Notices

alcohol and heredity

Old 11-28-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

OK. Alcoholism? No, you are not "predisposed" to it. IF, you are one of the Asians that happens to have the ALDH2*2 genetic variation you will not easily convert acetaldehyde into acetate. If you're able to drink alcohol, you don't have it!
Do not blame genetic inheritance here, please.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Stop playing the blame game. YOU create your life, you make your own choices. Freedom to choose how you'll live your life?
Old 11-28-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you and Doug are on the same page actually star

Originally Posted by Doug39
I truly believed that due to the fact that alcohol abuse was "in my blood" that I was a born alcoholic and I needed booze to function in life.

What a crock. Who knows what I could have accomplished in life if I didn't waste all that time and money getting loaded.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

He may have just been addressing the notion in question.. I was in my responses, too
Old 11-28-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This Gene Might Affect How Much You Like to Drink - NBC News

So that showed up in my Facebook newsfeed today.. still not convinced it isn't monitoring what I do on other sites, because I swear, this isn't the first time I've seen a parallel to a discussion I've had in here.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yes, there have been many studies showing a small positive correlation between alcohol addicts and whether or not their ancestors were alcohol addicts. It's not the whole story, but it's part of it. In my own case, I'm not aware of any genetic history, and in fact my parents were both non-drinkers. My twin sister has no problem drinking occasionally and moderately either. Me, I'm done with the stuff forever.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

If you were to ask the question, (Are some people more likely to become alcoholics than others?), I would say yes. If you were to ask if free will is as free as we think it is I would say that's a tough one.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-he...-use-disorders

They have found a genetic link to the ability to metabolize alcohol, that can vary from one ethnic group to another... but as you see it says half of alcoholics had alcoholics in their families and half did not.. It's environmental.

I think it's very dangerous to tell young and impressionable people that alcoholism is genetic.. just my thought.
Alcoholism does have a strong genetic link, just like many other diseases. While that doesn't mean someone may automatically get it, it does substantially up the likelihood.
The environmental half may also have a strong link of growing up seeing parents/relatives drinking all the time can leave a mark on children that excessive drinking is a perfectly acceptable behavior.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

There is a genetic component. It's been proven by statistics an genetic research.
When we disregard science because we have an emotional feeling we run into fallacies like: "you blame your genetics for your drinking, but you've proven you can be sober, Soooooo that means there is NO genetic link".
No actual scientist stated genetics cause drunks. What they are saying is that the genetic component can influence the amounts you can handle at a sitting and how much initial attraction there is. This probably is significant when observing drinkers who just don't get it and those that fall head over heals the first time and describe booze like a "missing piece".

So where would this information come in handy? -How about when talking to a young son or daughter heading off to college or whatever. Might help. Might not. But knowing cirrhosis took a couple folks out of every single generation might be good food for thought.

I didn't want to rant, but darn it. When someone (the excuse making relapser) uses information improperly the answer is not to throw the information out.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:54 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My grandfather was a physically abusive alcoholic, my father was an alcoholic and was verbally abusive, my brother is an alcoholic and drug addict, im an alcoholic since a teenager.
There has to be a lack of something in the brain .......when I have one drink i cant stop i have an insatiable apatite for alcohol. It has to be an inherited gene that i have no self control to shut myself off
Old 11-28-2016, 09:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Into the Void

My adoptive parents were occasional light drinkers who never got drunk and I have no idea about my biological parents, but I would assume there is a high probability they were messed up. I was one of those people that loved alcohol from the first time I tried it, I finally felt complete and drank to drunkenness from the start. Does it mean I inherited the condition? Well, I also ran with the party crowd in HS and college, so was it negative peer influence? The whole question is a red herring. If you don't take the first drink, the problems go away.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I've been browsing this forum for years, and I don't tend to see many posters who are excusing their behaviour due to genetics.

Finding out the 'whys' in my recovery has been useful, in that I can correctly identify triggers and behaviour patterns. How does heredity come into that? Like leviathan said, having healthy and open conversations with my son about alcohol in the future might help him avoid the struggles I had as a young person.

The 'whys' are about self awareness for me. Combine that with corrective action and a support system - they make up my recovery plan.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

If one wants to talk about correlations and addiction, look no farther than the ACE study of the 1990's, a landmark in epidemiological research that is reshaping the way healthcare professionals view adult health.

The correlation between childhood trauma and maladaptive behaviour, including and especially substance abuse as an adult, are through the roof.

Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study
Old 11-29-2016, 09:14 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think you and Doug are on the same page actually star
Yes, we are. I'm sorry Doug!

I spent so many (too many) years ripping apart the studies that were done so that a profitable pharmaceutical "solution" could be developed for obesity. You know, once it was given the "disease" classification.

Soooo... I'll stop now. lol!

I really just want to enjoy my research in genetics because I adore it. Stupid pharmaceutical $. They annoy me.