SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   31 days sober. New years eve. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/402672-31-days-sober-new-years-eve.html)

Justme12 12-31-2016 09:01 AM

31 days sober. New years eve.

I have been sober from alcohol for 31 days and tonight is the big one, new years eve.

I cannot honestly recall the last time I was sober on new years eve, it must be a good 10 years. I am at home alone tonight, I have turned my phone off and told everyone that I am staying in tonight to avoid going out and drinking, I cannot trust myself to go out and not drink.

However, as the night is setting in I am feeling overwhelmed, compelled and careless. It is the series of feelings only someone with an alcohol problem can understand. I know that if I was to go out tonight and drink that I would be facing horrendous consequences come tomorrow but somehow, this is not dampening my want to go out tonight. I have been doing very well this past month and can only recall one or two very overwhelming urges to drink that I was able to subside and stay sober.

I do not feel in control tonight, I am scared for the outcome of what is going to be a very very long night.

Good luck to everyone staying sober tonight, it is the toughest night of the year for many.

JeffreyAK 12-31-2016 09:11 AM

Can you find a project to occupy yourself with, so you can fixate on what you're doing instead of what you're not doing? Could be anything, clean the house, build a model car, read a book, play a musical instrument, anything that takes your mind away and gives you craving relief.

I personally didn't have a problem with my first sober New Year's Eve, since I was still in bad detox and shaking and vomiting and hallucinating. But even the years before, it wasn't a big night for me, and I viewed it as "amateur night" - a great night to do what I would normally do anyways, drink a lot of alcohol, while staying home and avoiding trouble and police.

SWTPEA61 12-31-2016 09:12 AM

JUSTME12
relax take a deeeeep breath.............now think of some movies that you really enjoy and plan on watching them tonight preferably a comedy laughter is the best medicine.
Take a hot bath with Mr. Bubbles....it will remind you of your youth.
Get some of your favorite snacks...popcorn for the movie.
31 days is a great accomplishment don't **** it up.

MariahGayle 12-31-2016 09:28 AM

31 days is fabulous Justme! I have been struggling here but have a few days sober & will bring in this New Year sober......you are not alone in this. Have you done any journaling? Maybe writing a wish list of things you would like to do in 2017? Wishing you a great sober New Year Justme!

SnazzyDresser 12-31-2016 09:39 AM

You're killing it, Justme! 31 days is terrific.

Soberwolf 12-31-2016 09:56 AM

Congratulations :scoregood

biminiblue 12-31-2016 09:59 AM

Have you been to an AA meeting before? Around here they have meetings 24/7 over this weekend.

Worth a try? There will be others who are just where you are. You may be able to help someone. Someone will be there on Day One, and you may be able to give them hope that they can make it to a month like you have.

Also, stick around here and keep reading. I did that a lot in early days.

Doug39 12-31-2016 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Justme12 (Post 6269333)
I have been sober from alcohol for 31 days and tonight is the big one, new years eve.

I cannot honestly recall the last time I was sober on new years eve, it must be a good 10 years. I am at home alone tonight, I have turned my phone off and told everyone that I am staying in tonight to avoid going out and drinking, I cannot trust myself to go out and not drink.

However, as the night is setting in I am feeling overwhelmed, compelled and careless. It is the series of feelings only someone with an alcohol problem can understand. I know that if I was to go out tonight and drink that I would be facing horrendous consequences come tomorrow but somehow, this is not dampening my want to go out tonight. I have been doing very well this past month and can only recall one or two very overwhelming urges to drink that I was able to subside and stay sober.

I do not feel in control tonight, I am scared for the outcome of what is going to be a very very long night.

Good luck to everyone staying sober tonight, it is the toughest night of the year for many.

Please don't take offense, but you don't sound like you truly want to stay sober. 31 days is great - don't ruin it.

Who cares if it is New Years Eve. I drank everyday for 27 years. New Years Eve is just another day to me. Just because "everyone is doing it" why does everyone have to drink? Who cares.

Delilah1 12-31-2016 10:27 AM

Hello,

First, congratulations on getting through those first 31 days, the first month is the hardest and you are past it.

You are smart to stay in. Finding a project, book, Netflix. Series sounds like a good way to pass the time. Out on some cozy clothes, make a few great snacks and settle in for the evening.

Make sure you don't have alcohol in the house, you don't need temptations at this point.

One thing that has really worked for me is playing the tape through. Picture yourself waking up tomorrow morning, there are two options one has you on day 32, clear headed, lots of energy, and ready to kick off 2017 feeling great.

The other side of that tape has you going out tonight, drinking, somehow getting back home, the light starts to come in the window tomorrow morning, and you squint to keep the light out, and ward off the looming headache, the room is spinning, the thought of food makes you queasy, and you are back to day one. Don't choose this option!

You can do this, onward to 2017 and day 32!!!

Sunny27 12-31-2016 10:34 AM

Congrats on your 31 days!!!

When I needed reassurance I was doing the righ thing staying away from alcohol, I read stories on here. Think how amazing it will feel starting a new year without regrets from a boozy night out.

I have faith you can do this x

Berrybean 12-31-2016 10:42 AM

It's just a few hours. Stay sober one hour at a time if you need to. And if yiu can look up and get to a meeting so you see the New Year in with some new sober fellows, so much the better.

Honestly, you're not missing anything different tonight to what you've missed for the last 31. Play the tape forward. What would happen if you had that drink tonight. How will you feel in the morning walking up with that sinking feeling knowing you blew that sobriety and are back to day 0? How would you feel coming get on here and saying you drank? Or even better, read through your post that you wrote last time you carried through with the compulsion and didn't push through the discomfort... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-5-months.html We all have choices to make every day in sobriety. Make a good un tonight.

What have you been doing to stay sober for the past month? Is there something that has been in place that is absent tonight? (Sometimes when we're out of our routine, standard things in our plan can slip). Have you checked those HALT triggers?

Stick with us. You can do this.

heartcore 12-31-2016 10:56 AM

It is a hard night for me over the years, & the funny thing is that in periods that I have been drinking I never-ever had a really kick-ass NYE. So it's not even a memory that I pine for, it's a complex fantasy based on movies & commercials... In real life, it's a bunch of folks getting sloppy drunk & lots of alcohol related car accidents...

I've come to some compromise, because I find if I'm locked in my house entirely I feel remote. Tonight I'm going to a fancy potluck (& I know I can handle a dinner party, even if others drink). Then I'll be home & in my jammies by 10ish, safe & sound. Cuddle the pup (who needs me, because he's scared of fireworks).

I'm working on doing "special things" on holidays, but exiting way before the real chaos revelry begins (that's how I did Christmas, too).

I liked Delilah's post - tomorrow is the real holiday! The first day of forever, & you can wake to it with joy & confidence in self!

zjw 12-31-2016 12:14 PM

have a quiet night at home go to bed early nothing to see anyhow. thats what i do.

Gottalife 12-31-2016 12:45 PM

This year I managed to stay up till midnight and see the new year in. First time for ages. It is really just another day. When I was drinking I had usually passed out by about 9.00 pm. Never made it to midnight, generally drunk on my own. The last year or two I was never invited to any thing.

PurpleKnight 12-31-2016 12:47 PM

Day 31 is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!! :scoregood

Avra 12-31-2016 01:28 PM

way to go on 31 days. As others have said, play the tape forward to tomorrow. Imagine how you will most certainly feel then if you blow it tonight.

Feelings pass, that's all they are. Once you have firmly decided you are not drinking, the feelings tend to pass and you can get on with your evening. its only when you are considering doing it that the struggle ensues. 31 days is great, don't let it go over an evening that is just that, another evening.

Dee74 12-31-2016 06:03 PM

How are you doing justme? 31 days is great :)

D

sonkien 12-31-2016 06:25 PM

Hey justme, congrats on 31 days! I hope I can continue to work as hard as you have. I'm on day 3. I also told my friends I'll be staying home tonight. This will be my first sober New Years since I was of drinking age. I know you have the willpower to hit 32 and much more!