SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   How much (sober) sleep do you average per night? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/402410-how-much-sober-sleep-do-you-average-per-night.html)

Grymt 11-13-2019 02:34 AM

Maybe an average would be 7 if I kept records. It doesn't bother me much one way or the other. I like getting up an hour or so before sunrise which means in summer (now, hotdry outback oz) about 4-5 and in winter (cold wet) about 7-8. It's the best time with few people about, birds singing and the air is crisp. A solid day of hard work, meditation, good food and peace makes for good rest. No telly for years now. Ignorance is bliss. :)

Briansy 11-14-2019 01:42 AM

I think I average 7 (but waking several times within that) when I am in a good rhythm and I am not doing any evening activities which mean I get home past my bedtime. In that case I'm probably only getting six. I do have bouts of insomnia but also the occasional night when I get 8 or even as much as 9 hours - those nights are truly blissful and there is such a clear correlation between those nights sleep and overall well being that I try to centre my entire life around getting good sleep. In fact I generally hate to do social things in the evening time. It's just not for me anymore and that is just fine.

When I drink, I up my benadryl / nytol intake dramatically to get back into a rhythm. It's frustrating and expensive. Need to not do that again, obvs!!

ChloeRose63 11-14-2019 04:38 AM

In bed by 10pm and up about 3:30am but, I do take a nap if I need to rest.

joe801 11-20-2019 07:09 PM

I usually shoot for 5 to 8 hours that's a wide range I know, and almost all the time without waking up during those 5 to 8 hours. Since I no longer hit the snooze button and feel refreshed and rebooted that range works for me.

Back in July/August there were Saturday / Sundays where I slept 14/16 hours I was exhausted, mind and body was healing. Great sleep is the most underrated and positive experience, the value has been decreased in culture.

SnoozyQ 11-28-2019 03:48 AM

I would have to say that my very favourite thing about sobriety is being able to have decent sleep.
It’s usually pretty interupted because I have 2 dogs and a cat on the bed with me.
I only wish I could wake up feeling rested and refreshed.

But I’m certainly not complaining .

The awful hangovers I remember laying there...fast beating heart, praying for sleep that never came. Just anxiety.

Sleeping is bliss hopefully 9 or 10 hours I’m one of those lol.

Xx

Shitzupuppy 12-03-2019 07:06 AM

I wish i could sleep better. I guess I’m used to boozy pass out sleep.

On day 9 sober. Hope it gets better.

Reid82 12-13-2019 02:58 AM

Getting a solid 8 hours now, One of the worst things about drinking was the insomnia, coupled with night sweats, nightmares, etc! Don't miss that one bit.

Notch8 12-27-2019 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Reid82 (Post 7332069)
Getting a solid 8 hours now, One of the worst things about drinking was the insomnia, coupled with night sweats, nightmares, etc! Don't miss that one bit.

I often wonder about the quality of sleep when I drank. How many hours were spent sleeping the booze off and how much was actually healing and rebuilding the body?

ciowa 01-05-2020 08:28 PM

I get at least 8 good hours now. I also typically fall asleep before 11 pm. For years, before sobriety i slept around 6 hours and usually went to sleep on average around 2am. When i started a bender i usually stayed up all night and following day.

anxiousrock 01-06-2020 06:51 PM

I am very, very sick right now so generally 9 on weeknights and 12+ on weekends when I get to go to bed earlier and sleep in longer. Of course, this is only if my anxiety doesn’t keep me up all night.

LateBloominCait 12-22-2020 05:59 AM

I have had lifelong insomnia, but on the nights I fall asleep, I stay asleep sober. When I was drinking, I only got about 4 hours of very bad sleep, if I was lucky.

proudtobehere 12-23-2020 05:27 PM

Currently I am wrestling the demon so I need 9+ in order to function the next day. That includes at least one hour awake around 4-5 am. When I'm sober I can sleep 9 hours and feel like a million bucks. Currently on vacation so hoping to work on myself and get back to sobriety.

Introvrtd1 03-04-2021 05:06 PM

It also depends on how I’m coping with the come and go anxiety during my early recovery (62 days today)

:exercise1 :D

Grateful09 04-09-2021 09:09 PM

Sleep glorious sleep

The other night I slept a straight 8.5 hours for the first time in forever. It was amazing. I hope that becomes more the norm. I tend to still wake up about 6 hours in and need more sleep; can go back to sleep after a while but still feel odd when I wake up again. When I slept the 8.5 hours, I was ready to get up and go. I read and hear from people on here that it can get slowly better, so I keep hoping. STILL, it's better than the old wine-induced 3 am wake-up complete with massive dehydration and heart palpitations!

furelite 04-13-2021 07:46 PM

So much better

I get about 7 hrs of restful sleep, maybe up once if I drink too much Gatorade too late. When I was drinking I had a devil of a time falling asleep.... sometimes hours of tossing and heart pounding. I thought I had sleep issues and tried all kinds of remedies....except the one that actually works! That is, no alcohol! All this “wine to help me sleep” is a bunch of hooey.

Vik88 04-14-2021 04:15 AM

Around 9 when i don't exercise but around 8 when i'm in the workout phase. so it goes up and down. but mostly 9 hours.

Vik88 04-14-2021 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Grateful09 (Post 7619893)
The other night I slept a straight 8.5 hours for the first time in forever. It was amazing. I hope that becomes more the norm. I tend to still wake up about 6 hours in and need more sleep; can go back to sleep after a while but still feel odd when I wake up again. When I slept the 8.5 hours, I was ready to get up and go. I read and hear from people on here that it can get slowly better, so I keep hoping. STILL, it's better than the old wine-induced 3 am wake-up complete with massive dehydration and heart palpitations!

I've been there, except mine were beers or vodka/gin/whisky and got thirsty as hell while my heart felt lite cr*p.

Introvrtd1 05-18-2021 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Introvrtd1 (Post 7600940)
It also depends on how I’m coping with the come and go anxiety during my early recovery (62 days today)

:exercise1 :D

Day 138… sleep getting better at this point…had some really rough nights between last post and now but improved significantly

TheSoberNord 05-19-2021 06:19 AM

Sleep has improved a lot for me recently. I had months where 4-5hrs were the norm and sometimes less then that. But now I seem to be getting at least 7hrs a night and I can feel the impact it makes on my mood throughout the day.

Scd619x 05-19-2021 01:28 PM

When drinking i would sleep for about 9 or 10 hours. not drinking i would say maybe 7 or 8 i guess. If i didn't have to get up to do stuff i would prefer the drinking sleep but without the drinking if you see what i mean?