Notices

Day 1 for me

Old 12-22-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me

Been drinking 3 to 6 16oz
8% beers a night for about 3 years now. Tried to keep it to just weekends or only 2 beers on a weeknight. Wake up daily telling myself im going to stay sober today.
By the time evening comes I get in a foul mood. Feel bad my family has to put up with my mood then I give in and there goes 3 to 4 beers down.
I just know I cant do this anymore. I only feel happy if im buzzed. I have tons to be happy about but cant see it if im not buzzed.
This isnt living and I know it. I just want to get through today. Scared of withdrawl and all the numbed feelings coming back. My kids need a sober mom. I just want to give them that.
Going to do my best to stay positive. I want this more than anything right now.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your story is like mine and I'm on day 1 too.... the 1st step is wanting it to change, and you have.... well done! There is so much good advice on here, so much sober time it's truly inspiring and gives me hope! Good luck and keep.in touch!
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think your withdrawal should be that bad but you could certainly call a doctor if you are concerned or go to urgent care.

Early sobriety is definitely uncomfortable. Sometimes I took it one minute at a time.

Don't pick up a drink, no matter what.
  # 4 (permalink)  

Can you go to an AA meeting? Develop a plan and get a sober network? One thing I learned was that I couldn't fight this beast alone.

Stick with it. Your story will get better.

Hugs.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR JustNobody. Lots of good advice here already, and many of us have been exactly where you are at some point so we understand how you feel. Detoxing is never fun but it dosen't last forever, try and get enough to eat and drink and as much rest as you can. And if you do fear anything severe or just don't feel right don't hesitate to see a doctor, better to be safe than sorry.

Once you are through detoxing you can start thinking about what you might do to address you addiction and other issues long term, because that is where the real work begins. It's not easy but its worth it many times over.

Again, welcome and congratulations on your decision to make positive change in your life. It will benefit not only you but all those around you as well.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=enfinthechange;6255628]Your story is like mine and I'm on day 1 too.... the 1st step is wanting it to change, and you have.... well done! There is so much good advice on here, so much sober time it's truly inspiring and gives me hope! Good luck and keep.in touch![/Q

Nice to feel like im not alone. Been wanting this change for a while now.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all. It means alot. Ive been thinking abou aa meetings for a while now. I have bad social anxiety and have not gotten the courage to go yet.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR JustNobody

D
Old 12-22-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi. Just walk in to an AA meeting . It's no different than walking into a church or any other meeting place alone except that people will be a lot friendlier. I didn't even want to go but I was so tired and afraid that I just went. Give it a few tries. For some reason, it made me feel better instantly,without even saying a word.. Still does.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stay with us at SR, there are lots of people here staying sober together, glad you are here.
bloss