Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Alcoholism -- Disease? -- or -- Sin? -- or -- Other?

Notices
View Poll Results: Alcoholism is -- Disease? -- Sin? -- Other?
Disease?
40.41%
Sin?
4.79%
Other?
54.79%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Alcoholism -- Disease? -- or -- Sin? -- or -- Other?

Old 12-02-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I tend to go by the disease model as well, but addiction is such a unique beast.

I also consider it a maladaptive coping mechanism.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

MMB I respect your right to see this however you see it. However I know very few people who see alcoholism as a Sin, or a problem caused by lack of Morality.

I'll temper that with a nod to M. Scott Peck in his excellent book "People of the Lie":
"...It is necessary to draw the distinction between evil and ordinary sin. It is not their sins per se that characterize evil people, rather it is the subtlety and persistence and consistency of their sins. This is because the central defect of the evil is not the sin but the refusal to acknowledge it"

If I take a drink tomorrow, in some way or other I will be lying to myself, to those around me, to everything I believe and to that Power I myself choose to call God. That lie, that refusal to acknowledge the truth could well be called a Sin. But that my friend is just one man's opinion.

I heard an anecdote recently about Mental Health treatment, Asylums and the beginnings of what became known as Moral Treatment

The story goes that the Quaker William Tuke founded a refuge for the care of the mentally ill. Instead of locking them up, he gave them chores to do...allowed them to contribute and gain a sense of contributing to a burgeoning community. Many men recovered and were offered jobs as wardens in the institutions that used to hold them. This was a revolutionary idea and Tuke wrote a Treatise on his beliefs in French.

The story goes that somewhere along the way his work was mistranslated. ..the word "Morale", which had two meanings, was taken to mean that such labour raised the Moral capacity of these men which led to their recovery. The finer point that their Morale was raised had been lost until recent times.

This may be the truth, a false story, a misunderstanding in itself or an alternative take...Who's to Say?

The disease model is an interesting take and it helped me immensely. I always identified more though with a friend of mine who talked about the dis-ease of alcoholism...the insecurity, the discomfort, the fear...

Anyhoo...the one thing I am personally sure of is that I do not wish to drink. I don't think I can drink safely for reasons that will probably always be beyond my comprehension. Meanwhile I am glad to have found ways of dealing with the ups and downs of life without reverting to type, and turning to drink to solve problems that will always still be there tomorrow unless I learn to deal with them in an adult, emotionally mature fashion.

Long may that continue

P
Old 12-02-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It's only a disease to the extent that any other kind of addiction is: nicotine, heroin, etc etc.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I came out of a troubled early childhood, with a lot of separations and loss. When I got older, I had trouble coping with the real world. I had many fears, anxiety and other issues as a young man. Alcohol was medication for me.. a few drinks = problem solved. It worked for years.. until it didn't.

I believe most addicts use the addictive behavior to avoid reality or emotional pain in some way, at least at the beginning, until the addiction takes over. Gabor Mate explains this so well in 'In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts".

So I checked "other".
Old 12-03-2016, 01:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sin
Disease
Allergy
Intolerance
Genetic
Conditioning from an alcoholic father
Sickness
All in the mind
Just a weak person
Because my life has been crap

The sky was the wrong colour.
To me it is probably a mix, barring sin. The actions of the alcoholic certainly can be though. Some say 'why do you need to know- you dink and screw up other people's lives as well as your own- just do not drink. Period.'
Yes true. I think for me it is good to understand myself and the effects of what alcohol does to me. Some at the end of the day the outcome is the same- I cannot drink. If it is a disease and I suffer from it, that still does not leave me to be able to excuse my behaviour when I was drinking. People with any other disease will fight tooth and nail to find a cure or at least have a safe, stable and productive life. K
Old 12-03-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paulokes View Post

MMB I respect your right to see this however you see it. However I know very few people who see alcoholism as a Sin, or a problem caused by lack of Morality.
Hi, many of us Christians believe that anything we put before God to be sin. When I was drinking, the booze came first. The Bible seems to be ok with what we would call the normal drinker -- such as my wife for example -- proxy one glass of wine a day. Yet, the Bible has not much good to say regarding the drunkard. The drunk is mentioned right in the group of called out sinners.

Thus, for me when I drink I'm sinning, putting God on the very back burner and booze in time becomes of most importance to me.

A nice sober day wished for all,
M-Bob
Old 12-03-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hello Bob, I'm not familiar with the Bible, save for the moral code that my parents instilled in me. I'm interested in the distinction the Bible makes between an occasional drinker and a drunkard (I went from one to the other over a number of years).

I'm genuinely interested in this point. As I said before, drinking in excess, such that it affected my life and those around me, went against my inbuilt moral code.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post

Hello Bob, I'm not familiar with the Bible, save for the moral code that my parents instilled in me. I'm interested in the distinction the Bible makes between an occasional drinker and a drunkard
Hi Tatsy -- Thank you for asking -- I will use the bible to answer.

verses that say moderate drinking is ok.

1 Timothy 5:23 ESV
(No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.)

1 Timothy 3:8 ESV
Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy for dishonest gain.

Genesis 27:28 ESV
May God give you of the dew of heaven and of the fatness of the earth and plenty of grain and wine.

Titus 2:3 ESV
Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good,

Ecclesiastes 9:7 ESV
Go, eat your bread with joy, and drink your wine with a merry heart, for God has already approved what you do.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

verses that say not to be a drunk

1 Corinthians 6:10 ESV
Nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Isaiah 5:11 ESV
Woe to those who rise early in the morning, that they may run after strong drink, who tarry late into the evening as wine inflames them!

1 Peter 4:3-4 ESV
For the time that is past suffices for doing what the Gentiles want to do, living in sensuality, passions, drunkenness, orgies, drinking parties, and lawless idolatry. With respect to this they are surprised when you do not join them in the same flood of debauchery, and they malign you;

1 Peter 4:3 ESV
For the time that is past suffices for doing what the Gentiles want to do, living in sensuality, passions, drunkenness, orgies, drinking parties, and lawless idolatry.

Have a nice sober day,
M-Bob
Old 12-03-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

A genetic defect that brings on an uncontrollable cravings to drink that leads into a disease...
Old 12-03-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thank you Bob! Yes, I'm having a nice sober evening now in Tatsy land. I do appreciate your reply. I'll go think and reflect on your post.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I'm really not a fan of labels. There is something inherent to my being that makes it impossible for me to drink without negative consequences. I have accepted that and I have started living a lifestyle that allows me to be free of alcohol. I prefer to not have it be more complicated than that.
I agree. No matter what label you give it, the nature of what alcohol does to me doesn't change one bit. I guess in terms of research and treatment the classification is of some importance, but it doesn't change the reality that I simply can't safely take even one drink.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I don't think it's a sin because I don't believe in the whole concept of God and sins. Of course, I know that AA was essentially founded on Christianity. That's why AA only works for five to 10 percent of people. That said, please don't take offence if you believe in God or AA. I could care less if other people are religious and am happy that AA helps some people. I don't think addiction is a disease either; however, I do believe that some people -- including me -- are biologically predisposed to getting addicted.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:43 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TooMuchAlcohol View Post
I don't think it's a sin because I don't believe in the whole concept of God and sins. Of course, I know that AA was essentially founded on Christianity. That's why AA only works for five to 10 percent of people. That said, please don't take offence if you believe in God or AA. I could care less if other people are religious and am happy that AA helps some people. I don't think addiction is a disease either; however, I do believe that some people -- including me -- are biologically predisposed to getting addicted.

Feel the need to say here AA does not view Alcoholism as a Sin or promote any particular line on this.

I attend regular AA meetings and know very very few people who take that line (maybe one or two from thousands).

I get where MMB is coming from. We still disagree bit that's OK

P
Old 12-04-2016, 03:01 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

'Other'. Sin isn't a concept that comes into my life at all. Never bought into the whole disease idea whilst I was in AA either.

Doug made a very good point about it being a tool, I second that. I view alcoholism as a coping mechanism that spiraled out of control.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Drink again and something worse may happen to me.

Originally Posted by OldTomato View Post

Sin isn't a concept that comes into my life at all.

Never bought into the whole disease idea whilst I was in AA either.
OldTomato -- Realizing that you say that, you have no sin there -- if you are even wanting to borrow a little, I have plenty and at times too much up here on the mountain.

After giving the subjects mentioned some thought on this Sunday morning regarding -- disease -- some diseases as we know we bring on ourselves. To much smoking may cause lung cancer. Too much sugar may bring on diabetes. In my case possibly too much drinking especially at an early age may have brought on the disease of alcoholism?

Not sure how I caught it -- but -- I got it.
Now knowing that I have it if I keep on drinking (sinning)
as the bible says -- something worse may happen to me.

This has been proven over and over again in my life.
Spending some time sober -- all goes well -- return to the booze -- a living hell.

A nice sober day wished for all,
M-Bob
Old 12-04-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

The doctor called my smoking tobacco abuse disorder. I look at drinking the same way. I personally don't go in for the sin thing; I think our minds become programmed to behave in destructive ways. I think as humans we are all eligible to be tricked and frighteningly easily too. For some of us the conditioning may have been going on longer. That's not to say I disagree with a person being responsible for their behavior I just wouldn't refer to it as a moral failing.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I'm not a Christian, but if I were, then drinking to excess and ruining my life would definitely fall under the sin category! I can't see how any Christian who has studied the Bible could feel otherwise, but to each his own.

I do personally believe that drinking the way I did and and causing so much harm to myself and those that I love was a moral failing on my part. It did not fit into the way I wanted to live my life, parent, perform at my chosen career, and have meaningful and engaging relationships with others. Because it is clear to me how I want to live, doing anything that compromises that is a moral failing for me. I fall short often in many ways, and it is a continual process on the smaller habits that can hinder me...but on drinking...that's a giant one and there is no negotiation.

and I def don't believe in the disease concept.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I believe in the biological models of addiction so based on that, I think what I believe fits the disease concept. Sin does not click well with me here, even though what we tend to do as active alcoholics can without doubt be considered immoral, but I don't think those acts are simply due to errors of judgment or deliberate acts that can be evaluated based on codes of ethics or could be avoided easily, they occur within a condition that cannot be considered healthy or normal. So I think that alcoholism is a complex condition of body, mind and spirit that is not easy to categorize under the same umbrella terms where we can easily put, say, heart problems or stealing form others.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

To me, personally it is an escape. One glass of wine feels good and a bottle even better. Then I can't stop because my brain wants to feel good all the time. I have issues about always wanting to be perfect and full of ideas and inspiration. Alcohol covers up my insecurities and self doubts.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Aellyce
but I don't think those acts are simply due to errors of judgment or deliberate acts that can be evaluated based on codes of ethics or could be avoided easily, they occur within a condition that cannot be considered healthy or normal.
Me opening a beer, putting it to my lips, and swallowing it are all deliberate acts as well as serious errors in judgement. I knew this even when drinking, hence the constant internal turmoil, the "being of two minds", the horrific struggle. The compulsion to drink can be overridden. That's been proven by people in myriad ways for centuries. For me personally, I do put drinking alcohol under the same umbrella as stealing from others. It is equally as morally wrong for me to drink as it is for me to steal, knowing what I know about me and drinking.

I love what a former member used to say(I'm paraphrasing here):
If alcoholism is a disease, and drinking is causing you problems, you'd better quit drinking.
If alcoholism is not a disease, and drinking is causing you problems, you'd better quit drinking.

The bottom line is that, disease or not, it is the individual's actions of drinking alcohol that cause the problem, and only the individual can stop the problem.