Old 10-08-2004, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting serious about quitting.....need advice

I'm tired of being hungover

I'm tired of being tired

I'm tired of putting things off that are important

I'm tired of gaining weight

I'm just tired of drinking

Anyway, I'm really scared about the side effects of quitting drinking 'cold turky'

Can it hurt me? What side effects should I expect? Any info or insight would be appreciated!
Old 10-08-2004, 02:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Melanie.. Welcome to the forum, I am a 29 year old alcoholic.

Glad you are here, and this place is great for support.. As far as withdrawal symptoms, they are directly related to your drinking habits.. Here is a link to do some readings :

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/withd.../aa000125a.htm

All the best !
Old 10-08-2004, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exclamation stop the violence

If I were you I would be really scared about not stopping cold turkey. I don't know how old you are, but one day soon you will realize just how short life is. Just make the decision and do it. Just start and then take it one breath at a time. Don't worry about what will happen if you stop. Worry about what will happen if you don't stop but most of all - JUST STOP. Ask God for strength and peace. Repeat over and over "God grant me peace - God grant me strength." When you feel weak, when you feel drinking thoughts starting to invde your mind just say those words over and over. Strength will come, peace will come. Just make up your mind and do it. You can do it. You can do it ... you can do it. Now say "I can do it! I can do it! I can do it. God grant me strength, God grant me peace. He will be there. Best of luck. Lots
Old 10-08-2004, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((((((Melanie)))))))

Keep a phone handy for certain and use it if need be. I'm not sure without being there just how bad your personal situation is but suggest checking in with a physician if you are concerned about DT's or alcohol poisoning issues. I would also suggest calling to see if an AA member might come visit with you in the interim. Nice to have someone there who has been through it. Otherwise stay online and see if anyone here will meet with you in the Chatroom for a few hours to see whats up. I'm there now but have to leave shortly.

Keeping you in thoughts and prayers as I head out to my Home Group.
((((((Melanie))))))))
Three Legs
Old 10-08-2004, 04:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your advice and support. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile

Melanie, we're both young and going through the same thing. If you ever want to talk to someone, let me know. I'm only 5 days sober (well, sort of-- had my last drink last Monday morning at 4:00 AM), but maybe we can be a "virtual buddy" to each other. I think you should be able to click on my name and send me an email from my profile, if you ever need a friend. It sucks to go through this alone, I know. No one seems to be able to relate... I guess now that I've made it to one meeting, I should find a sponsor. Anyway, my email box is always open if you need a friend
Old 11-30-2004, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Hey Melanie

All I can say is "what 3Legacy said". A physician is very important!

Futurebound....

There are a bunch of ppl here who can relate. We have all gone thru what you're going thru, are going thru it at this time, or will go thru it. Reach out!

If you need a friend, PM me. That also goes to Melanie.