SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Been drinking everyday for 2 years.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/402450-been-drinking-everyday-2-years.html)

Cristina1990 12-27-2016 10:56 AM

Been drinking everyday for 2 years....

Hi my name is Cristina, and I have been drinking 2 years everyday straight. I want to stop but as I read about the danger of it I get scared. I know that I should do it with medical help, I just don't know what to expect from the withdraws. I mean the little bit I have experience from the withdraws I can say is not that bad but I have not been sober for 24 hours to know how bad it actually gets. I'm so embarrassed to even be writing this, I never thought that I would be here 3 years ago. Now I don't know what it's gonna take for me to stop because I know I want to, but once this hang over is over I'm always back at it again. I'm looking for hope but I feel stuck and discouraged that's why I have joined this site.

doggonecarl 12-27-2016 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cristina1990 (Post 6262533)
I have been drinking 2 years everyday straight.

I drank daily for over 30 years. I don't know what it will take you to quit, but I hope you don't wait as long as me.

biminiblue 12-27-2016 11:11 AM

Don't let the fear of withdrawal stop you. We've gone through it and not only survived but have come out on the other side healthy and well.

Fear of the death that is coming from drinking is a more realistic fear.

Can you talk to a doctor and ask for medical help?

PurpleKnight 12-27-2016 11:37 AM

Welcome to the Forum Cristina, great to have you with us!! :wave:

Sunny27 12-27-2016 11:58 AM

Hi there and welcome

Definitely speak with your GP. I don't meant to sound dramatic, but the rest of your life depends on this.

I remember being fearful of withdrawal as well and I had drank for 20 years. I was fortunate, all I experienced was some light-headedness and a week of intense and vivid dreams.

You have taken the first step admitting you want to stop. Next step is your GP. You can do this :)

JeffreyAK 12-27-2016 12:03 PM

Welcome! You don't say how much you drink, but I drank every day for probably 4 years before I got serious about quitting, and severe medically-serious withdrawals didn't start until after I had tried to quit and failed numerous times. Ironically I drank a lot more during that period, as I was starting to experience more and more negative consequences, and it turned out to be a lot harder than I expected it to be to quit.

Some folks will insist you see a doctor, and that's a great idea but it can also harm people who decide they don't want to see a doctor, and who will use that as an excuse to keep drinking. Only you can say how bad your withdrawals are, once you give it a try, and medical complications do happen but they are rare.

Can you plan a short break instead of planning to quit forever? Promise yourself you won't drink for a week, say, and then re-evaluate where you are? Just that change of intention can help sometimes, to get you sober for long enough to get past withdrawals and begin to really see your drinking habit for what it is. If you have really bad withdrawals (they are all bad, it's just a matter of degree), you already know the simple fix for that, and then you will know for sure that it's time to see a doctor.

SoberLeigh 12-27-2016 12:07 PM

Welcome to SR, Christina; so very glad you found us. This a wonderfully supportive, understanding and encouraging community/forum.

I hope that you won't let the fear of withdrawals keep you from seeking and finding the many outstanding benefits of sobriety and recovery. Check with your GP to discuss your drinking and a safe detox.

Again, welcome.

soberwingz 12-27-2016 12:11 PM

Yeah, I feared withdrawal as well. Probably kept me "out there" longer as I used it as just another reason to continue my destructive race to the bottom. I drank every day for over 10 years.

I offer no medical advice, however, I do suggest getting a program in place to stay sober long term. I found the fellowship of AA and the 12 Steps as the cornerstone of my long term sobriety.

Good luck and keep coming back.

Jon

Bobbieka 12-27-2016 12:18 PM

Welcome to SR! You're in great company here. A lot of us have been where you are and come through fine. First week sucks. It gets so much better. Great advice here.

Dave42001 12-27-2016 12:59 PM

Welcome,

Seeking help is nothing to be embarrassed about..Wishing you the best!!