SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Ho long to "reset" after a relapse? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/401279-ho-long-reset-after-relapse.html)

steve-in-kville 12-03-2016 12:45 AM

Ho long to "reset" after a relapse?

One of those random questions that would make for a good discussion. I was sober for a few months and had a brief relapse about a week ago. I went through the same PAWS as before, some things went quicker, some not as much.

Curious to hear about others experiences with this.

PhoenixJ 12-03-2016 12:47 AM

The last one was always worse, more hellish than the one before.

steve-in-kville 12-03-2016 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ (Post 6229822)
The last one was always worse, more hellish than the one before.

The relapse or the withdrawal that followed?

sleepie 12-03-2016 12:52 AM

I am still resetting after nearly a year. Don't be put off though. It would stand to reason I suppose as I did drink for quite awhile.

steve-in-kville 12-03-2016 12:56 AM

My sleep patterns are the indicator as to where I am. I think I am pretty close. But the test is skewed as I am cutting way back on my coffee intake as well.

advbike 12-03-2016 01:06 AM

Well it varies from person to person. I drank for many years and then quit several times for periods of 1-3 months as I began to really focus on it, and while I felt physically better during those periods, my brain didn't really start to heal and function properly until I had sobriety of over 12 months. I just didn't realize it at the time.

steve-in-kville 12-03-2016 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by advbike (Post 6229836)
....my brain didn't really start to heal and function properly until I had sobriety of over 12 months. I just didn't realize it at the time.

Really?? I thought when I made it over two months, it was like the world was a different place. I can't imagine a year just yet! That sounds encouraging, though.

shortstop81 12-03-2016 04:19 AM

For me, it didn't seem to matter how 'bad' each relapse was in terms of the amount or duration - my symptoms kept getting progressively worse afterwards regardless.

I'm certain that if I had a couple of beers tonight I'd be back to zero with any progress I've made, and it would take even longer to heal.

BrendaChenowyth 12-03-2016 05:06 AM

Reset to what though? Where were you at your "peak", like the best part of your sobriety, before relapse? How good did you feel? It might be helpful this time to keep a detailed record of how you feel each day at particular times. So when you think about drinking, you can remind yourself you feel pretty awesome without it.

doggonecarl 12-03-2016 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville (Post 6229820)
I was sober for a few months and had a brief relapse about a week ago. I went through the same PAWS as before, some things went quicker, some not as much.

This isn't PAWS, just plain old withdrawals. You drank for a week. And that took you back to zero. This from Addictions and Recovery.org:

There are two stages of withdrawal. The first stage is the acute stage, which usually lasts at most a few weeks. During this stage, you may experience physical withdrawal symptoms. But every drug is different, and every person is different.

The second stage of withdrawal is called the Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS). During this stage you'll have fewer physical symptoms, but more emotional and psychological withdrawal symptoms.

ScottFromWI 12-03-2016 05:30 AM

It takes as long as it takes Steve. As others have mentioened, subsequent cycles of drinking and withdrawal can be progressively worse each time. And "PAWS" generally shows up weeks or months after initial ( acute ) withdrawals.

Probably the more relevant factor in recovery is how much time you spend on active recovery. The more you do that, and work on any underlying issues, the better things will get.

zjw 12-03-2016 06:30 AM

when i quit i felt like there was like turning points along the way. every so often I felt as if i had turned another corner or crossed another mile stone or something. it was a painstakingly slow process for me. At a year i started to feel slightly human again but i was a lost human still I feel. But it was nice to be like peeking out of the woods and rubbing my eyes.

as far as after a relapse i'm not sure. I only seriously quit once. Tho I guess i quit once for 30 days i never paid much attetion to what iw as going through and jsut started drinking again there went another 10+ drunken years.

I think its different for everyone not really sure why. I hear some folks talk about how great things are going just a few months in or so while others are still going bonkers a year later. I dont think either is doing something right or something wrong. I just think the rats nest in our heads rewires in its own time is all.

TooMuchAlcohol 12-03-2016 09:32 PM

I find the whole concept of PAWS interesting. If it's real, and I suspect it is -- then I think PAWS is what keeps many of us from getting sober over the long term.

advbike 12-04-2016 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by TooMuchAlcohol (Post 6230915)
I find the whole concept of PAWS interesting. If it's real, and I suspect it is -- then I think PAWS is what keeps many of us from getting sober over the long term.

Well the other thing besides PAWS that keeps people from long term sobriety is not addressing the issues that caused many of us to drink in the first place.. excessive sensitivity, anxiety, selfishness, a rampant ego, and excessive emotions like anger, resentment, and shame. These can be addressed through a program of recovery or counseling. Sobriety alone often isn't enough to bring real satisfaction in life.

Aellyce 12-04-2016 04:28 AM

I quit drinking for the first time almost 3 years ago (will be in January 2017), but had a relapse (~2 months) early this year. The main struggle for me both times were the frequent and intense cravings for alcohol, coming in waves of impulses. They went away after 8-10 months during my first sober period but the relapse pretty much reset the cravings to the same intensity and pattern as first time. Not sure if I ever experienced PAWS, based on the descriptions probably not. I also never tended to have more complex issues about remaining sober, like nostalgia for the lifestyle, wanting to drink moderately etc once I got to that point I wanted to quit for good. The main challenge I have experienced is the impulses, drinking urges in the moment. Now I am sober again >6 months and thankfully rarely have cravings and when I do, it's nothing I can't easily handle. But in early sobriety it was difficult. Also, when I relapsed, after the very first drinking episode, I started to have those monster cravings again - why I continued for 2 months. I also often feel intense desires for other things that I like (including rather benign things) and have obsessive tendencies. I think my brain must be very sensitive that way so I definitely don't plan to play with fire again.

D122y 12-04-2016 04:30 AM

Steve,

I'm 19 months clean and I feel pretty good most of the time, but I can tell...it is still getting better.

Something to look forward to.

If it ever gets perfect, then I might need more help staying sober...does that make sense?

At 90 days clean.... I was going insane...ready to relapse or something....Googled....how long to recover from drinking.....and found SR.

Been here ever since. SR gave me no nonsense..nearly real time answers to all my booze and health questions.

Thanks.

steve-in-kville 12-04-2016 04:57 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

BrendaChenowyth 12-04-2016 04:57 AM

D122y, that makes sense to me. You would think nothing is wrong and you can drink.

But I think you can adjust your definition of perfection.. My perfect life means I stay in the highest level of consciousness I can be in (LOVE) and things that harm me just wouldn't even cross my mind, like alcohol. I would not fear relapse in a perfect state. Make sense?

Doug39 12-04-2016 04:57 AM

today I am 41 days sober after 27+ years of daily drinking.

I quit because of the severe panic attacks and depression...I was just so sick of being sick and tired from alcohol.

I still have anxiety and depression; and feel crappy most of the time.

I did quit drinking for 4 months back in 2013 but my heart wasn't in it at that time. I do not remember it being so physically and emotionally painful that time - compared to what I am experiencing now.

Throughout my 27 years of drinking I did stop drinking for maybe a week if I had to take a blood test or if I had the flu or something; I never remember ever having any type of withdraw symptoms during these times.

I do believe in PAWS. I know my alcohol abuse is a factor in my anxiety and panic but issues in my current life are certainly also a factor.

Jack465 12-04-2016 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by TooMuchAlcohol (Post 6230915)

Agreed, and the irony is that relapsing enough times can actually make PAWS worse - it did for me.