Notices

Prozac (Fluoxetine) After Relapse

Old 12-29-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Prozac (Fluoxetine) After Relapse

I have been spending the majority of this year trying to stop drinking alcohol. I have white knuckled several times this year with major relapses and finally started attending AA meetings. Once i got to the 90 day mark of sobriety i was overall better but still experiencing anxiety and depression. I made it just over 90 days and ended up going through a major 10 day relapse. As we all know the relapses are getting worse every time. I ended up in the ER twice. I'm getting through the withdrawals one day at a time.

A few days ago I went to get treatment for the withdrawal and after bringing my doctor up to speed he recommended Fluoxetine to treat possible depression. I just started taking it and have been reading a lot online.

I was just curious if anyone has had success with this. My thought is that i could take it for 6 months or so assuming it works and taper back off. After I'm clean. I do not want to be on Prozac long term but am looking for any solution to get myself clean and healthy.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I took Prozac for years and had very good results with it. It is a pretty basic anti depressant that also works on anxiety. Don't expect it to be a cure-all. Early recovery is difficult (but worth it!) so if you find yourself struggling...that's totally normal.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you are back rocky. I have never taken Prozac but I have taken anti anxiety meds. I would personally recommend counseling in conjunction with the meds. The meds can help with the symptoms but they don't always fix the source of the problem itself.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My mother loves it so I tried it and I was suicidal last year (2015). I don't know if that was ONLY because I did drink while I was on it, but prozac has been known to cause suicidal thoughts and actions in a lot of patients, many docs simply do not prescribe it anymore. I don't know if I want to take the chance of that possibly happening. After that experience, I will never take another ssri, personally.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi rockyMTNrider --

I have a similar experience. At my bottom with alcohol, I was very depressed. I successfully got sober with the help of AA. But starting at about 9 months, my state was getting dark. I thought it was PAWS and stretched sobriety out past a year to a miserable 13 months, then relapsed.

After 3 weeks, I knew I had to add something to my plan. I became willing to take a big step for me -- but looking back, if you're already admitted you're an alcoholic and gone to AA, you've already taken some big steps -- so I saw a psychiatrist and went on Lexapro for depression. It's been almost 3 years & I've had to adjust meds a few times, but I'm stable & sober.

I really didn't want to be on psychopharm, and still wish I were naturally "sane." But in my experience, psychopharm has allowed me to make amazing improvements in my life. I'm still the same person, anxiety and morbid streak and all, but I don't go into mental tailspins anymore.

I wish you luck, and hope to read more of your posts!
Old 12-29-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I suffer from severe depression and anxiety even when I wasn't using. I was on Prozac while drinking and it didn't work, so I thought it sucked. It works A LOT better on sobriety. However, even on the max dose I still experience the typical ups and down of life. It's not like a narcotic or alcoholic where it gives you that euphoria but it certainly helps balance things out. In my case I had to go on another medication called Abilify to help the Prozac out but most people the Prozac alone will be enough. It certainly helps me, I don't think I would have stayed clean with out it due to the fact that I was using to self medicate in the first place.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have been on sertraline (Zoloft) for many years and it's helped me to balance my moods so they are more 'even'. It's been a big help and I am grateful to the doctor for prescribing it for me. Sertraline levels the emotional playing field for me.

I was taking it while I was drinking, and of course, it didn't help. After I got sober, the med worked as it should.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've taken it too -back in the 90s, it got me through a very bad time.
Didn't really mitigate my drinking any tho.

D
Old 12-30-2016, 02:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Many of us (myself included) have anxiety and depression issues that lead us to drinking. I'm on zoloft and a couple other anti-anxiety meds that have helped me quite a bit.
If your doc is suggesting to try them out I'd give it a go, it may help with your issues.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

were you working the steps those 90 days or white knuckling it?
Old 12-30-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're back. I was on a a similar drug, It takes a few weeks for it to kick in up to a month. I didn't notice it as much as my family did. It helped me in my early days of recovery, I was a mess physically and mentally.. Wishing you the best!! Get back in the saddle, you can do this!!
Old 12-30-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been taking Prozac for some time now and I think it really helps to keep my moods stable. I don't go into those terrible lows for weeks at a time. I still get into my moods sometimes, but it's at least manageable and doesn't get in the way of day to day activities. Tried to quit taking it, but I was absolutely miserable. I hate taking medication for anything, but I have to accept the fact that this is one that I need take. Reactions vary from person to person, so stay in close contact with your doctor. John
Old 12-30-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
I had started working the steps during the 90 days. I did not make it very far but was feeling alot better until i hit the 90 day mark. I think holidays are a big trigger for me as well.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think my biggest concern at this point is adding another substance to the mix. Much of the information that I have found makes it sound pretty awful to come back off of SSRI's . I am going through bad withdrawals and I feel it necessary to stop another relapse in anyway possible. I am just concerned that Prozac could somehow make me worse in the long run. Seems like there are less success stories with SSRI's than good ones.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Resolutely Staying Sober ODAAT

I am currently on Prozac and it is working wonders for me. It keeps me calm and focused, rather than irritable and paranoid.

I have not experienced any adverse side affects from that med. I know there is a laundry list of them (as with ALL meds), but overall I have had a very positive reaction to Prozac.

I don't know if it helped with my drinking, but it sure helps with the other parts of my life, which I am sure in turn helps with the cravings for beer/rum/etc...
Old 12-30-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm anti meds.

Soooooo. I did it without. The body I was given is going to go out without psyche medication. I have to deal with life on life's terms.

There are lots of Cognitive Behavior techniques and meditation, prayer, exercise, nutrition, reading, 12 Step programs, etcetra which can address most problems - I just had to believe I would find the answers. I made medication the absolute last resort.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
The AA that worked for me was steps, meetings, sponsor. 90 days was enough to bring about the required changes.

The AA that didn't work for me was meetings, meetings, meetings. Maybe meds would have helped me stay sober that way, but based on what I have seen, I don't think I would have stuck around for that kind of sobriety. In my belief I can't get sobriety from a different kind of bottle.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My last drink was October 24, 2016.

I started taking Celexa for depression and anxiety on October 27.

On December 6 my doctor upper the Celexa and added Remeron.

Feeling better but still have bad days.

I am going to start going to AA next week.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rockyMTNrider View Post
I think my biggest concern at this point is adding another substance to the mix. Much of the information that I have found makes it sound pretty awful to come back off of SSRI's . I am going through bad withdrawals and I feel it necessary to stop another relapse in anyway possible. I am just concerned that Prozac could somehow make me worse in the long run. Seems like there are less success stories with SSRI's than good ones.
Dr Google will have tons of horror stories that aspirin is the worst drug on the planet. I really would take it with a huge grain of salt.
ssri's are one of the safety drugs on the market as to why docs prescribe them without issue and a hell of a lot better than alcohol which is literally pure poison.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I just had a follow up call from my doctors office on the progression of the Prozac. I am still very moody but at this point I am going to go ahead with there recommendation to continue with the recommended dosage. Per all available information it takes a few weeks before you really see any effects. I have not had any alcohol since 12/23/16. This is the same day I started taking it. I guess that I will continue with this and see what happens. No major side effects have hit me other than loss of appetite which could still be related to the alcohol withdrawal. Every time I quit drinking it has been a huge struggle to get myself eating again. I appreciate everyone's feedback and hope for the best moving forward. I will update this as I go so maybe it can help someone else down the road.