Notices

Not sure that sobriety is doing me much good

Old 12-02-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I wouldn't have thought it was an argument or pointless. It goes to the central issue for the op, spiritual malady or mental illness. This is something the OP must discover in order to find the right solution. If your car had a flat tyre, would giving it an oil change fix it? It is important to know what the problem before you can select a suitable treatment.

Many alcoholics, in their journey to recovery, have found themselves being treated for depression when the real problem was alcohlism.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I wouldn't have thought it was an argument or pointless. It goes to the central issue for the op, spiritual malady or mental illness. This is something the OP must discover in order to find the right solution. If your car had a flat tyre, would giving it an oil change fix it? It is important to know what the problem before you can select a suitable treatment.
My energy is super low because work was ungodly terrible today... So I got triggered by an innocuous comment..
Old 12-02-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I could have written the OP post myself. Before I quit I had gotten myself down to drinking almost moderately. Then some digestive health issues so I just stopped. But I really don't have a lot of energy and I started taking Ativan in August. I've had MRI and endoscopy and ultrasounds, and it doesn't seem like anything super serious or irreversible, and I often wonder if I might just go back to drinking a few days a week eventually. I drank daily for twenty years and I noticed when I cut back I was just more aware of unhappiness in my life. And now more so since I quit a few months back. Nothing has changed but the drinking, but the apathy and anxiety have become a real issue.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing Whiteturtle?

D
Old 12-02-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
"One very common misconception that we hear and read over and over is that alcohol is a depressant. This is a myth. "

Is it Fly? That's news to me. Just goes to show you can't believe everything the doctors and addictions experts tell you. Maybe they mean alcohol is an ant-anti-depressant.

Research I read on this site suggested a strong causal link between excess alcohol consumption and depression.

"Alcohol is classed as a depressant, meaning that it slows down vital functions—resulting in slurred speech, unsteady movement, disturbed perceptions and an inability to react quickly. As for how it affects the mind, it is best understood as a drug that reduces a person’s ability to think rationally and distorts his or her judgment.
Although classified as a depressant, the amount of alcohol consumed determines the type of effect. Most people drink for the stimulant effect, such as a beer or glass of wine taken to “loosen up.” However, if a person consumes more than the body can handle, they then experience alcohol’s depressant effect. They start to feel “stupid” or lose coordination and control."

https://ppaccentral.org/alcohol/

It's complicated - but this is pretty straight forward. I will say that after drinking a lot the shame and remorse did fuel my depression certainly.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a good overview - you're both right guys.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-brain-alcohol

I'm not sure we need to endlessly split hairs like this in a thread started by someone wanting help though. Squabbling isn't very inviting....

I hope WT comes back.

D.