Notices

Need help figuring out what's going on

Old 11-26-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help figuring out what's going on

I've always been a weekend warrior. For the most part, I've always enjoyed myself responsibly with the occasional getting over served. This summer, the partying picked up a notch as it seems the neighbors were always having some sort of party. Did my fair share of putting away the booze as sometimes we'd start around noon and keep going until midnight or later. Then I started having anxiety and insomnia issues and didn't even bother to think it had to do with partying. Got prescribed Ativan. That was a nightmare. After 3 days, Dr. gave me 2mg Valium and I tapered myself off. Spent the 3 days leading up to Thanksgiving hanging out with family and destroying about 2 liters worth of vodka by myself. My question, Have I built up a dependence to alcohol? I've got the major anxiety, insomnia, mental confusion, nausea/vomiting, etc. Or am I just riding a hangover from hell?
Old 11-26-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's hard to say from your post. When was your last drink?
Old 11-26-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

6am this morning. Controlled pour of 2oz. For an hour and a half I felt normal again. It is now 9:30pm.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I believe quitting drinking for six months will answer your questions. Drinking two liters of vodka is not even sorta kinda normal drinking.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was planning on doing that anyway. Probably longer. Let me clarify, the 2 liters was over 3 days. It was just a crazy summer and I tried to act like I was in my 20s again. Paying for it dearly. Didn't know if I should try some outpatient med detox or just tough it out
Old 11-26-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like you've got some history with detox/withdrawals already? Your symptoms could be either a hangover or withdrawals, 2 liters over 3 days is still a pretty extreme amount. Your best bet is to see a doctor if the symptoms get worse or are of worry to you.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dream,

Welcome to SR. I think most of us found this website because we were questioning our relationship with alcohol, and how it was affecting our lives. I am a few days short of 11 months sober, after spending a few years alternating between brief periods of sobriety, and failed attempts at moderation. Truthfully though, my relationship with alcohol has been a problem since I first started drinking in my early teens.

I have always struggled with anxiety, and used to think alsohol helped me to relax in the eveneinfs, truthfully though, it just made my anxiety worse the next day, or more often when I would awake at 3am unable to fall back to sleep.

I think you are smart to talk to a doctor about your anxiety, as well as any symptoms you may be experiencing as part of your withdrawal.

Spend some time reading and posting here. Two great thread are the monthly classes, you should pop into the November class, and may want to also pop into the December class once it starts. Another great support is the 24 hour thread, it is a good place to check in with everyone daily.

Looking forward to seeing you on here.

❤️ Delilah
Old 11-26-2016, 08:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

@Scott. I don't. When I Googled alcohol withdrawal symptoms, I don't have the rapid heartbeat, the shakes, sweats, auditory/visual hallucinations. Just crazy delibitating anxiety and insomnia and some inability to sit still. That's why I thought I'd ask if it's withdrawal or just a hangover from hell
Old 11-26-2016, 08:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Delilah. I will look into it
Old 11-26-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dreamz469 View Post
6am this morning. Controlled pour of 2oz. For an hour and a half I felt normal again. It is now 9:30pm.
I think that answers your question. The eye-opener that makes you feel normal. Sounds very much like you are going through withdrawal, which is a deeper longer version of what people refer to as a hangover, and usually implies some degree of chemical dependency. In more severe cases it can involve shakes, sweats and even hallucinations, but milder cases give you the jitters, anxiety and insomnia.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ok. Thank you. That's what I was afraid of. Lesson learned
Old 11-26-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Perhaps the new week is a good time to go to your doctor and have an honest talk about your drinking?
Old 11-26-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
You are drinking at 6am. Yes, that indicates alcohol dependence.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi! I agree with Deliliah. I am in the November class, and we could use more people. It really helps to be able to talk to others who are going through the same stuff at the same time as you. I'm only on day 7. There are other's in our class who are on day one.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post6222573

Hope to see you there!
Old 11-26-2016, 11:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dreamz - welcome

The really scary thing for most of us here was the speed we went from someone who could more or less pass for a normal drinker to full-blown alcoholic.

The bad news is this is a progressive thing.

I think you belong here. no matter what you want to call it, it's a problem and it's getting worse...You don't want to find out what happens when you're hitting 2l of vodka a day, or more.

D
Old 11-27-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dreamz469 View Post
That's why I thought I'd ask if it's withdrawal or just a hangover from hell
Just so you know, hangovers will eventually turn into regular withdrawals.

And it's all downhill from there.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Your body will get accustomed to having it, even if you're not consciously craving it. If you did abstain, you could get rid of those symptoms. That's all I can speak to, good luck
Old 11-27-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks all. This morning was weird. Actually got some sleep. Just kind of lounged around in bed with my wife this morning where I think I fell back asleep for a bit. Had the craziest strange dreams even though I didn't feel like I was asleep