Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Sober Monday-Friday for work. Can't stay away on the weekends.

Notices

Sober Monday-Friday for work. Can't stay away on the weekends.

Old 11-24-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Such good posts above- I almost always agree with least and Gottalife (and of course Dee) so I ditto, ditto and ditto what they said in particular.

I'm a devoted AA-er. My program work- 4-6 meetings most weeks, daily work of an hour or two on my devotionals (I take the spiritual condition part and daily maintenance AA espouses serioualy) and BB reading seriously. I went kicking, screaming, pissed off and finally....desperate enough to go to AA. Best thing I ever did. You have had an unfortunate and atypical intro, IME, and there is so much more- and SO many people who can truly become your solid friends and support system- if you want to make it that.

AA is a program of action, as are other programs folks here can attest to giving them success in sobriety (SMART, etc). The 12 steps and 12 promises give you a guide for a life LIVED totally differently than when you were drinking. And it is certainly not boring to me.

Sounds like you have a bottom line decision to make: quit or don't quit. Quit, and see what happens; don't quit and see what happens. Many of us can tell you about the "yets" - I was a high-functioning, successful, thought-I-was-happy-and-a-good-person alcoholic for a long time....til I wasn't. I nearly lost everything, up to my life when I was given a year, 18mo to live back 9 mo and 2 days ago.

There's a way out, and it is up to you. I'd also suggest trying different meetings and committing to the rec'd 30/30 or 90/90 (even better; I got about 82 in 90) to truly give AA a shot.

As far as what to do on the weekends....binge watching whatever interests you is a tactic I used like many; being around people who don't drink- for you, this might mean sitting at a Barnes and Noble or such for hours, or such; working out at a set time on the weekends- say 10am instead of so early, or mixing it up (many suggest a walking routine of an hour a day to just get a routine going); SLEEP (naps were my best friend and are still a tool I use when life over-stimulates me or such).....pretty much anything to pass the time til Mon, as it sounds like you need to do.

Bottom line- you have to decide what alcohol contributes to your life- or doesn't. I head a very strong alcoholic mind working in you, and once the drinking clears, that will begin to let you see a whole lot more- truth, opportunity and freedom among those things.

Good luck.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SlickRick07 View Post
Title of thread. I know I need to quit, and I don't drink during the week b/c of work. I always wake up at 4:40am go to gym, then shower and go to work.

Once Friday evening hits, I can't stay away. I just moved to a new city to for a job. I know absolutely no one here. I did join the chess club, but that only meets during the week when I'm already sober. I've tried AA in the past, but they were super cold to me and didn't take to newcomers kindly. I basically was resorted to sitting in the corner the whole night.

I literally drink out of boredom at this point. I know I need to stay away, but I literally don't know what else to do. I have no friends here, I'm not close to my family. Depression has set in b/c of how alone I feel. I'm happy for the new job, but all my coworkers are in their 40s. Its no one I can spend time with. I feel socially deprived. I drink every weekend day and call up random friends b/c I feel so alone here. I should be happy. I have a roof over my head, an amazing job, and I'm starting my MBA next year. But, I'm not. There is a void in my life. And I continue to fill it with alcohol. That is something I will admit.
What else do you like to do other than drink? Does the chess club meet on weekends?
Old 11-25-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
What else do you like to do other than drink? Does the chess club meet on weekends?
Saturday mornings, but they are on Holiday break until January. I like to explore small towns and new restaurants. But, I don't have the heart to do it alone anymore. I've eaten at one too many restaurants by myself. It wears on you after a while, whether I want to admit it or not.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Break your sobriety down into its simplest form.....do anything except drink. That's what I did for quite awhile. You'll make it man, you will.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Reply to Doug 39

Doug,

Did you quit on your own or did you do a rehab? I'm on day 2 of not drinking. For about the last 8 months I have consumed at least a bottle of fireball whiskey at night. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I'm doing a supervised detox at home. My wife is a healthcare provider and we both have this coming week off and have resources. Just interested in how you beat this.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome NavT

D
Old 11-27-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NatVT View Post
Doug,

Did you quit on your own or did you do a rehab? I'm on day 2 of not drinking. For about the last 8 months I have consumed at least a bottle of fireball whiskey at night. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I'm doing a supervised detox at home. My wife is a healthcare provider and we both have this coming week off and have resources. Just interested in how you beat this.

Fireball. That is some rough stuff.

In my early days of drinking I would consume up to a liter of whiskey a day; and that went on for several years. I mainly just drank beer over the last 10 years with an occasional shot of booze here and there.

I averaged 7 to 12 beers a day depending on the day.

Monday, October 24, 2016 was the last day I drank. I was experiencing panic and anxiety for the last several months. Normally alcohol calmed me down but during the weekend of the 22nd/23rd I was panicky 24/7 and the booze wasn't working anymore.

I had a rough day at work on that Monday the 24th, came home and tried to drink it away but it didn't work. Tuesday I went to work in a state of panic but went home early. Wednesday the same thing. Thursday I didn't go to work at all and went to the doctor.

I started taking meds that night for anxiety and depression and the doctor gave me a note to get out of work. I have been on short term disability ever since.

I go to a talk therapist and a psychiatrist now. So no I did not go to a detox. I just rode it out. It was tough - it was a roller coaster of emotions and it was tough physically but it only took a few weeks to feel halfway decent again. I feel better everyday.

I plan to get back to work this week.

Good luck.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi slickrick,

I don't like to point to any feelings/emotions or circumstances as reasons for drinking. The reason being, I will always experience uncomfortable feelings throughout life...that's life. If I make those things reasons for drinking, then the ready excuse is always there to drink. When I set things as causation for drinking, then my brain has set up a pretty handy loop for drinking. When I separate it out, then I can say, "Man, I feel bored or lonely and it sucks and is sh*tty, but what's that got to do with drinking?" The answer is, it's really got nothing to do with drinking. The two aren't mutually inclusive. If they were, then children who are bored in the summertime would all be boozing it up.

It's hard for me to recommend things for the boredom, because I don't know your interests. But the world is cram-packed with things to do. Ask your 40ish coworkers what they did around town before they got old lol or ask if they have younger family/friends who could show you around town. Is there anyone in the chess club that may want to hang out outside of the chess nights? Any acquaintances from the gym you could get to know better?
Old 11-27-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome NavT

D
Thank you!
Old 11-27-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post
Fireball. That is some rough stuff.

In my early days of drinking I would consume up to a liter of whiskey a day; and that went on for several years. I mainly just drank beer over the last 10 years with an occasional shot of booze here and there.

I averaged 7 to 12 beers a day depending on the day.

Monday, October 24, 2016 was the last day I drank. I was experiencing panic and anxiety for the last several months. Normally alcohol calmed me down but during the weekend of the 22nd/23rd I was panicky 24/7 and the booze wasn't working anymore.

I had a rough day at work on that Monday the 24th, came home and tried to drink it away but it didn't work. Tuesday I went to work in a state of panic but went home early. Wednesday the same thing. Thursday I didn't go to work at all and went to the doctor.

I started taking meds that night for anxiety and depression and the doctor gave me a note to get out of work. I have been on short term disability ever since.

I go to a talk therapist and a psychiatrist now. So no I did not go to a detox. I just rode it out. It was tough - it was a roller coaster of emotions and it was tough physically but it only took a few weeks to feel halfway decent again. I feel better everyday.

I plan to get back to work this week.

Good luck.
Rough stuff indeed! I'm on my way into 72 hours. I have felt better than I did when I woke up after drinking. I already feel clearer than I would when I would drag myself out of bed to go to work. I have really been laying low, staying very well hydrated, taking vitamins and forcing myself to get some nutrition. I'm starting to feel like I want to do something. But I am not pushing it. I'm glad I have this week off to relax and focus on a recovery plan. For now, these forums have been so therapeutic for me. I am going to go to AA, I think I'm going tomorrow. The ones tonight are too far and I just want to focus on getting through these initial days.

I am so looking forward to getting better every day.

Keep on keeping on. It's inspiring to hear such stories.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NatVT View Post
Rough stuff indeed! I'm on my way into 72 hours. I have felt better than I did when I woke up after drinking. I already feel clearer than I would when I would drag myself out of bed to go to work. I have really been laying low, staying very well hydrated, taking vitamins and forcing myself to get some nutrition. I'm starting to feel like I want to do something. But I am not pushing it. I'm glad I have this week off to relax and focus on a recovery plan. For now, these forums have been so therapeutic for me. I am going to go to AA, I think I'm going tomorrow. The ones tonight are too far and I just want to focus on getting through these initial days.

I am so looking forward to getting better every day.

Keep on keeping on. It's inspiring to hear such stories.
I know AA helps a lot of people.

I personally don't go to AA; I went to Alateen when I was a kid (my father was an abusive alcoholic) and my mother was involved with Alanon for 15 years. I would like to find a different type of support group that doesn't follow the guidelines of AA.

I am not going to say what I don't like about AA. It does help many people and everybody that feels they have a problem should try AA, it just isn't for me.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm glad that all of you are here, particularly you newcomers.

I was a newcomer, too, a while back, and it feels like you are sitting on a precarious perch.

The fellowship of AA has opened up many doors of friendship and fellowship.

I have friends who truly understand what it's like to be both a practicing and a recovering alcoholic.

I woke up feeling like a million bucks today.

I used to wake up on Sundays fool of dread and highly hung over, and then I would start drinking again.

And feel quite special on Mondays, of course.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post
I know AA helps a lot of people.

I personally don't go to AA; I went to Alateen when I was a kid (my father was an abusive alcoholic) and my mother was involved with Alanon for 15 years. I would like to find a different type of support group that doesn't follow the guidelines of AA.

I am not going to say what I don't like about AA. It does help many people and everybody that feels they have a problem should try AA, it just isn't for me.
I understand that. I'm not sure how it will work for me, but I'm committed to never go through this feeling again. I'll try whatever I need to at this point. I know they say one day at a time, but I just want to fast forward a few weeks.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll try whatever I need to at this point.
Great attitude

As far as fast forwarding goes.,,,I think most of us can identify...but my recovery means a lot to me, and it was getting through those first few weeks that makes it so valuable.

The transition period from drinker to recovery doesn't last long, and things will get easier...but I forget that effort and strain at my peril, y'know?

D