SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   its worse than cancer (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/401715-its-worse-than-cancer.html)

gezmekci 12-12-2016 03:11 PM

its worse than cancer

if cancer happens you still hawe respect and love of people. But if you are dann alcoholic its atracs other problems. i need help, its goddann trap its ambush!

steve-in-kville 12-12-2016 03:25 PM

Going through the same thing myself. Just gotta keep your head up and stay sober!

Dee74 12-12-2016 03:28 PM

I reckon alcoholism is a lot easier to arrest than cancer.

The solution is simple - stop drinking (simple not easy)

How can we help gezmekci?

D

ScottFromWI 12-12-2016 03:36 PM

Welcome Gezmecki. The damage done by alcoholism can be just as bad as cancer or other deadly diseases, and you are right that it can sneak up on you if you aren't paying attention.

Unlike cancer though, there is a treatment that is 100 % effective if you are ready to do the work. You'll find lots of support here to achieve it if you like.

entropy1964 12-12-2016 03:50 PM

Hey Gez
I'm sorry you're struggling. I know how that feels. There is a solution you just have to be willing.

As someone whose hub died of cancer, there was no solution, it just killed him. we addicts do actually have options....it just doesn't feel like it when in the grips of our drug.

Soberwolf 12-12-2016 03:56 PM

Hi Gezmecki you have come to the right place there is help & advice in abundance here just know your not alone & by checking in with us regularly it will make all the difference

Don't worry about your past or your future stay in the present & day by day things will get better not saying it's easy but if you want it do whatever it takes to remain sober whether it's here or recovery meetings or both I think it all helps especially more so in the beginning because it is a really hard thing to go through & there will be lots of twists & turns but I can promise you it's all worth it & by staying sober I can only say in my case it not only saved my life but gave me a better life

CAPTAINZING2000 12-12-2016 03:57 PM

Speaking as someone that has a mother battling cancer. I'll take the alcoholism.

gezmekci 12-12-2016 04:02 PM

thx ppl. i need help please help me.

Soberwolf 12-12-2016 04:23 PM

My first suggestion is getting to know us at SR it will really help your recovery

Second suggestion is meetings finding a sponsor with some time under thier wings and really embrace this it's going to be hard at first but I swear to you you won't be doing this alone that I can literally promise you

If your still drinking have a think about making a day 1 or if you don't feel ready just yet stick around & see how we do at SR it is truly a great place for recovery

The fact your seeking help is a great move & indicator you want help I know it's scary & everything that goes with that but don't worry we can help you with this

There's even SR meetings here at 9pm EST every Tuesday & Friday with Ladybug Opivotal & Strategy I believe. Theres so much help here it's in abundance & that should tell you the effectiveness of this place & meetings... having a sponsor only makes your recovery better I know it did mine

No matter what I promise you, you don't have to do this alone I hope to see you around SR

Spk soon

Ariesagain 12-12-2016 04:29 PM

There's a crucial, liberating difference...with alcoholism, you have complete control over whether you recover.

The alcohol is convincing you that not drinking is impossible.

It lies.

Dump whatever's left, drink some water and try to eat something with protein. Go to sleep early and in the morning start figuring out your plan.

Tomorrow can be your last hangover.

SoberLeigh 12-12-2016 04:49 PM

With alcoholism, you have not only the chance for full recovery from the disease but the opportunity to regain self-respect and the respect of your loved ones. In recovery, there is true LIFE ahead.

Glad you found us; we are here for you, gezmekci.

zjw 12-12-2016 06:20 PM

I understand your logic. I struggle with issues with my job and often say my family and friends would find it way more acceptable if I got fired vs if I quit. I can tell them 100 ways from Tuesday why I can't do it anymore and all I'll hear is how I can't just quit. But if I got fired oh everyone would have a more understanding and sympathetic ear etc..

It's nuts how stuff works like this sometimes and I think I stressed out my last nerve thinking about this sorta thing.

For me in the end I guess with quiting drinking I was very much alone. Sure I had a wife but she didn't get it. She still struggles to grasp it and really what's it matter no one can do it for me neither. It's crappy at times once I accepted this it got easier tho. Hanging around places like this talking to others who understood helped too.

SnazzyDresser 12-12-2016 06:33 PM

If given a choice, I probably wouldn't want either one! Since it's the drinking thing I've got, I can fix that by steering clear. Too bad every problem isn't like that.

BrendaChenowyth 12-12-2016 06:40 PM

I totally agree with the original post. We do it to ourselves and we become a disease, rather than a person with a disease. In my opinion.

Algorithm 12-12-2016 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by gezmekci (Post 6242363)
thx ppl. i need help please help me.

You are asking for wisdom that you do not have. Perhaps you could tell us what you've already tried?

Aside from the obvious solution, which is to simply knock it off, there are essentially three main schools of thought on the problem, and therefore, on how to proceed to solve the problem.

1. Alcoholism is but a symptom of an Internal Spiritual Malady.

This is Alcoholics Anonymous and the 12 Steps

2. Alcoholism is but a symptom of a psychological problem.

This is SMART Recovery and RET/REBT

3. Alcoholism is not a symptom, but an indisputable fact.

This is Rational Recovery and AVRT

Choose your poison, depending on how you view your problem.

waynetheking 12-12-2016 07:17 PM

Getting mad at this disease is a good first step. You don't have to live this way gez.
I promise you living sober is so much better. The misery and mistakes you have made while being drunk will be forgiven. You just have to be willing and honest with yourself and stop drinking.
Hi, I'm wayne...

fini 12-12-2016 07:29 PM

tell that to my sister who is having a mastectomy next week and I bet she'd gladly switch with you.

I get what you're saying, which is that people don't get blamed for cancer and get ons of loving support.

well, in drinking just as in cancer you are responsible for taking the appropriate actions once you understand what the problem is. and while 'people out there' might not be loving and respectful to you, here on SR and any other place that Algorithm mentioned you will find tons of support and acceptance.

coming here is a great first step.

gaffo 12-12-2016 09:17 PM

I believe that faith was what got me through the first "phase" of quitting. The more times that I successfully got through a craving the more I knew that I could do it. The cravings got easier to deal with and now I really never get them anymore. I had faith that it would be like this and so it is. That's not to say that it was easy, it was really hard and I am proud of myself for every minute, especially the early ones. Treat yourself well. Eat regularly. Exercise. Check in here and talk to other people in recovery. You can get through this and it won't be so hard. In fact, it will be great. It is so much better to deal with life without a hangover!

PhoenixJ 12-12-2016 09:27 PM

You are in spiritual pain. The way to healing that is stopping drinking. It is working hard to fight for a new life. I chose to drink. It is nothing, nothing like cancer.

Delilah1 12-12-2016 10:22 PM

Hi Gez,

Welcome to SR! Yowillfomd lots of support on here, and no judgement.

You should join the December class, you will find others who have comitted or recomitted to sobriety this month. Also, check in on the 24 hour thread every day. Both of these threads are wonderful supports.

Do you have any plans for face to face support?