SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Abdominal Swelling? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/402312-abdominal-swelling.html)

AshleyLazuli 12-24-2016 08:08 AM

Abdominal Swelling?

Hi, my name is Ashley.
Five months ago I was in a car crash. I developed anxiety issues after.
I have been binge drinking every day since for five months.
My consumption was around 5-14 shots of vodka a day.
It gotten to the point three days ago where I was having chest (possibly lung) pain.
I was terrified have decided to cut alcohol out of my life completely.
What is concerning me now is that I HAVE gained weight. Fifteen pounds which actually isn't much on my 5'8" frame.
Though it seems my abdomen is very swollen at the very bottom.
Has the alcohol abuse given me a fatty liver? Or is it purely from the weight gain?

biminiblue 12-24-2016 08:10 AM

I hope you will go to the doctor - there is no way to know otherwise what is going on.

Welcome to the site, is today going to be your first day without alcohol? No time like the present. Stick around, there is a lot of support here.

AshleyLazuli 12-24-2016 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 6258489)
I hope you will go to the doctor - there is no way to know otherwise what is going on.

Welcome to the site, is today going to be your first day without alcohol? No time like the present. Stick around, there is a lot of support here.

It has been three days. :)
And thank you. I would go to a doctor, but I cannot afford it.
The swelling isn't very bad. I was just wondering if it was a common thing to deal with after drinking for a certain period of time.

tomls 12-24-2016 08:15 AM

I had the same thing and thought the same thing! It took a few weeks to go away but it did. I don't know what caused it but stopping drinking and using took care of that and many other things. Have a clean and sober holidays!

PhoenixJ 12-24-2016 08:28 AM

I would suggest going to a hospital, just in case. It is not normal.

ScottFromWI 12-24-2016 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyLazuli (Post 6258497)
The swelling isn't very bad. I was just wondering if it was a common thing to deal with after drinking for a certain period of time.

Even if it were common, it is something you need to get a medical opinion on if you have concerns. I know it would be great to hear someone tell you it's OK/common, but there are many possible causes for swelling - both physical and psychological.

Is there a free clinic or one with reduced rates in your area?

Forward12 12-24-2016 11:44 AM

There are free/low cost clinics pretty much everywhere. I would look into getting checked out, though stopping the drinking now will help tremendously.

gregknight 12-24-2016 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyLazuli (Post 6258497)
It has been three days. :)
And thank you. I would go to a doctor, but I cannot afford it.

In my experience, I have had the same symptoms and have been told that it certainly isn't uncommon. It can be swelling in your liver, but with chest pain, it could also be that, and/or pulmonary edema.

Whatever it is I would strongly urge you to get medical help and worry about the expense later. Trust me, you won't even care about the money if it means saving your life. I don't mean to scare you, but chest pains caused by possible edema is deadly serious. I know.

Dee74 12-24-2016 03:32 PM

Hi Ashley :)

It's impossible for any of us to diagnose whats going on with you - you need a physical consultation with a Dr for that :)

There are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding Scale Clinics | NeedyMeds

The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1.org

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.

Of course with the holiday a lot of places are shut, but a hospital will always be open if you're in pain or really concerned :)

D