying with forced me to take me antabuse today.

I know I shouldn't drink but I am really feeling the carving even knowing I had my antabuse. What will happen if I haven't been taking it regularly and then drink on top of a 200mg dose?
Old 01-01-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have seen this put a friend at work in the hospital ER after drinking just one beer,
as he turned red in the face and fell to the ground hitting his head.

They say it can have many different effects on different people but, for sure this can be dangerous.

If you are a drunk like me -- best we stay sober today.

M-Bob
Old 01-01-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, bad idea.

I'm really sorry your girlfriend chose to make such a poor decision. It's not your fault.

Your girlfriend's infidelity is all the more reason to stay sober, get out of the relationship, and take care of yourself. Don't you think?

You deserve a happy, healthy sober life and relationship. Drinking isn't going to solve any of this pain.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Yeah, bad idea.

I'm really sorry your girlfriend chose to make such a poor decision. It's not your fault.

Your girlfriend's infidelity is all the more reason to stay sober, get out of the relationship, and take care of yourself. Don't you think?

You deserve a happy, healthy sober life and relationship. Drinking isn't going to solve any of this pain.
I know it's a bad idea but the craving is very strong!
Not sure if I am going to be able to hold out.

Anyone have any tips for cravings.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by irishlad View Post

Anyone have any tips for cravings.
A nice long walk or bicycle ride.
Plenty of water and bring or stop for a snack.
M-Bob
Old 01-01-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
A nice long walk or bicycle ride.
Plenty of water and bring or stop for a snack.
M-Bob
Long walk I think. wish me luck.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA member

Sorry you are struggling.

Don't drink Alcohol if you have taken Antabuse,seen some horrific consequences of this.

You are probably dehydrated,drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids.I found out in early recovery,when I had an alcohol craving, it was because I was thirsty.

The cravings will pass.

Wishing you well.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

asking what would have happen if you had been taking the antabuse has me thinking you were going to drink whether or not it was in your system.

its not a good feeling to hear bad news, but drinking doesn't change or fix anything. it makes everything worse.

I had the mental obsession very strong for some time after getting sober. honestly it didn't hit until the fog of years of active alcoholism wore off. I fought my ass off- kept busy,went to AA meetings, read the big book, and did what it suggested, and didn't pick up a drink no matter what. just as promised the mental obsession was removed.
this was after my fiancé tossed me out after rip snortin blackout drunk where I had done and said things that weren't very pleasant at the most inopportune time. I dont think I could have felt any worse.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post

this was after my fiancé tossed me out after rip snortin blackout drunk where I had done and said things that weren't very pleasant at the most inopportune time. I dont think I could have felt any worse.
I had almost the exact same thing happen to me.
Must be common place for a drunk like me.

Things sure got better for us once we (stayed) sober.

M-Bob
Old 01-01-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
I had almost the exact same thing happen to me.
Must be common place for a drunk like me.

Things sure got better for us once we (stayed) sober.

M-Bob
i was completey crushed when she tossed me out.
today? very greatful she did AND that we didnt get back together-she had to be reeeeeeaaallllllyyyyy sick to want to marry me!
Old 01-01-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You only skipped two days and didn't have a reaction? How long have you been on it? It should take longer than 2 days to leave your system.

But the fact that you were willing to take the risk and drink with it in your system? I suggest talking with your dr about a different tool. Truly, if you're taking the right dose, and you're taking it daily, it will make you very ill. Or should.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have been told that you'll get very sick if you drink on antabuse. I wouldn't do it, if I were you.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drinking's not going to help you feel any better Irishlad and it will make you ill on top of the antabuse.

I'm sorry for what happened with your girlfriend but at least you found out now and not later on down the track.

Bimini is right you deserve better - and you wont get that diving back into a bottle.

There's a lot of support here - lean on this community

D
Old 01-01-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
You only skipped two days and didn't have a reaction? How long have you been on it? It should take longer than 2 days to leave your system.

But the fact that you were willing to take the risk and drink with it in your system? I suggest talking with your dr about a different tool. Truly, if you're taking the right dose, and you're taking it daily, it will make you very ill. Or should.
No reaction, I have only been on it for about 5 months.

Well I slipped i have had 200ml of vodka. only mild reaction from the antabuse redness in the face increased heart rate but nothing serious.

Also just find out the person my girlfriend was seeing is married with kids. don't know what to do, I mean his wife deserves to know but there is kids involved.

Am I better off say nothing for the kids?
Old 01-01-2017, 05:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You're better off not drinking any more.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm more worried about you and your drinking to be honest.

Do you know this guy and his kids?

If this is just to embarrass or get revenge on your gf, I'm not sure I'd do anything - besides maybe walking away.

D
Old 01-01-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm more worried about you and your drinking to be honest.

Do you know this guy and his kids?

If this is just to embarrass or get revenge on your gf, I'm not sure I'd do anything - besides maybe walking away.

D
No I don't know the guy. Im not interested in revenge or anything like that. Im a peacefully guy. It's just if I was his wife I would want to know.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Get to an AA meeting and start working with a sponsor. Your not in the right frame of mind to make decisions at this point in the condition you are in. You really need some help from someone who is outside the issue and can be honest with you.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Originally Posted by irishlad View Post
No I don't know the guy. Im not interested in revenge or anything like that. Im a peacefully guy. It's just if I was his wife I would want to know.
When I had a girlfriend cheat on me I also didn't want revenge but just "thought he should know". I later learned that of course I didn't give a rats rear end about this guy and all I wanted was to cause her as much pain as possible and ruin her life like she had ruined mine.

I learned to be a better person by working the program of AA with a sponsor. Today I still think about all that junk from time to time but I don't drink about it and it no longer runs my life.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Work on your recovery and don't worry about the wife. Take care of yourself first.