Notices

First Symptoms?

Old 12-29-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

If you're concerned about your drinking, then you most likely have a problem. It took me years to admit to myself that I had a problem, and then years to do something about it. As for symptoms, I had the morning shakes, high blood pressure, insomnia, anxiety, paranoia, panic attacks, elevated liver enzymes, stomach problems, suicidal thoughts and a few others that I've since forgotten.

The point is, that alcoholism is progressive and left untreated, it will eventually kill you one way or another.

I'm glad you're here and I wish you the best. This is a recovery site and if you wish to stop drinking for good, you'll find a lot of support. If you simply wish to moderate your drinking, then don't expect a whole lot of understanding. The choice is yours.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Bleurgh,
My initial symptoms were increased length of hangovers, anxiety and skin issues. Over time these increased, then let up a little, then increased, etc.

I was much like you. Rarely out of control, I drank a bit more than most while building a career and not getting into any trouble.

Ask me anything you like. No judgment here. -I will commend you on your self awareness, however.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It sounds like you drink shitloads. I think you should get it checked out.

My symptoms weren't what Google said they were. Sure, I had some anxiety and insomnia. But I had no auditory or visual hallucinations. I didn't have the shakes. I knew where and when I was. I didn't even have a headache. I "thought" I had it under control because I only drank on my days off. You know, because drinking a 1.75 liter bottle of vodka in 3 days is controlled drinking. This is just one big, long hangover. I was wrong. I went to the Dr. Guess what? I drink too much. I got help. I got checked out. Been sober for a week. Needed a Librium taper to help me with it.

So, once again, I say, It sounds like you drink shitloads. I think you should get it checked out
Old 12-29-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Bleurgh,

The symptom that first led me to believe I may have had a problem (aside from the obvious functional problems caused by heavy drinking) was severe bruising that I couldn't explain, very ugly bruises in areas where I had not had any injury or had hurt myself. I later learned that is a possible indication of liver damage. Beyond that, the symptoms were mostly withdrawal related (and of course withdrawal means physical dependence), and these did include itching, as you mentioned. But I did not experienced that other than during a withdrawal scenario. Also profuse sweating, low-grade nausea, shakiness, anxiety bordering on paranoia, and later, seizures.

Hope that helps. Good luck, whatever course of action you decide.