Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Famous/Successful People who were raging alcoholics

Notices

Famous/Successful People who were raging alcoholics

Old 12-02-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
I have noticed a sharp increase in my creativity since being sober. Especially when it comes to building our flower/veggie garden and landscaping.

I sorta scared myself!
It's like.. we want to create and nurture rather than destroy lol
Old 12-02-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I think you expressed it quite well Steely.

Personally, I think there is a lot of difference between the "creative" thinking it takes to overcome life adversity and the creativity it takes to make art. I have done both. I believe you have as well. As for me, they are two distinctly different things. One is survival, pragmatic- and one is my safe haven, the place I went when things were unbearable- purely inventive, a relief and sometimes even a joy, validating and reclaiming of self.

I don't believe the artistic kind of creativity is a thing accessible to all. Even within the art world there are those head and shoulders above the rest.

As for there being any special kinds of drunk... well there are plenty of folks who believe there is such a thing and it isn't just artists. There have been many threads here of the "I know I am smart, I graduated top of my class, I have distinctions"... "But I am recognized in my field so I can't be like those other drunks"... "I have always been at the top of my field and made plenty of money"... variety.

It's just a people thing not an artist thing.

And I'm stickin' to my guns on the disproportion of narcissists in the fields of business and law than creative arts. It has long been known that certain careers attract more narcissists than others.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Thanks sleepie, and I do concur with narcissism being largely the domain of the snakes in suits. Maybe my brother is in there too! Grrrr!

I do take your point sleepie, and agree in so many ways. The subject matter is huge and as we are Oceans apart difficult to convey thoughts and ideas in the manner we might like. And besides I'd have to reread Marx, and I'm a Revisionist, by the way. Haha

And my head is a mess. A manageable mess.

It becomes interesting intellectualism in the end but true sleepie, I do dig the difference between Auguste Rodin and the boilermaker.

Glad to see you painting again, as my own poetry lies in the mud. I'm expecting for this to change and am getting a few ideas. Just have to pull it together.

More important for me (now) to concentrate on not drinking, it's as much as I can do and bear.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
*nerd alert* I think he left drinking behind relatively early but he was still on drugs when he left for Berlin and did the Low trilogy...He seems to have cleaned up then by most accounts, bar the cigarettes... That period, from late seventies on, encompasses one of my favourite albums Scary Monsters and the run of maybe less challenging but more commercial albums that really made him a megastar...and then (IMO) he found a creative edge again in the 90s. so yes definitely life, and talent, after addiction. D
He was drinking in Berlin, and after- I think he cleaned up in the late 80's.

I'm partial to "Space Oddity" through " Station to Station," with a scattering of latter day stuff here and there.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
I've been a professional painter and illustrator for more than 20 years. my experience, if i may. the hard-"everything is hard before it is easy" -Goethe the lonely- This may have been true years ago, however, i don't see it as such anymore. With art message boards, vlogs, youtube and virtually limitless ways to communicate with people around the globe we are only as lonely as we choose to be. much like this place. the difficult-I've seen people of all ages start to market themselves, brilliantly i might add and make hundreds of thousands of dollars within a few years. The world we live in outside the corporate inside cyberspace is vastly what we make it. you have to find a niche' and a way to get it to the masses. it's really that simple. -that's just the beginning though. i can rattle off 2 dozen millionaires from youtube alone. and hundreds who come in a sea of a very wealthy inbetween. the romanticism-this is by FAR where most people fail. they live in the daydream and then expect to be discovered with little effort. "faith without works is dead" another...."everyone wants to be famous...few ever put in the work"
Youtube. Don't get me started on that.

I stand by what I wrote. The creative life isn't all fun and games. It can cost friendships, relationships, etc. Art often consumes the artist in order to come into being. It requires an "all or nothing" approach (to do it right). I'm talking about less commercial forms of art. Lots of people create in the "tangible" art world, including more commercial types of art that can make you a damn good living. I was thinking more along the lines of music, dance, theater, etc.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by GnikNus View Post
He was drinking in Berlin, and after- I think he cleaned up in the late 80's.

I'm partial to "Space Oddity" through " Station to Station," with a scattering of latter day stuff here and there.
Yeah, it depends on what interview you read, and who's doing the talking.

A timeline where that commercial mega success period was clean and sober matches the facts as I've read them

D
Old 12-02-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Yeah, it depends on what interview you read, and who's doing the talking. A timeline where that commercial mega success period was clean and sober matches the facts as I've read them D
So he can't blame the "Glass Spider" tour on substance abuse?
Old 12-02-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

Only Gitanes

D
Old 12-02-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

When I said I'd have to reread Marx sleepie I should have said reread more thoroughly, so I could mount an argument in the intellectual sense. I did like Alienation though, quite separate from what is being discussed here.

Rodin rocks in bronze.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Always confuse him with Redon

Old 12-02-2016, 09:43 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Matt M

Oliver Reed for sure.

I have a biography of his and it's a great read.
The guy could be absolutely hammered and still act well.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:32 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

He's beautiful sleepie. Anyone with the name Odilon has got to be good. I'd never heard of him, so checked him out and then saw your picture post. Still checking him out, and he's great. I'm going to purchase the postcards depicting his work as Christmas cards. Only $1:50, and they're gorgeous.

Maybe I could write a poem for the back? Better than Hallmark, I'll give myself that.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:41 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I rather hoped the image might inspire something Steely

I was lucky to see his pastels in person many years ago. They were so rich, just lovely.

Are you out there OP?
Old 12-02-2016, 11:04 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Cool scene on seeing his work in person. Live and deadly. That's Aboriginal speak for really cool in the here and now.

What does OP mean sleepie? I'm a knob, I know.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:05 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by MattM316 View Post
Oliver Reed for sure.

I have a biography of his and it's a great read.
The guy could be absolutely hammered and still act well.
When I think of Oliver Reed I think of great promise unfulfilled.

Not sure what movies you've seen but he's absolutely dreadful in some absolutely dreadful movies.

D
Old 12-02-2016, 11:07 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

"Original poster".... I thought?

Just wondered did Steve in k ville who started the thread have any thoughts.

This thread made for quite a discussion.

At least we can rest assured that sobriety allows for stretching our grey matter a bit huh?
Old 12-03-2016, 12:26 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Oh, I see....you were asking whether original poster was still out there? Glad it didn't mean OP Rum. haha

Yes it did stretch the old grey matter, and at breakfast time, too. Trying to express complex ideas succinctly is difficult, and my head was doing loops trying to condense my ideas without losing meaning. It's all practice, hey?

Good to see you again sleepie. We do have a history.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:48 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

I'm not positive but I suspect Mozart was a boozer too!
Old 12-03-2016, 03:29 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Matt M

When I think of Oliver Reed I think of great promise unfulfilled.

Not sure what movies you've seen but he's absolutely dreadful in some absolutely dreadful movies.

D

He was great in 'The Brood', despite being drunk most of the time on set.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by MattM316 View Post
He was great in 'The Brood', despite being drunk most of the time on set.
I think all of us have had moments where we may have done something good or interesting while we were drunk. That is the outlier though and in no way justifies our drinking.