Notices

Day one of quitting

Old 12-30-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the advise. I'm still definitely considering medical aid if needed. It's been about 54 hours since my last drink through day 1 I had mild shakes, pain maybe liver inflammation, nausea, a racing heart at night, and insomnia.

Today I feel almost normal just a little tired, none of those s/s. I find it likely that I may still suffer from insomnia tonight, but dunno for sure. I also drank plenty of water and ate two meals today. Still have 4.5 hours before bed, but I'm curious if this is a mild withdrawal?
Old 12-30-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My withdrawal was always about anxiety. Racing heart, can't sit still, jumpy, can't relax. The physical w/d only lasts a few days, so tough it out the best you can, and get medical help if you start feeling worse.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Marissa41 View Post
Just curious how your nurse friend died.
Younger than me, found dead is all I know for sure.

D
Old 12-31-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bemyself View Post
As an aside on Algo's comment: 'even' the author / founder of Rational Recovery - AVRT does indeed clearly recommend getting medical help via a doctor or in ER for detox.
He does, and even posts something similar on the crash course written by a physician who used to post on the old RR forums. The problem with alcohol detox is that very few people need it, but the people that do need it, really do need it, since it can be fatal.

The DT's occur in less than 1% of withdrawals, but on Internet forums, you will have people saying they 'ended up in the ER' from withdrawal, as if they had the DT's. It acts like an echo chamber of who had the worst withdrawals, and some people use fear of withdrawal as a reason to keep drinking.

I don't even think ER's could even handle the load if everyone went to the ER for withdrawal. Most of the time, detox can easily be handled by a primary doctor, with little trouble, and without an ER bill. If the primary physician can't handle it, they will refer patients elsewhere.

Originally Posted by bemyself View Post
His main argument, as you know Algo, is more about not signing up for 'further addiction treatment'. Which is neither here nor there for someone starting out like Sonkien. That's a whole other issue which is her responsibility and choice.
I could be wrong, but I doubt that Sonkien is going to want to go to rehab if she can't afford to take a day off work or delay starting school. I'm mindful of Dee's counterpoint, since people do die like flies from the effects of alcohol addiction, usually from accidents, but some people are simply not good candidates for rehab.

There are certainly physicians and nurses in AA, but ending up on an impaired professional diversion program is usually a problem, and even they don't trust rehab to do the job. They will monitor people for many years, or indefinitely, after making people go to rehab.

One simply cannot afford even a minor chemical addiction in certain fields. My advice to Sonkien is to get rid of the alcohol habit ASAP, to avoid ending up like that. It simply has no place in certain professions, and it can lead to big problems, even on the lower end of the scale.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sonkien!!
Old 12-31-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm not sure how to quote on her but getting the rid of the alcohol problem now is exactly what I'm doing. I decided to stop cold turkey on Dec 28th because I have an orientation early Jan. I could have easily enjoyed New Years with friends, but I felt that was cutting it too close.

I'm now 72 hours sober and had a good second day symptom wise, and a great third day. The insomnia is the only issue, but I've been getting enough sleep with Benadryl to not feel tired at work or after the last two days.

The differences in my withdrawals last year and now is that I was drinking half the amount this year, hydrate and eat more on a daily basis. I also heavily binged last year then cold turkey with 5 days of little to no food or water. This time I've been pounding water all 3 days and eating days 2 and 3.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you purple night!
Old 12-31-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sonkien View Post
I'm now 72 hours sober and had a good second day symptom wise, and a great third day. The insomnia is the only issue, but I've been getting enough sleep with Benadryl to not feel tired at work or after the last two days.
Keep at it!

Rest as much as you can. The insomnia will get easier as your body re-adjusts. I wouldn't use the Benadryl as a sleep aid long term, though, as you can eventually become dependent on it, and start to feel groggy the next day.

Remember that alcohol is not sleep medicine, and using it for that is an easy way to get hooked. You may see people drinking once you start school, but always bear in mind that those people don't necessarily have your history.

Never take another sip of the stuff.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Anxiety meds

I had a bad relationship situation that caused me tremendous anxiety for weeks. Every morning I woke up at 4 or 5 am to brutal anxiety, trembling and paralyzed in bed. I coped with it by drinking. That worked! Ha, but that's not a life! A friend gave me a couple dozen klonopin, said he had gone throu the same thing. Now when I woke up, I'd take a pill instead of a shot. I could feel it slowly working. After a week I went to my doc and told her everything. She didn't like I took klonopin without her advice but was glad I stopped my heavy drinking in the morning. Long story short, there are alternatives to alcohol to cope with anxiety. Sometimes they don't work as quickly as throwing back a few shots, but they will help. Good luck to you
Old 01-01-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

She didn't like I took klonopin without her advice
Yeah I don't recommend that - my advice is always see your Dr before starting meds or supplements. It's the safest way

D